Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fox

DIY: Installing Heated Mirrors

I opted not to get the premium package because all I wanted were the heated seats and heated mirrors. I have done the heated seats, and now tackled the heated mirrors. Other write ups exist for the mirrors, but none for just the heated mirror installation that I could find. So here goes...

Estimated time:

This took me approximately 5 hours spread out over 2 days. The first day was about 3 hours as I needed to figure out the wiring and all, the second day only took me about 2 hours.

Items Needed:

Heated side view mirror glass (Subaru PN 91039FG000 and 91039FG010) ($53 each on SGP)
    Several feet of 18 ga minimum wire
    Wiring connectors
    Phillips head screw driver
    Soldering Iron (or butt connectors, it's your choice)
    Electrical Tape
    Needle Nose Pliers
    Multimeter

Step 1: Remove door trim.

Start by removing the sail panel on the inside of the mirror. Pull it towards the back of the car until you hear it click, then pull it in, across the car. It should come out easily. there is a wiring connector in the sail panel, just press on the tab and pull it out. I assume this is here for the tweeter if you had the premium sound system.

Remove the screw in the door handle by popping open the screw cover. It's a phillips head screw.

Then remove the window control panel. Pop the cover in the well and unscrew the phillips head. Then, take a panel remover, or a flat head screwdriver and pry up the panel from the front, there is a small space to insert the screwdriver. Pull up vertically. There's a lot of clips so there's some resistance.

After that, just pull the door trim panel off. There's lots of plastic clips all around the door, I started up by the sail panel just because it was easy to get a grip. There are cables and wires connected to the door panel. I left them on and just twisted the door panel so I didn't need to undo the door handle cables.
    Step 2: Remove and disassemble side view mirror

To remove the mirror assembly, just remove the three screws you see on the inside of the door. Be sure to support the mirror as it will fall as you remove the last screw. unclip the electrical connector.

To disassemble the mirror, flip it upside down. There are three screws, two covered by foam, holding the mirror hinge together. Use needle nose pliers to pull out the foam. Removing the screws will separate the two pieces, however the wiring will hold them tight together, don't just pull. On the triangular piece, there is foam adhered to the plastic. CAREFULLY pull this off so that you can re-install it. I just moved as much as I needed, see the picture below. There is a small metal clip holding the wires in place. Carefully remove this with the needle nose pliers. Feed the wire through and it will separate the two pieces.

To remove the mirror glass, push on the top of the mirror until you can see behind the glass at the bottom. Use a flat head screwdriver and unclip the mirror from the motor. If you look at the back of the replacement glass, this step should be self explanatory. Pull the glass out.

Next is to run the wiring through the mirror. This can be tricky. Once you pull the two halves apart, you can see the hinge, and the small hole that the power mirror wires run through. This is what you have to work with. You need to fish the wires through that hole. It helps to have a long thin pointy object to help push the wire through. I personally pushed one through, then taped the other and and another wire to it once it was through, and pulled it back. Then you have two wires coming through. On the mirror side, add two pin connectors that will connect to the pins on the back of the mirror glass. Make sure they're tight! Otherwise, they'll come loose and you'll lose functionality.

What to remove of the foam to access the wires:

The small area you have to run the wires:

The connections to the heater on the mirror glass:

Continue to fish the wires through the triangular section just as the factory wires are done. Re-assemble and re-install the mirror.

Step 3: Wiring

The first step is to get power up to the electrical connector at the mirror. The multimeter comes in handy here. The wiring I describe is what is found in MY car, it may not be the same in YOURS.

Look at the wiring harness that leads to the mirrors. The ground is in pin number 10 and is Black. The wire in pin number 4 is gray for the passenger side, white and red for the driver side. This is intended for power to the heated mirrors. The only problem is, at the harness to go into the door, it's not correctly positioned. In order to change this, you need to open the kick panel in the foot well. Look up towards the outside of the car and you will see the electrical connector. It is shaped like what you see on the wiring diagram below. What you need to do is find the corresponding wire and move it to pin spot 14. This should already be empty. The multimeter on the continuity setting is perfect for determining that you've selected the correct wire before moving it. You need a long pointy object to remove the pin from the harness. I used something that came with my soldering iron. Once you move it, you should have power up at the door connector. REMEMBER, when looking at the diagram below you're lookign at the "Male" side. The pins you will be removing are on the "Female"side, so it's all backwards.

