Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Annoying rattle from passenger side dash area. Help!

I have a couple rattles here and there in my interior, but there's one in particular that's getting really obnoxious. While driving, even on smooth surfaces (on stock suspension), there's an annoying rattle from the front right side. I can't reach over while driving to figure out what's causing it, but it sounds like it's coming from the little vent on top of the dash near the A pillar. After getting home today, I played around with the front and top vents, glove box, A pillar, passenger side door panels, and side door speaker to see what it could be. I'm at a loss. Although the top vent and glove box seem a bit loose, I couldn't recreate a rattle by moving them around.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone else have this particular rattle and if so, what's the fix?!?!

Thx.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Annoying rattle from passenger side dash area. Help!

Amazingly, I appear to have the same one. When I have a passenger grab the passenger side A-pillar, sound stops. Think it's there. Not sure how to fix. Airbags are there & don't want to interfere in their function.

guys just take off the a-pillar it's 1 screw and wrap some foam around the rattling wire-clips or put some tack on the pop-clips... not a big deal, you won't hurt the airbag >.<

Super Moderator
    yep, yep. was some wire rattling on the inside of mine and just laid tile and CCF in there while damping the car, no more rattle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I'm not yet convinced it's my A-pillar. This morning I tugged back and forth on the small vent on top of the dash, right by the A-pillar. Oddly enough, I commuted to work without that particular rattle. However, I may still implement your suggestion about the A-pillar for good measure. Where is the 1 screw located to remove it?

On a related note, another rattle is coming from the handle above the driver's side door. Any suggestions on that short of removing the whole thing?

hehe I have the same rattle, and so did my friend with his sti. I like my friends solution, change the engine & transmission mounts to groupn.... you instantly forget about the rattling on the passenger side

I've got the rattle much like this, but it's on both sides of the dash. Started when I got stiffer suspension. For me it's where the pillar meets the dash near the windshield. I'll have to take the pillars and do a little more looking around. Good tip, thanks!

Most of these can be fixed with a few strategically-placed strips of felt or some other type of isolating material.
    I glued felt strips to both A pillars & hit a bunch of spots on the leftt side of the dash. Silenced a couple of the rattles, but now I've got a new one on the drivers side dash.
    Thanks, Subaru bean-counters!
    I put 177K miles on my wife's sub-$20K 1997 Outback - numerous off-road excursions & we even got it airborne a few times. Zero rattles.
    2009 WRX 5-door - Cobb catted DP/SPT CBE/Andy's OS tune/Process West TMIC/GT Spec EL header/Devil's Own DVC-30 Meth Injection/AEM CAI/STI Short Shifter/Group N tranny & motor mounts/RCE Black springs & Konis/22 & 22 sways/Rallitek end links/Whiteline chassis & suspension bushings

I had zero rattles from the dash until the dealer had to take it off to weld the POS tac welds that hold the pedal assembly. I knew when they put it back that it would rattle and now its getting on my nerves. It gets worse in the cold and I'm about to start looking for them and trying the felt stuff.

I had the same rattle develop in my 2011 WRX at 2,000 miles on the passenger side going over bridge joints and potholes, which over time spread to both sides of the dash. Took it into the dealer at 10,000 miles, said they could not replicate the noise. I was not happy. Got steamed because I know there are threads like this on three other WRX sites. The issue is the joint where the dash meets the A-pillar cover. It was a quick fix, and I'm kicking myself for not fixing it earlier. All you need is to pop off the SRS plastic cover on the A-pillar, unscrew the one screw, remove the pillar cover (careful of the plastic clip), and put in something that will not squeak between the two plastic parts. Other sites suggested sticky backed velcro, and it worked perfectly. I got it at Michael's, the 18"x3/4" roll of velcro, cut it in half, attach the soft velcro to the A-pillar, and it fit perfectly. I love the car again. No rattles or other noises from the dash now.
    Last edited by bdy107; 01-02-2013 at 01:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links