JDM Power Folding Mirror swap - Page 2
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: JDM Power Folding Mirror swap

Re: JDM Power Folding Mirror swap

Damn. Can't wait for you to post more of this "Guide" of yours. I will be looking vigilantly for parts.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
    Pin 8 is existing (+) on the mirror switch, pin 7 is existing (-).
    right, if one looks at the diagram i made pin 8 is ACC, so if we take that wire (yellow with blue stripe) and wire into constant (+) with a vampire clip or an add-a-circuit, we can then power open/close our mirrors and adjust them whenever we want, without the need for a key. this will be important for me because i'm bound to park, get ready to head out and forget to close my mirrors and will want to just hit the button real quick and step out.

I really need to get us some extra terminals from a junkyard car to make this happen. Not sure if it is looking good for me to get that done this weekend though!
    no worries, i have a strong feeling between you and i, we'll have this wrapped up soon enough. there are other things in life than neat lil DIYs like this, haha. anyways, i have two junk yard guys looking for multiple connectors for me and once source on ebay told me he could get me at least one entire connector on the cheap but wouldn't ship til monday. still some more final figuring out til then!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Super Moderator

We will probably want the passenger side as well ;-)
    i made an update to the diagrams above.

i tore the passenger side apart and did the passenger side connector as well.

i also updated both connector diagrams with a confirmation on whether that particular wire continues on through to the dash side or is "terminated" at that point, which is indicated by a check-mark or x, respectively.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by monkiboy View Post
    no worries, i have a strong feeling between you and i, we'll have this wrapped up soon enough. there are other things in life than neat lil DIYs like this, haha. anyways, i have two junk yard guys looking for multiple connectors for me and once source on ebay told me he could get me at least one entire connector on the cheap but wouldn't ship til monday. still some more final figuring out til then!
    Well yeah, I am getting married in a few weeks, plenty to do there... The junkyard isn't open on Sun when I have time to go, so I will get there next week maybe. Let me know what you dig up for connectors. I find it immensely satisfying to wire it up first, then swap the mirrors and plug it in to see if I did it right the first time. That's how I did the signals and my auto-windows, I am 2 for 2 vs. the wiring diagrams in the FSM ;-)

I'll try testing the motor tonight with a 9v battery to see which polarity on the motor opens/closes the mirror.

i made an update to the diagrams above.

i tore the passenger side apart and did the passenger side connector as well.

i also updated both connector diagrams with a confirmation on whether that particular wire continues on through to the dash side or is "terminated" at that point, which is indicated by a check-mark or x, respectively.
    Awesome update! Interesting there are some unused wires on the dash side that aren't in the door harness.

I updated the diagram of the mirror parts, so now we can see what the parts are so we are all talking about the same pieces using the names I gave them.

Super Moderator

to open, gray wire needs positive(+), brown needs negative (-)

to close, well, that's obvious, gray needs negative (-) and brown needs positive (+)

tell me why watching the darn thing open and close was the most exciting thing today, haha...

to close, well, that's obvious, gray needs negative (-) and brown needs positive (+)

tell me why watching the darn thing open and close was the most exciting thing today, haha...
    The last puzzle piece. The planning is done, now to the installations...

edit: to keep track, this translates to:

Pin 10 from mirror switch wired to blue/red in door harness plug.
    Pin 9 from mirror switch wired to black/white in door harness plug.

I see passenger's side has the same wire colors, just need to confirm black/white is in pin 2 on the mirror plug, and blue/red is in pin 5 (pin 6 for heated mirror cars like mine)

The last puzzle piece. The planning is done, now to the installations...
    Nice detective work guys!

I'm working on getting a Tyco part number for the contacts (the sockets and pins in the connectors) so we don't have to rob used contacts from junkyard cars. It should be an off the shelf part, but figuring out which series it is isn't so easy. My first guess for the socket is this part:
    AMP 173631-1 http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catalog/pn/en/173631-1
    TP stg1~custom King springs/Konis~RA flaps~Primitive skid plates~TRS Bi-xenon~GrpN trans mnt~pitch brace~jdm power folding mirrors~led cargo lights~OEM Nav + backup camera~GS brake brace~kartboy SS~bunch of whiteline parts~

bu

Quote Originally Posted by technowrx View Post
    I'm working on getting a Tyco part number for the contacts (the sockets and pins in the connectors) so we don't have to rob used contacts from junkyard cars. It should be an off the shelf part, but figuring out which series it is isn't so easy. My first guess for the socket is this part:
    AMP 173631-1 http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catalog/pn/en/173631-1
    Any help there would be pretty awesome, I always wanted to figure out how to identify connectors and source terminals and housings and whatnot. Would open up lots of possibilities for wiring!

Super Moderator

I updated the diagram of the mirror parts, so now we can see what the parts are so we are all talking about the same pieces using the names I gave them.
    nice job sir, looks like it belongs in the FSM, haha.

I see passenger's side has the same wire colors, just need to confirm black/white is in pin 2 on the mirror plug, and blue/red is in pin 5 (pin 6 for heated mirror cars like mine)
    funny you should that. i just made another update to my original post with two more diagrams, passenger and driver's side door to mirror connector diagrams. it's now confirmed on the non-heated mirrors.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Links