Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GrimmSpeed Crank Pulley - Product Review

GrimmSpeed Crank Pulley - Product Review

They not only look cool but there is absolutely zero cons for this particular mod. GrimmSpeed FTW! - Modern Automotive Performance

I am not sure if I can sum up this modification any better. This product really has no downside!

Car: 2009 WRX E85 and other goodies
    Owned Mod for: About a month
    Issues / Problems: None

The first thing you will notice is that I did not get one of the pretty colored pulleys. I guess that is the small price I pay for being a tester.

The purpose of this modification is to get rid of the OEM pulley. The OEM setup is heavy, this weight is not only not necessary, but it can lead to failures. Just like many of the decisions that make up our stock cars, it fits the budget. GrimmSpeed saw this issue as an opportunity to better our engine setup. This pulley is 3.5lbs lighter and constructed better than the OEM setup. This pulley is balanced CNC machined 6061 T6 anodized aluminum to the optimal weight to not make the ECU / Engine mad (CELs or Hesitation)Ķ. Oh and it has pretty colors.

What did I notice once this was installed on my car? Well 1st thing I noticed was that the idle was betterĶ call me crazy but my car felt smoother. I had recently tuned my car from E85 to pump gas for a road trip, my main issue prior to this install we the idle. This pulley was installed and the first thing I noticed was that my car seemed to be running smooth. It really stood out to me. In a way I am glad that this was installed for the 2 weeks I was back on pump gasĶ. Otherwise I might not have noticed this as much. Now I am back on the corn (E85) and the car is running like butter. The REVs did come faster as well. This is due to the lighten load on the engine. The removal of 3.5 LBS on your engine results in less of a rotational mass, which means your engine wastes less power on your pulleyĶ. More power for you!

Why else should you buy this product? The installation and removal tool is such a great idea that it doesnt surprise me that GrimmSpeed was the first company to come out with it. Not only does it work for your OEM setup, but it also works for their pulley. One tool to remove and upgrade my setup is always a nice thing to have. As well, if you have a 2009 WRX (08+) GrimmSpeed is the only one who offers an aftermarket stretch belt installation kit.

Would I recommend this product? YES!

Thanks to everyone @ GrimmSpeed, once again you have given birth to top of the line products for the aftermarket Subaru community.

Link to Product Release Ķ.. Click Here

Link to GrimmSpeed Ķ.. Click Here

09' WRX Base DMG ~ E85 NF Tune @ 23PSI 350WHP/360WTQ ~ Rota Grids 18x9.5 w/ Star Specs ~ Invidia Q300 Quad Tip ~ IPR TMIC ~ Forge BPV ~ GrimmSpeed Electronic Boost Controller ~ GrimmSpeed Master Cylinder Brace ~ GrimmSpeed Lightened Pulley ~ Walbro Fuel Pump ~ 930cc NF Modified Injectors ~ TurboXS Stealthback DownPipe ~ Mode Dual Adj SS ~ Whiteline Sways 24F/22R ~ RalliTek HD Endlinks ~ K&N Drop In Filter ~ DDM Lows & Fogs ~ Hellas ~ GrimmSpeed Tow Hook License Plate ~ Hawk HP+

Re: GrimmSpeed Crank Pulley - Product Review

Nice review and nice piece. I saw that on their site one of the stretch accessories cost $50 though?
    2009 WRX Sedan | Forman Custom Rotated GTX3076R Kit | Gruppe-S EL Header | TiAL 44mm EWG | Reversed STI Manifold | Invidia CBE | Perrin FMIC | Aquamist HFS-3 | Tarmac2 Coils | Stoptech 328x28mm BBK | Rota Grids 18x8.5 | 255/35/18 Star Specs | Whiteline 24/22 | Carputer | N-1 CS Lip |

Thanks for posting this! I've been in the market for a crank pulley for a while now...never knew GS made one. I think I found my next little goodie!

