Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to to upstate NY what should I expect?

Accepted a job offer in Rochester, NY and I'm moving from New Mexico.

I know it going to be cold and I should expect lots of snow. I have a pretty good idea of what I need but what are the must haves (in general not just car specific) for being up north?

Super Moderator

Re: Moving to to upstate NY what should I expect?

100% definitely get snow tires lol

And if you dont already have them... get mud flaps!

Edit - Opps I thought you said CAR SPECIFIC.... you said NOT car specific hahaha
    08 Wrb Wrx - Bone Stock! - Sold
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    - Bought a house
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

A Pillar pods for sale!!!!----->

Miata Build --->

Super Moderator

Guns, lots of them

A big truck that's held together by duct tape.

Loose a few teeth.

Drink cheap beer.

Marry your cousin.

On a serious note it's going to be cold and lots of snow in the winter. Get lots of warm clothing, be prepared for feet of snow not inches. I would start taking a vitamin if you are not already, you will need to build up your immune system for the huge climate change you are going to go through.
    2015 DGM WRX Limited..... cars not even here and the mod list is to long to list.

Super Moderator

Ohh oh I got one! A Snow Blower!!!!

I would also get an ATV for entertainment cause there's probably not a whole lot to do up there hahaha
    - Bought a house

Miata Build --->

Super Moderator

keep a shovel in your trunk, as well as salt. get a snow scraper and brush.

get a mcmurdo north face coat
    2008 DGM WRX Sedan - SGP Optional Front Lip - Magnaflow CBE - VF-52 - TP Stage 2.52 - Progress Springs - Koni Struts - Perrin F/R Sways - Perrin Panel Filter - WeatherTech - Perrin 1-Piece DP - Torque Solutions Pitch Stop - Rota DPT 17x9 - 245/40 Sumitomo HTRZ III - StopTech SS Lines & Pads

Quote Originally Posted by 08subiewrx View Post

I would also get an ATV for entertainment cause there's probably not a whole lot to do up there hahaha
    better yet get an atv w/ a plow and or blower
    2010 WRX Premium - Cobb DP, EFI Logic Tune, 267hp 302tq @17.5psi, Whiteline rear swar, steering rack bushing, Eclipse AVN726E, Alpine PDX 4.100, JL 250/1, Hertz Components, JL w2 10", GPS, Sirus, backup cam, ipod, bluetooth

2003 Honda s2000 Full-Race turbo kit GT30R 450 hp @17psi...and much much m

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by josserman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 08subiewrx View Post

better yet get an atv w/ a plow and or blower
    Hahaha yeah I thought about that too
    - Bought a house

Miata Build --->

Dude Clams... He's moving to Rochester not the fricking mountains of WV.

Rochester isn't nearly as bad as Syracuse (where I'm from) as far as snow. You won't get as much lake effect snow. But coming from New Mexico I'm sure any amount is going to be a lot to you. I'll second the snowblower if you have a driveway. Def get some warm gear, jacket, hat, ski pants, good gloves. Besides that there's nothing too crazy you'll need. As far as the car def get snow tires, there may be a bit of a learning curve driving in snow but you have a wrx so I'm sure you are no newb to controlling a vehicle. Join up on cnysubarus.com. I'm part of that group and we'd be willing to help you with the change.

Also there's tons to do. I love the change of seasons. I think you'll like it around there.
    NOW - 2011 STi sedan - TP Stage 2

THEN - '10 EFI Logics Tuned WRX - Mustang Dyno 309 awhp / 348 tq @ 20psi

Quote Originally Posted by tb16ua View Post
    Dude Clams... He's moving to Rochester not the fricking mountains of WV.

Rochester isn't nearly as bad as Syracuse (where I'm from) as far as snow. You won't get as much lake effect snow. But coming from New Mexico I'm sure any amount is going to be a lot to you. I'll second the snowblower if you have a driveway. Def get some warm gear, jacket, hat, ski pants, good gloves. Besides that there's nothing too crazy you'll need. As far as the car def get snow tires, there may be a bit of a learning curve driving in snow but you have a wrx so I'm sure you are no newb to controlling a vehicle. Join up on cnysubarus.com. I'm part of that group and we'd be willing to help you with the change.

Also there's tons to do. I love the change of seasons. I think you'll like it around there.
    Pretty much exactly what I was expecting. We have a lot of ski areas in NM so I am no stranger to cold weather.

2 more questions, do people wear snow boots all winter or just when trudging though the snow and do I need to get a block heater and battery heaters installed on the cars?

Super Moderator

i wear tims or my doc martins all winter
    2015 DGM WRX Limited..... cars not even here and the mod list is to long to list.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links