Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boost leak test

Boost leak test

Hey guys. I think I have a boost leak since my engine sounds slightly different. The car doesn't feel as if it pulls as hard as it used to. And I've noticed a drop in MPG. I've been reading that you can make your own cap to run the boost leak test. Just wondering if anyone has done this on their 09 or 08 wrx with stock intercooler. Where do you place the cap? right behind the air filter? or right behind the turbo?
    '09 WRX Hatch, 18x8 Rota Grids, Ground controls, Koni shocks, C-spec rear sway bar, TP Stage 1, TWM SS, Painted Tails, CS Style Kit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Premium Sponsors

Re: Boost leak test

Check this thread.
    http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewt...p=68974#p68974

If you pressurize at the inlet, you should disconnect the line to the evap solenoid,and the breathers and plug them off. You can also disconnect a hose off the tube off the turbo if you are running a fmic.
    here is my tester made of home depot parts and some spare silicone couplers laying around.
    These are designed to go into an air compressor.

You can also use a plastic cap and drill a whole for a valve stem to go in it and pump it up with a tire pump if that is all you have.

Most leaks will show by 10 PSI or so, and if there is a boost leak it won't hold pressure at all, you will also hear hissing from the leak. It is normal for the car to hold for about 15 seconds or so. Also don't worry about leaks you find in the joints of the pcv and breather systems, they are not designed to handle boost and will never see boost in daily operation.
    Eric Minehart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

[URL=http://www.facebook.com/pages/Torqued-Performance/326469209950]

Thanks eric. I've been watching a few vids on boost leak test on youtube the past few days. Looks like a pretty straightforward setup. Hopefully I can rig up something easy and find a leak (assuming I do have a leak).

When you said disconnect the evap lines and breathers... are those the small lines that connect to the intake tube? Do you happen to know off hand how many there are? So i can just put a cap on those and then hose clamp them on right? Leave the oil cap off also right?

What's the normal boost level on a stock 09wrx? (I went back to stock flash until I find all the issues or nonissues... btw, going back to stock from TP Stage 1 is such a disappointment! I didnt realize how nice TP stage 1 was until it's removed)

side note... I went to the dealer today and they said they could check if anything is wrong with the car. They never heard of a boost leak test. I was kind of surprised since they have so many turbos. Anyhow, they found nothing as I expected.

'09 WRX Hatch, 18x8 Rota Grids, Ground controls, Koni shocks, C-spec rear sway bar, TP Stage 1, TWM SS, Painted Tails, CS Style Kit

Premium Sponsors

front to back the lines are Purge valve, boost control solenoid return, head breather, crankcase breather(on top). To be honest I usually just clamp off the evap line. And just not pressure the car above 10-12 PSI for safety. If you have a leak, it will show at that pressure. No real need to pressure up to target boost unless you were checking for a leaking bov.

If you can do some logs of idling, cruising and full boost. I can tell if you have a boost leak. Post the logs here and I will respond so evveryone can know how to read logs to look for boost leaks.
    Eric Minehart

Thanks Eric. Here are the files. Keep in mind, these are from my stock ECU, not stage 1 TP... also with AC on cause it's so hot here :O

Cruising:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...JFdkE&hl=en_US

WOT 2nd gear:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...UwVEE&hl=en_US

Idle:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...9hVUE&hl=en_US

Premium Sponsors

I can tell you don't have a boost leak. engine load seems normal, if you had a boost leak, engine load would be much higher. probably by about 30%
    The problem is likely related to the high temps. I recently realized that the stock compensations at these high intake temps is a bit much, just adjusting the intake temp compensation a little bit will bring the car back to life. Sometimes a degree or 2 of timing can do wonders. The CAI's don't suffer quite as much as the stock airbox guys.
    Eric Minehart

So no need for me to build the leak tester then huh? THat's fine w/ me. makes my life a little easier.

Regarding your timing comment... so does TP stage 1 already compensate the engine timing by "a degree or 2" over stock? Or are you saying adjust the timing beyond the current TP Stage 1?

homer, just fyi, if you ever do need to do a boost leak test, soapy water is the ish for finding leaks since it will bubble like a mofo on even the smallest of leaks. just spray it at all couplers and viola!

also if you are in atl, check out topspeed if you ever do go protune. (or eric, i woulda gone with eric but i have meth and he didnt want to try and tune it remotely since it(meth) complicates things -- dont blame him )
    Tourqed Performance Tuned!. 08 3"catless tbe, kstech 73mm intake, aem meth kit. perrin elh, godspeed fmic, dw750s, walboro 255, grimmspeed ebcs, 08 sti springs/struts, megan front strut bar, eibach rear bar 22r, rallitek endlinks, perrin crank pulley

Premium Sponsors

Quote Originally Posted by homer_atl View Post
    So no need for me to build the leak tester then huh? THat's fine w/ me. makes my life a little easier.

Regarding your timing comment... so does TP stage 1 already compensate the engine timing by "a degree or 2" over stock? Or are you saying adjust the timing beyond the current TP Stage 1?
    Send me an email with your mods, I'll send you a revised map and do some data logs and I can give you your power back!
    Eric Minehart

Eric,

Thanks again for your continued support of the forum and users. I really appreciate it. I'm going to wait a little bit before I send you anything. I had an moment.. see below

All,

This is a little embarrassing... I found out why my MPG went down. It was my warehouse priced gasoline! I started pouring Costco gas about a month or two back. Well today I poured Quiktrip (QT) gas and my mileage gauge immediately went up to 24ish range. With the Costgo gas I only get 20mpg MAX, that's with w/ cruising and a tiny bit of stop and go. On the QT I was getting 26/27ish cruising and then w/ some stop and go, i'm around 24ish. So for everyone else, the increased mileage is worth more than the $2 or $3 per tank I save w/ the warehouse gas. In terms of performance, I THINK I can also feel a tiny bit of difference when using QT over Costco gas.

Now I'm excited about flashing back to TP Stage 1. When I originally flashed Stage 1, I was on the warehouse gas craze...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links