Is there a faster steering rack for the 3G?
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is there a faster steering rack for the 3G?

Always wanted a q-rack when I had my '02, but it was a big chunk of change. Still find myself thinking about one for the '09, but it doesn't look like q-rack or L&E Fabrication make GR racks. Did I miss the boat on this?
    2009 obp 5d - TP stage 3, CNT catted dp, FMS TMIC, Grimmspeed EBCS, TRS DS2 4.3K HIDs, LED int/ext, SMY cluster, Prosport Evo boost

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Super Moderator

Re: Is there a faster steering rack for the 3G?

do you have a GR?

tibor has been making his rack assembly for GRs for quite a while.

have you spoken to tibor (q-rack) at all about his available options?

he has two options available for the GR. most popular is the faster 11.5:1 ratio and i've never heard any complaints from drivers with it installed about it being too fast. they obviously also have the slower 12.5:1 ratio rack.

on a GH/GE, we don't have the luxury of partial on/off, obviously. it's all on or off. last i talked to tibor, he didn't have a solution for the VDC issue on our models. sure we can pull the fuse for the VDC but it is the same fuse for the ABS.

for more information on the issues/solutions and installs on the GR/GE/GH, check out:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-suspe...anyone-do.html
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1757077

i've been in communication with Tibor for at least two years now off and on and think i'm at the point in my build that within the next couple months i'll be picking one up for testing, if you want to hold off. if not, give it a shot and please post up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sorry, GH here. Posting tired.

For some reason I thought q-rack stopped making these after the '07, not sure where I picked up that misinformation.

But these VDC issues! I just read through both threads, and that kinda bums me out. My car is a DD and though I'd love the quicker steering, I'm risk averse enough to know I do not want to be disabling ABS. If the only issue was turning VDC off every time I start the car, I'd give it more thought. Hopefully someone comes up with a solution to this...
    2009 obp 5d - TP stage 3, CNT catted dp, FMS TMIC, Grimmspeed EBCS, TRS DS2 4.3K HIDs, LED int/ext, SMY cluster, Prosport Evo boost

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

so that one guy on nasioc with the qrack is the only one who had issues with his ABS. but he is also the one WRX owner with it that has posted up issues. the STI guys aren't having any issues when entering "orange" mode or essentially their version of VDC off.

the thing is that tibor is the one that installed that qrack into the WRX with the ABS issues and if he couldn't figure out why the WRX was having ABS issues and the STIs don't, then i don't know if there really is hope for the WRX folks without drastic measures as pulling the ABS,VDC, hill assist, etc fuse.

depending on what i work out with tibor will depend if i take the plunge to give it a go and be another tester for the GH/GE chassis with it or not. regardless, i'll post up any findings that are generated in the process.

Yeah so far it seems like there's an n of 1 on the wrx, but not a lot of corroborating evidence either way. I think this is currently a bit over my head; if you do end up testing out the rack, I'll definitely be watching for your updates and impressions!

I've done a ton of reading last night and it seems like this path is fraught with peril for us GH/GE guys. Between q-rack, quickeners and bolt-one like the Perrin system, there just aren't a lot of compatible options or ones that have unknown interactions with vehicle electronics. Sounds like the best bet at this point is to wait for more impressions from 08+ wrx owners who take the plunge on a qrack, and see if the one guy who posted reports is an outlier.

if you can source a steering rack assembly from the s206, that would be a great alternative. steering ratio is 13:1 or something like that.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cenix View Post
    if you can source a steering rack assembly from the s206, that would be a great alternative. steering ratio is 13:1 or something like that.
    rhd steering racks won't work/fit, unfortunately. and yes, most jdm models are 13:1.

^ my bad. didn't mean to give out bad info. i was thinking maybe a rack swap wasn't side dependent. thanks for clarifying.

I still want this thing, bad. I think it's so unappreciated (unknown) to the more general modding community, but would have a huge impact on the feel and responsiveness of the driving experience.

The only thing that stops me at this point is the fact that VDC is tied into both ABS and EBD, two systems I simply don't want to mess with. if it was just a matter of disabling VDC, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links