Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Major Manufacturing Defect.

Major Manufacturing Defect.

This is also in the transmission/drivetrain section, but I'm trying to reach as many people as possible.

Some are calling this a squeeky pedal problem, and it's far more than that. The easy way to check is shown in the 2 videos I have posted at the end of this. If you have this problem please call Greg Coleman, because there is a class action lawsuit that is being started. Please help all those that this has happened to and call him. The number is 865-247-0080 or 800-487-8669.

Not all problems are like might, but they all involved clutch popping and creaking noises. You might, not always, experience problems shifting. DO NOT IGNORE THIS ISSUE. IT COULD CAUSE A MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE.

I have a 2009 wrx with 70,000 miles, and for the past week I can't easily shift into gear. I have a competition stage 2 clutch, no other mods, with 15,000 miles on the clutch, and everything was fine until now. Here are my symptoms

1.) I can't shift into any gear very easily when the car is not moving and turned on. It feels like I'm locked out of all the gears. It takes quite a bit of working at it and pumping the clutch to get it in (especially when the car isn't warmed up)
    2.) Car shifts into gear fine when the car is off.
    3.) Once the car is moving I can shift a little more easily, but the shifting feels extremely notchy (more than it usually does since its an 08+ wrx)
    4.)There is no gear grinding when getting into gears, and downshifting once in gear is fine, so I don't think it's my synchos.
    5.) There isn't any rattling, or loud noises when the car is on and not moving, so I don't think anything is loose or broken in the transmission.
    7.) Clutch pedal feels completely normal when pushing it in and letting it out.
    8.) The clutch isn't slipping when I'm in gear. It feels just as strong as before.
    9.) I did take off the clutch fluid reservoir, and there is some gunk in the bottom of the reservoir.

I have figured out what the problem is. The clutch assembly bracket welds are broken (actually the metal around them broke, but you get the idea).

Here are a couple videos I shot showing the spot welds on the firewall have separated from the actual firewall. This is only the beginning of the process I will have to take to fix it. The entire dashboard has to come out to properly fix the problem. Some people are putting bolts through the firewall to fix the problem, it's only a temporary solution. You MUST weld the bracket back on properly.

It is easy and doesn't take much time to check. IT IS WELL WORTH THE CHECK IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY KIND OF PEDAL NOISES.

Super Moderator
    we've worked together to create a much easier/time-saving way to make your case heard by the folks are Greg Coleman Law who are handling this class action suit.

please go to Subaru Firewall Class Action Info Center

you can now simply type in your information. it takes maybe ten minutes and getting as many folks with this problem heard is paramount.

please take the time to fill it out and let your situation and voice heard!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Form has been submitted, can't wait to see if we have enough numbers involved to really push SOA into paying up.
    :: 08 OBP sedan | TP 3.52 | VF52 | TurboXS FMIC | EBCS | CNT Downpipe | Invidia Q300 | Walbro | KStech 73mm MAF | Group-N Mounts | Whiteline Bushings all around ::

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Onsit View Post
    Form has been submitted, can't wait to see if we have enough numbers involved to really push SOA into paying up.
    awesome - thank you sir!

100bhp 3G Impreza thefuzzypenguin's Avatar
    I think I'm having the issue in my '08. I'm hoping to check it out this weekend to verify. I noticed there isn't any place to attach pictures when filling out the form. Once I verify the problem should I take some pictures, or is that unnecessary at this point (or is that a question for the law firm rather than to ask here)?

Thanks for getting this set up everyone involved!

If you verify it, follow monkiboys link and contact Greg Coleman

this video helps out a lot. hurry up and get the welding vid in
    and then hopefully Subaru gets a nice lawsuit like Toyota with their rav 4 recall and we get a recall like we deserve. love the cheap negligence

I will get it up as soon as I can get it done. I went to the dealership (over 1.5 hours away) friday, spent all damn day there. I had called Subaru of America to let them know I am going to the dealership to have this documented by a Subaru tech. They called the dealership as I was standing there, go figure, and said for them to let SOA know what they find. I already had the wiper cowl off, so it took the dealership 2 minutes to take pictures and realize it was a big problem. They were totally cool about it and called SOA like they asked, but no one picked up, so they left a message. That was a little before 11:30am. I waited at the dealership till almost 5pm, and SOA didn't call back. The service adviser/manager of the dealership said they were really surprised they didn't call, but they would call Monday, and told me to call too. This is ridiculous that Subaru is acting this way. Once I hear back from them I will let everyone know. Reguardless of what they say, I will be documenting the entire process, for my records, and everyone else. Plus, I will stay on the class action suit even if they do decide to pay for it. I don't like seeing good people getting screwed over like they've done.

Now. If you press in the clutch. And let off. Does I or did it make a click. Cuz mine is doing that. But I don't have any of the other issues u listed. Just seeing if I need to check it.
    08 wrb WRX. Carbon STI spoiler. Painted taillights red. DDM tuning HID 55w 8000k. Perrin CAI tune. Rally Armor flaps. Tsudo N1 cat back. Turtle drift charm. DDM tuning HID 35w 4000k for fogs.

If you could make a video of the click sound and post it, I can try and see if it is the click the bracket makes if the inside weld is broken. If you can't, try and compare it to the youtube videos that some people have made showing their clicking sound from the broken inside weld. Otherwise you could always take the time to totally take out your dash and check the bracket.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links