Wiring Diagram:

Passenger Side Door Harness (Pointing to Pin Spot 14):

You now want to check the function at the connector to the mirrors to make sure you moved the wire correctly. Plug back in everything. Set your multimeter to check for voltage (remember the car is designed around 12-14v). Hook up the multimeter to pin 4 and 10. Put the key in the "on" position and press the rear defrost button (defrost should light up). As you press this, you should see the voltage jump up. There should be NO voltage across this when the rear defrost is off.

Now you just need to connect the wires you ran from the mirror to the wires in the wiring harness. It is resistance based, so it doesn't matter what wire connects to the positive or ground side. I personally just cut the wires about 1/2" away from the connector and soldered, but if you have access to wiring pins, you could easily put the pins into the connector for a cleaner install.

Put it all back together and enjoy your new heated mirrors. They should heat up to the touch within a few mins. I had frost covering my mirrors this morning, it was gone within seconds! (no joke)

as a last note, this is merely a documentation of my own diy work. I assume NO responsibility for your work, and recommend that all modifications be done by a professional.

Re: DIY: Installing Heated Mirrors

nice,detailed write up. mine came with them and you will love them in the icy weather. i have the heated seats and wipers as well. the wipers work pretty good. +1 for the review.
    vf-52 turbo, ptp turbo blanket, tp stage 3.52 tune, grimmspeed ebcs and aos, forge motorsports bpv, perrin catted downpipe, borla catback, tomei el headers and uppipe, perrin cai, perrin tmic, rallitek swaybars, avo endlinks, racecomp/bilstein cup kit with yellow springs, racecomp lowering camber plates, cs style side skirts, jna front lip, kartboy ss, 22b shift knob, rota tarmac3 wheels and re11 tires
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Fox

thanks! I love my heated seats as well, that was a nice diy job as well. I do wish I had the heated windsheld, but I'm not going to replace the windshield just to add that functionality, maybe if I get a crack large enough to require replacing the windshield though.... I will be adding heated windshield wiper nozzles soon, I'm a little skeptical as to how well they're going to work in the frigid new england winters, but the reviews I've read say they work..

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    thanks! I love my heated seats as well, that was a nice diy job as well. I do wish I had the heated windsheld, but I'm not going to replace the windshield just to add that functionality, maybe if I get a crack large enough to require replacing the windshield though.... I will be adding heated windshield wiper nozzles soon, I'm a little skeptical as to how well they're going to work in the frigid new england winters, but the reviews I've read say they work..

the best thing ive found is use good de-icer wiper fluid for the winter months. it seems to work pretty well. you are right though,heated seats are nice on a cold morning!
    vf-52 turbo, ptp turbo blanket, tp stage 3.52 tune, grimmspeed ebcs and aos, forge motorsports bpv, perrin catted downpipe, borla catback, tomei el headers and uppipe, perrin cai, perrin tmic, rallitek swaybars, avo endlinks, racecomp/bilstein cup kit with yellow springs, racecomp lowering camber plates, cs style side skirts, jna front lip, kartboy ss, 22b shift knob, rota tarmac3 wheels and re11 tires
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Fox, nice write up! We needed a simple "add heat" DIY. I am curious, what year/model is your car, and did you have a 10-pin connector to your mirror? I would have expected you had an 8 pin, missing the black heating wires, and obviously there would be no pin 10. By your account of grey and white/red wires on the door side mirror plug, those are signal wires, sounds like you are actually talking about pins 1 and 4, the pin numbers are shown in the FSM looking into the terminal side of the mirror plug on the door harness.

In essence, what you have done here, is re-purpose the unused signal(+) wire in the door harness, by moving it over to the position for the heating wire. Since the signal (-) wire is already grounded in the harness, you don't need to disturb that one. You should correct your pin numbers to be consistent with the FSM. Also you might note that this mod would affect being able to add signals later, if you wanted to use the factory wires already in place.

My family had Audis through the 80s and 90s and they all had the heated washer nozzles. I don't think the benefit is that great. The only time that it is cold enough to freeze the nozzles is when you shouldn't be washing your windshield as it will freeze right up. When the car is warm the engine heat takes care of the nozzles. Only when it is stupid cold is the engine heat not enough to keep the washer nozzles unfrozen. If you want to melt ice, put the ice melter fluid in your washer tank, and that fluid won't freeze up in the nozzles, problem solved.