Quote Originally Posted by GravyRobber View Post
    Thanks for posting this! I've been in the market for a crank pulley for a while now...never knew GS made one. I think I found my next little goodie!
    I have had it for a while, but it hit the market today!
    09' WRX Base DMG ~ E85 NF Tune @ 23PSI 350WHP/360WTQ ~ Rota Grids 18x9.5 w/ Star Specs ~ Invidia Q300 Quad Tip ~ IPR TMIC ~ Forge BPV ~ GrimmSpeed Electronic Boost Controller ~ GrimmSpeed Master Cylinder Brace ~ GrimmSpeed Lightened Pulley ~ Walbro Fuel Pump ~ 930cc NF Modified Injectors ~ TurboXS Stealthback DownPipe ~ Mode Dual Adj SS ~ Whiteline Sways 24F/22R ~ RalliTek HD Endlinks ~ K&N Drop In Filter ~ DDM Lows & Fogs ~ Hellas ~ GrimmSpeed Tow Hook License Plate ~ Hawk HP+

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by chongl View Post
    Nice review and nice piece. I saw that on their site one of the stretch accessories cost though?
    yeah, i saw that too. pretty ridiculous for something that just requires a large flat-head to slide off and on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Hahaha I saw that just released today! Thanks for the write-up, i hope they do a group buy to kick off the new product.
    2010 OBP WRX Hatch - Tuned by Jorge at IAG Performance - Built stock block, Spearco TMIC, AEM CAI, Invidia Catted DP, CNT N1 cat back, Grimm EBCS, DW65c, NGK one step colder plugs, pnp'd stock header, Forge BPV, ACT streetlite FW, Southbend Stage 2 Endurance clutch, sways, BC BRs, and bushings everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by monkiboy View Post
    Nice review and nice piece. I saw that on their site one of the stretch accessories cost though?
    yeah, i saw that too. pretty ridiculous for something that just requires a large flat-head to slide off and on.

No, none of the stretch belt pieces cost $50. We make a one of a kind crank pulley removal/installation tool that is $50...I think this is maybe what you are thinking of. Normally crank pulley tools run $150+ and those dont work with any aftermarket pulleys.

Justin Grimm

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
    No, none of the stretch belt pieces cost . We make a one of a kind crank pulley removal/installation tool that is ...I think this is maybe what you are thinking of. Normally crank pulley tools run 0+ and those dont work with any aftermarket pulleys.
    hey justin, nice to have you here! maybe soon as a vendor with nice lil promos? actually, i can't really think of anything you make that's 3g specific, so maybe not, haha.

but in regards to the above, at first glance i thought it was a tool to slide the belt on and off on our cars since it said 08+ and we are the few that don't have a tensioner.

having done a crank pulley swap a few times on the 08s+, why is a tool needed for removal/install? i never had any troubles/need.

ps - that blue crank pulley looks quite nice...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Re: Re: GrimmSpeed Crank Pulley - Product Review

No, none of the stretch belt pieces cost . We make a one of a kind crank pulley removal/installation tool that is ...I think this is maybe what you are thinking of. Normally crank pulley tools run 0+ and those dont work with any aftermarket pulleys.

Justin Grimm
    Thanks for clearing that up. It is great that the tool works with your product and all of the different versions of the Subaru pulley too..... See the GrimmSpeed website for more details on this.

hey justin, nice to have you here! maybe soon as a vendor with nice lil promos? actually, i can't really think of anything you make that's 3g specific, so maybe not, haha.

but in regards to the above, at first glance i thought it was a tool to slide the belt on and off on our cars since it said 08+ and we are the few that don't have a tensioner.

having done a crank pulley swap a few times on the 08s+, why is a tool needed for removal/install? i never had any troubles/need.

ps - that blue crank pulley looks quite nice...
    Oh we have the specific tools for getting the stretch belt on and off as well. The removal tool is used to hold the crank pulley in place when trying to crack the bolt.

Our objective was to put together a kit that includes EVERY piece that the 93-07 and 08+ guys would need.

Tomorrow we will be finished editing the install video, once that is done I'll post it up so it is more clear.

Justin grimm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links