Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin

How to use AEM UEGO Inline Wideband to Log AFR

I wanted to temporarily hook up a wideband to log & fine-tune my MAF scaling/tweak my map AFRs, so I rigged up a solution to allow me to install & disconnect the AEM wideband cable quickly & easily. I used Romraider to log as usual, but added the AEM wideband input to give my logs real AFR data. Unfortunately, the inline wideband only outputs Lambda data, so youll have to convert to AFR by multiplying by 14.7 (assuming youre running gasoline).

Im assuming that youve already got a Tactrix cable & the software to run it. If not, youll need that too.
    http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_ details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=17&Itemid=5 3&vmcchk=1&Itemid=53
    ECUFlash (includes OpenPort 2.0 drivers):
    http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout= blog&id=36&Itemid=57

Youll need:
    AEM UEGO Inline Wideband Cable (30-2310):
    http://www.aemelectronics.com/inline-wideband-uego-controller-1159
    Directions:
    http://www.aemelectronics.com/Images/Products/Installation%20Instructions%2030-2310.pdf

Busted Finger Motorsports AEM Logging Cable: http://www.bustedfingermotorsports.com/aemcable.html
    Drivers & Directions:
    http://bustedfingermotorsports.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=124

RomRaider 0.5.3b RC8 Logging Software (1st version to support the AEM Inline Wideband): http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7221

(Optional) I also downloaded the AEM Laptop/PC data viewer for X-WIFI. Im not sure if its really necessary, but I figured I may use it sometime:
    http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php?topic=26370.0

Bussman Mini Add-a-Fuse:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GKEXK2/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lp o-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000CQDRTI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX 0DER&pf_rd_r=00C6SZ2FMB932DSHANAY
    (I got mine at OReilly Auto Parts)

10mm hex bit socket to get the DP O2 bung out:
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=10mm+hex&hl=en&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_g c.r_pw.&biw=1259&bih=809&wrapid=tlif13041910347031 0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=17783119382981985245&sa=X&ei=W2C8TZusLKrv0gH nu83sBQ&ved=0CIcBEPMCMAE#scoring=p
    (OReilly Auto Parts again)

Misc wiring supplies: a couple spare lengths of wire, a few spade terminal ends, a few crimp connectors, (or a soldering iron & solder for you anal types), electrical or hockey tape, wire stripping/crimping pliers

Step 1: Hit the DP 02 bung with PB Blaster repeatedly over a couple days to let it penetrate, or you may never get it to budge. Mine was pretty friggin tight.
    (Whenever you install a plug, O2 sensor, or bolt on your exhaust system, use hi temp copper antiseize to ensure you can get it off later.)

Step 2: Run your quick-disconnect power & ground feeder wires from the fusebox:
    For a switched power source, I used a Bussman Mini Add-a-Fuse in fuse location # 33 & added a longer chunk of (green) wire to allow for easy harness connect/disconnect. Then I crimped a shielded spade connctor on the end.
    For the ground wire, I connected a loop connector on the end of my wire to a convenient screw on a metal bracket & crimpted a shielded spade connctor on the other end. I added a nut on top of the screw to secure the ground wire.

Step 3: Splice the BFM logging cable to the AEM cable:
    Ground Circuit: I added an additional 20 length of wire to the BFM logging cable ground wire & Y-spliced it into the AEM harness ground wire near the end. This gives me enough cable to reach my netbook since it sits shotgun while logging.
    I crimped a spade connector on the end to mate up with the spade connector attached to the ground feeder wire near the fuse box.

Serial Output: Splice the BFM logging cable serial signal wire to the AEM harness grey wire.

Power Circuit: Crimp a spade connector on the end of the AEM wideband harnesss red wire (to mate up with the spade connector attached to the fuse box power feeder wire).

Step 4: Install all the drivers for the BFM AEM Logging Cable on your logging laptop & follow the BFM instructions to set up the hyperterminal connection through an available USB port. I used Port 4 for the wideband & Port 3 for my Tactrix 2.0 cable input.

Step 5: Test it out:
    Install the 02 sensor, connect the AEM harness to the 02 sensor harness, connect the other end of the AEM harness to your power & ground leads.

