Is there a faster steering rack for the 3G? - Page 3
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Is there a faster steering rack for the 3G?

My inbox was packed with a flurry of new messages on this thread, and I rushed here trying to see if someone had found a way to integrate the q-rack with the GH. Internet, I am disappoint. :-\ Will keep on dreaming, cause hope springs eternal.
    2009 obp 5d - TP stage 3, CNT catted dp, FMS TMIC, Grimmspeed EBCS, TRS DS2 4.3K HIDs, LED int/ext, SMY cluster, Prosport Evo boost

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Super Moderator

just to be clear, you can install the q-rack steering rack but it requires disabling ABS, VDC, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

If you're just looking to tighten up your steering why isnt a direct steer kit in your sights instead of replacing the whole rack? is there that much of a difference?
    (sorry to come in late with no real input, just think that there might be a more simple sotlution)
    What is this... I cant find anything. Wheres my rep!?!
    2011 SSM STi Sedan; stage 2 AP, CNT Catted DP, Q300

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

Well, after a bit a research it looks like the 09 WRX has a 16.5:1 ratio and the 11 WRX has a 15:1. Anyone happen to know if someone has done a swap of an 11 WRX rack into an 09?

Super Moderator

kalidas - i think you're right in your previous post a few ago and this one.

the 08-10 WRX probably has 16.5:1 as you stated before. i don't actually know for certain but that's most likely true.

the older WRXs had 18:1 at one point and they improved it in 05 to 16.5:1 and kept it going until 2011MY.

all STIs 2002-2012 and 11WRX are 15.5:1

i talked to ashkay about it and he mentioned:

"I get this question sometimes and although I can't confirm but I believe they changed the 2011wrx when it went to the wider body style. The difference is too small to notice, I know one of the local guys with an 09wrx who swapped an sti rack in his car. I drove his car and I can't tell the difference until I start measuring lock to lock. He feels its incredible but he also put 5000$ in suspension with the rack and claims the rack was worth it, I dis-agree."

and given the level of effort, labor, and alignments required i'd pass unless i can find a way to make the q-rack work without disabling a multitude of systems.

This one has been raging on for years, the WRX used to have a 16.5:1 rack but that changed circa 2006 I believe.

All the service manuals list the 08+ Impreza/WRX/STI all at the same 2.8 turns lock to lock. Overall steering ratio say "15:1" is based on a calculation of angle input at the steering wheel vs. angle output at the wheel. I do not believe the Subaru rack has variable ratio.

Subaru lists the angle measurements and turns lock to lock (i.e. how many 360 deg) in the service manuals so we can calculate the steering ratio. This is complicated and non-conclusive for a couple reasons: Ackerman, the inside wheel turns further than the outside, there is no industry standard way to calculate this that I know of, some say average the two, some say inside wheel etc. Subaru lists "2.8" turns lock to lock, but I have a feeling that is just general not a precise measurement.

What you find when you look though, is that the "narrow body" Impreza turns the wheel slightly farther for the same 2.8 turns lock to lock, therefore according to Subaru it has a slightly quicker ratio than the STI. I doubt that is the case it probably just has rack stops further out a bit since the tires are smaller, for better turning radius, very typical. You probably have to turn the wheel just a bit farther in the narrowbody Impreza than you do in the widebody, but Subaru just lists 2.8 turns for both.

For 2011 WRX Subaru likely out the same rack stops for the WRX with its new wider tires. Lock to lock is still listed as 2.8 turns, again according to Subaru data this would be a slower ratio but in reality it is probably the same. Subaru is also very good about listing changes in the "what's new" section of the FSM, for 2011 they detail all of the STI and WRX changes, there is no mention of any steering ratio change.

It is highly doubtful the GR STI has a different ratio from the normal GH/GE Impreza.

Quote Originally Posted by monkiboy View Post
    it is a direct swap. check out power6 thread. he did the sti input shaft swap and found neglible feedback increase/benefit.
    Hmm funny how time changes the mind, I think this swap is totally worth it, just keep an eye out on EBay for a shaft and don't pay too much, I think I got mine for less than $50 IIRC.

biggest change is feedback on imperfect pavement in the corners, little more kickback in the wheel, you can tell what is going on easier.

noob to the site

where can i find this thread power6 made? was the sti rack a direct fit to the wrx?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Links