DIY: Hatch Trim Swap (with plenty of pictures)
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

DIY: Hatch Trim Swap (with plenty of pictures)

I figured that I would post a DIY for this since it's a pretty popular mod. I got most of my tips from CincyWRX's post a while back. I basically just added pictures to take a little more guesswork out of the job. I hope this is helpful.

Tools Used:

- Fairly Small Socket Wrench (I had 2 rachets because of the extension's drive size)
    - 8mm Socket
    - 3" Extension
    - Phillips Head Screwdriver (#2 worked well for me)

Before:

This is the order that I removed the tim pieces in:

Step 1: Remove the first piece at the top of the window by pulling out near the ends and working your way to the middle. There are four spots where it clips in.

Step 2/3: Remove the 2nd & 3rd pieces on the side by pulling along the edges (these are pretty loud when they pop out, but I didn't break anything). There are two clips for this piece and I'm sorry for the crappy picture.

Step 4: Remove the 4th piece from the bottom of the door. There are 11 clips that pop out easily if you work your way along the edges.

Step 5: We're now removing the portion of the tail lights on the hatch. Remove the 2 outer nuts using the 8mm socket.

Step 6: Remove the flanged nut on the inside of the hatch using the 8mm socket and extension. Be careful not the drop the nut in the door. I personally loosened the nut with a rachet and then used the extension by hand to get the nut out. Next, disconnect the clip for the light.

Step 7: Pull the portion of the tail light out. There's a ball-type clip (plugs into the yellow hole) that holds the light in, but it comes out pretty easily.

Step 8: Remove the 2 screw clips from the ends of the chrome piece.

Step 9: Remove the 4 flanged nuts on the inside of the door that hold the trim piece in. For the 2 outer nuts, I used a smaller ratchet without an extension. If you have a problem getting to the nut beside the rear wiper motor like I did, you can remove a couple of the wiper motor screws with the phillips head and move it away. The only thing that comes out for the wiper motor are the screws and the first washer. Once again, be careful not to drop anything in the door.

Step 10: Disconnect the hatch release button and remove the clip holding the wires in. When removing the chrome piece, pull out the grommet for the button along with the wires and connector.

Now, the car looks like this:

I bought my color matched piece from the dealership and it came with its own release button/wire/connector, weatherstripping, and subaru badge.

The install of the new piece is just backwards from the removal. When you're putting the big inside trim piece back in, make sure you listen for 11 snaps. When putting the side trim pieces in, make sure the tab near the pointy end slides in behind the big trim piece (you'll know what I'm talking about when you look at it).

And of course, the after:

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post or PM me. Hope this helps and happy modding.

'08 OBP WRX Hatch
    RallyArmor UR Mudflaps, Sport Grille, SPT CBE, Tint & high hopes...

Re: DIY: Hatch Trim Swap (with plenty of pictures)

muuuuuch better ;D good write up, this is one of those things that on my to do list
    2008 OBS, WRX Cat Back, AVO Air Filter, Kartboy CP, BC Racing Coilovers, Whiteline: Steering Rack Bushing, F&R Swaybars, Rear Sway Bar Brace, Rear Subframe Bushings, ALK and Control Arm Bushings, Generic Front Strut Tower Brace, CF STI Spoiler/Front Lip & other little goodies

I like the Chrome on the black. If any other color I would say swap it out.
    08 WRX 5-Door Prem Obsidian Black Pearl, Cobb DP, Cobb SR intake & air box, SPT CBE, Perrin TMIC, KW V3 Coilover, Cobb AP stage 2, Seibon Cf STI wing, Rally Armor UR mudflaps, STRI Boost Guage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

same here. chrome on the black car...

I hate chrome but the black strip being there just makes it look cheap since the lights are chrome.

ravspec just got a carbon trim piece to replace the chrome ;D i think thats next on my list so it will match my spoiler too
    2008 OBS, WRX Cat Back, AVO Air Filter, Kartboy CP, BC Racing Coilovers, Whiteline: Steering Rack Bushing, F&R Swaybars, Rear Sway Bar Brace, Rear Subframe Bushings, ALK and Control Arm Bushings, Generic Front Strut Tower Brace, CF STI Spoiler/Front Lip & other little goodies

Quote Originally Posted by saturn View Post
    same here. chrome on the black car...

I hate chrome but the black strip being there just makes it look cheap since the lights are chrome.
    I know what you mean. I'm planning on tinting the tails a bit which should help, and I'll probably do a little debadging. I'm also thinking about an STI spoiler eventually, and it would look weird with the chrome.
    '08 OBP WRX Hatch

Niiice write up!!! in a hour or two... i'll be working on mine, thanks!
    2008 SWP WRX premium wagon - Bone stock /cough

when i ordered my rear trim...i only got the trim and nothing else...i understand that i Need the badge, but is there anything else that i need for the installation? you said something about weather stripping or whatever...can you please provide me with a list of what was included with ur strip??thanks a lot
    2008 WRB Wagon, AEM CAI, SPT CBE, Tsudo DP, XPT stage 2 tune

The back of the black piece had everything that the chrome piece had. Here's a pic of my old part:

The red arrows point to the weatherstripping that I was talking about.

If you're going to use the old hatch release button, just push in on the side tabs (green arrows) and push the button and the rest of the wiring through the hole. Its also easy to install on the new piece. Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps man.
    '08 OBP WRX Hatch

thanks for the help...so if im understanding you correctly, i just need to pick up some weather stripping?
    2008 WRB Wagon, AEM CAI, SPT CBE, Tsudo DP, XPT stage 2 tune

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links