Connect BFM cable to your laptops USB port & open the hyperterminal window to test your connection. If youre getting data, youre ready to log.
    When you go to test the connection per BFMs instructions, you may see a continuing series of random characters in your hyperterminal window. Dont worry, Romraider will make sense out of it while logging when you add the AEM wideband input via the Plugins menu.

Step 6: Log it:
    Install your Tactrix cable & open Romraider logger. Fire up the car & connect to ECU.
    - Check ECU
    - Choose Plugins and select AEM UEGO Lambda [19200]
    - Choose the External Sensors tab & check AEM UEGO Lambda [19200]. You should now be reading your widebands Lambda values with your other logging parameters.

*If you have any issues with any of the ECU/car/logger definitions missing, make sure you download them in the same directory/folder as Romraider: http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8
    2009 WRX 5-door - Cobb catted DP/SPT CBE/Andy's OS tune/Process West TMIC/GT Spec EL header/Devil's Own DVC-30 Meth Injection/AEM CAI/STI Short Shifter/Group N tranny & motor mounts/RCE Black springs & Konis/22 & 20 sways/Rallitek end links/Whiteline chassis & suspension bushings

Re: How to use AEM UEGO Inline Wideband to Log AFR

Nice write up! I've been looking for something like this for a little while now. Suppose this hardware setup will work with AccessTUNER Race?

Good post, but I have a couple things to clarify:

If you only want to log you don't actually need a Tactrix or ECU flash. RomRaider logger and a $10 OBDII to USB cable from eBay will work. Just needs proper drivers (should be available online). If you actually want to tune and reflash, then you do need a Tactrix and ECU flash. For most people this will be the case, but I don't tune my own car, so a $10 cable made way more sense for logging once in a while.

Only the newest inline AEM UEGO's read in lambda and use the 19200 baud rate. The older AEM UEGO's, and the AEM UEGO digital gauges all output at 9600 and read in AFR (from what I can tell reading online, I have a brand new AEM UEGO digital gauge and it reads at 9600 and outputs AFR). You will do everything the same except you will choose the other plugin within RomRaider (AEM UEGO AFR [9600]).

You don't have to buy the BFM cable. I got a $5 female-to-female serial cable at Radioshack. Cut it in half and had the parts to connect TWO wideband setups Just cut back the cable and strip the wires for the correct pins (you'll need to use a multimeter to figure this out). You'll also need a serial to USB cable and associated drivers. If you want the easy way out, just get the BFM cable.

I recently hard wired a serial cable to my AEM UEGO digital gauge and did some logging. I had a lot of issues getting the computer to read it. I think they were mostly driver related. Eventually I got it working on my brother's laptop, but never could get it to read with RomRaider on my laptop. Tried re-installing everything (RomRaider, drivers, etc), even reformatted the entire computer. It will read on Hyperterminal, but not with RomRaider. No idea what the issue is. Works perfectly with RomRaider on my brother's laptop.

Here's my setup:

| 2011 WRX | 5 Door | Black | Built Motor | Rotated PTE 6266 Turbo | STI 6 Speed |

Xluben,
    You are correct on all points:
    - You don't need a Tactrix cable to log, but the majority of folks may still want one for flashing OS maps.
    - One of the issues I've had to overcome is the the new AEM Inline UEGO's baud rate & Lambda output (I have no idea why they did this). All other AEM widebands use conventional 9600 baud rate & read in AFR.
    - For most people, spending $20 is worth the simplicity of a plug-n-play cable vs. building their own connector/cable. I had enough headaches doing this the "easy" way; I'm not sure I would still be screwing with it if I had to deal with any more issues. I'm not a very techy guy, so I usually prefer the most idiot-proof solution.

Sorry Gravy - I'm not sure if the drivers will work with AP Tuner Race. :-\
    2009 WRX 5-door - Cobb catted DP/SPT CBE/Andy's OS tune/Process West TMIC/GT Spec EL header/Devil's Own DVC-30 Meth Injection/AEM CAI/STI Short Shifter/Group N tranny & motor mounts/RCE Black springs & Konis/22 & 20 sways/Rallitek end links/Whiteline chassis & suspension bushings

No first-hand experience yet, but word on the street is that it works with ATR, which FINALLY has support for AEM UEGO.

Links