Super Moderator

i agree, i think for someone that is considering signals or power folding, the ideal way is to simply take one of the two wires from the mirror glass and take it to the body/chassis with a short length of wire. then, you take the second of the two wires from the mirror glass and take it to pin 14. on most cars, you are done. and should the need for power folding or indicators come about you have that option.

Fox

Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
    Fox, nice write up! We needed a simple "add heat" DIY. I am curious, what year/model is your car, and did you have a 10-pin connector to your mirror? I would have expected you had an 8 pin, missing the black heating wires, and obviously there would be no pin 10. By your account of grey and white/red wires on the door side mirror plug, those are signal wires, sounds like you are actually talking about pins 1 and 4, the pin numbers are shown in the FSM looking into the terminal side of the mirror plug on the door harness.

In essence, what you have done here, is re-purpose the unused signal(+) wire in the door harness, by moving it over to the position for the heating wire. Since the signal (-) wire is already grounded in the harness, you don't need to disturb that one. You should correct your pin numbers to be consistent with the FSM. Also you might note that this mod would affect being able to add signals later, if you wanted to use the factory wires already in place.
    It's a 2009 base.

yes I had the 10 pin connector.

I used pin 4 and 10 as that's what the manual that you see above told me were used for the heated mirrors. The colors weren't right, but I figured the colors could have easily been changed around and that the pin location was what to go by. I had a wire in pin 1 that was already run into the mirror to control the power mirror, so I'm sure that's not what I used. Considering that there was something in pin 1, there's obviously discrepancies between the manual and what's actually in the car. I don't know if you meant any offense by it, but I do know how to read the wiring manuals, I am a professional engineer and have extensive electrical engineering knowledge.

and i did check the function of all wires before starting work, and nothing was a signal wire. I do intend on making that addition eventually and actually ran an extra wire into the mirror for that purpose. I have 2 more wires I believe that were in the wiring harness in the door that didn't correspond to something on the mirror side, so I'll just move one of those around in the harness in the footwell to pick up the signal power.

Fox thanks for the info, nothing wrong with the way you have done things. Many cars don't have the signal (+) live, mine didn't. There is nothing wrong with using whichever wires, Subie gave us extra, whatever you use them for is better than running new wires! The other two extra wires you had are for folding.

You have an odd Impreza. I haven't ever heard of a base model with the 10-pin, and I have been keeping track of various models through the signal thread, and helping others get their folding mirrors going. Not only does that not match the FSM for the connector, it doesn't match the pin locations and wire colors. You also stated you have "2 extra" wires, if you have a 10pin connector, youl would have 4 extra wires, there should be 9 wires, and only need 3 for the motor, 2 for heat. Perhaps next time you have the door panel off could you snap a pic, so we can see the pins and the wires? I am sure that would clear it right up.

I am not insulting your intelligence. It is easy to have pin numbers reversed, the difference in a diagram is subtle as to which plug and which way you are looking at it. I always use the colors to verify I have the pin locations right, and I have not found a place where Subie FSM has the wrong color yet. I did assume since you called out the wire colors from the exact opposite side of the connector, that perhaps you have them reversed. Now that you also called out "pin 1" as having one of the control wires, which should be pin 3, the exact opposite side of the proper 8 pin connector on a base model...well I don't know what to think!

I would let it go, not trying to start an argument, however I do think if you are going to offer up a DIY, you have some responsibility to put correct info out there. You could either offer up the pictures info and we might figure out why your car is wired backwards, or you could let people know your DIY was done on a car which does not match the stock wiring from the FSM?

Fox

Just let it go.... but you did this and that wrong.... lol.

I've got no problem taking pictures, but it won't be till I do the signals, probably next summer. I noted above that what I found was for MY car, since it didn't match the wiring diagrams or any other info out there. I don't know what more you want me to do. I could have not made the diy, but that's not the point of a diy.

I get that I could have switched some things up with the numbers, but I'm 75% sure I have it right. Pin 3 would need to be an entire column in from the end of the terminal and it wasn't, so its not in pin 3, its either pin 1 or pin 4, either way nothing matches the diagrams. The wiring diagram states that the ground for the mirrors is a black wire, and that was located in pin 10, hence why I used the wire directly above it in pin 4 for the power.

As far as the extra wires in the door harness, there were empty spots in the terminals. I don't remember the exact number, I just remember there were a few left to use.

Cool man just trying to help, I'll let it go since you are 75% sure ;-)

I think the purpose has been served. Anyone reading this DIY, trust your FSM or consult others with factory wired cars.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links