Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

13 wrx misfire issue...strange fix

So in my 13 for the past month or so I have had a rough idle/misfire like issue. The weird thing about it was that it didn't happen all the time. It stopped doing it for awhile until this past Saturday when the engine light came on for a P0300. I cleared the code since the dealer was closed and drove. I ran the tank down low thinking it may have been a bad mix of gas. I filled up yesterday and the car felt fine. Consistent WOT pulls and everything. Until today..I get out of class, start my car and it is idling crappy as hell. Then as I'm pulling out, the engine light comes on. I thought perfect. So I went to the Subie dealership and let them check it out for the second time for this issue.

Tech scanned it and the miss was jumping between all 4 cylinders!! Weird huh?

So he comes out and talks to me for a bit. He mentions that there is a ground wire that splits into 4 separate wires and there has been issues of the connection coming loose. I thought, well, an electrical issue would make sense since it doesn't do it all the time. He peeled back the wrapping and dropped some solder on the connection and what do you know...The miss is gone and it is smooth as hell.

Just wanted to share this with anyone who may have the same odd miss issue with their 08+ WRX or STi.

I actually made this post on a few other forums almost a month ago on 9-10-2013. Forgot about posting it on here as well.

It is in this section of harness

Wow, how many times in life is an engine fix really that simple?! Great info man, thanks for passing that along. (And glad it's back to normal.)
    08 SSM WRX Sedan // TP Stage 2 // CNT Catted DP // Custom CBE // Forge BPV // Cobb HS // Prosport Gauges // Rallitek Shifter Bushings // Forman Roof Spoiler // Drag Dr 31 17x7 (CG) // Rallitek EL // Whiteline 20mm RSB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Great that they found it quickly as little electrical gremlins like this can take awhile to diagnose and fix.

Quote Originally Posted by 99pgpgt View Post
    So in my 13 for the past month or so I have had a rough idle/misfire like issue. The weird thing about it was that it didn't happen all the time. It stopped doing it for awhile until this past Saturday when the engine light came on for a P0300. I cleared the code since the dealer was closed and drove. I ran the tank down low thinking it may have been a bad mix of gas. I filled up yesterday and the car felt fine. Consistent WOT pulls and everything. Until today..I get out of class, start my car and it is idling crappy as hell. Then as I'm pulling out, the engine light comes on. I thought perfect. So I went to the Subie dealership and let them check it out for the second time for this issue.

Tech scanned it and the miss was jumping between all 4 cylinders!! Weird huh?

So he comes out and talks to me for a bit. He mentions that there is a ground wire that splits into 4 separate wires and there has been issues of the connection coming loose. I thought, well, an electrical issue would make sense since it doesn't do it all the time. He peeled back the wrapping and dropped some solder on the connection and what do you know...The miss is gone and it is smooth as hell.

Just wanted to share this with anyone who may have the same odd miss issue with their 08+ WRX or STi.

I've been having a similar issue for quite a while now. Saw this thread and I decided I would take a look(didn't want to involve the dealer because of mods).

Name:  IMAG0115.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  121.5 KB
    Name:  IMAG0116.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  118.9 KB

This seems to be the ground that branches off into 4 other wires.
    Name:  IMAG0117.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  78.5 KB

I dropped a big glob of solder on it.
    Name:  IMAG0118.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  78.1 KB

Took the car for a drive and it didn't misfire, but it doesn't always so time will tell. Thanks for this thread either way.
    2015 WRB WRX
    2011 SWP WRX 5 Door *Gone*

No problem man. Thanks for the detailed pictures so everyone has a better idea!

it actually seems to have worked..so far anyway
    2015 WRB WRX

so update on the issue? has it completely fixed your misfire? i have a '13 wrx as well. car is protuned and everything else is fine, except for that annoying rough idle and only the p0300 cel popping up. ive narrowed it down to it being the wiring harness issue. i cut open the tape and im digging through it. im assuming its the one cable thats wrapped in tape like crazy?

You follow those exposed silver ground wires to the end where they are all joined together by that little clip which is wrapped in tape if I remember correctly. The problem totally went away in my car.
    2015 WRB WRX

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links