1.5xtr turbo upgrade questions
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1.5xtr turbo upgrade questions

Hi guys,

Thinking about about biting the bullet and getting one of these with the 10cm rear housing for my 09 wrx. I have a few questions and hoping someone can point me to the right direction.

Firstly, I'll be using stock headers and uppipe. You guys think I can get peak tq on or before 4000rpm?

I have a process west tmic and am I right by thinking I can get away with the hot side silicon hose to suit STI turbos?

I'll be installing ID1000 injectors at the same time so intake manifold will most likely be coming off to make the install more pleasant which brings me to my next question, should I get the 3" inlet version of the 1.5xtr or stick with the 2.4" and reused the stock inlet hose. If 3", I noticed there's a few 3" inlet hoses around. Which one provides best fitment?

Last question, is there anything else needed to complete the install? I want to make sure I have all parts ready so I can complete install over the weekend since I need the car for work.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Ken

Re: 1.5xtr turbo upgrade questions

I think you'll be able to hit your 4000 goal depending on your fuel....With e85 these 1.5xtr's spool roughly the same as the 20gxtr but make more torque.

Yes, the process west sti hose will work with this turbo.

I'd definitely get the 3" inlet, it will help out with spool. The best fitting 3" inlet right now is the AMR piece but you will need to delete your tgv's to make it work; KS Tech sells a nice kit if you don't have time to port/polish the insides.

I'd add a 73mm ks tech intake, fuel pump and ebcs if you don't have it and make sure you have new gaskets for what you're pulling apart; other than that it should be a pretty basic swap.

Super Moderator

I'm sure you've already thought about this in deciding to upgrade, but it wouldn't hurt to have $5k or so in the bank that you wouldn't mind parting with, in case your piston ring seals decide they've had enough.

Aside from that, I second what Jason said.
    -Steve
    2009 WRB WRX hatch (+1 gear)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

What kind of horsepower do you think you are gonna see?
    2011 dgm wrx. invidia catless dp, spt exhaust, grimmspeed ebcs, fms fmic, one step colder plugs, dw 65c fuelpump, k&n typhoon intake. rce tarmac 2s coilover. gfb bov. whiteline rear toe arms. whiteline front roll center. whiteline rear adjustable control arms. im sure theres more..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I had a think about it. Im going to end up with the 2.4" inlet to save doing tgv del. I forgot all about fuel pump. Gotta add a walbro 255 to the list.
    I'll be definitely going into e85 since im changing injectors. I'm already running about 90% duty with the stock injectors and aquamist meth kit at 23-24psi.
    I already have grimspeed 3 port, k&n intank and txs down pipe

To be honest I'm not sure how much power to expect but hopefully more than my vf52 without sacrificing too much of the fat power band it currently has. Seems like a few people getting really good results with STIs but I havent seen one on the wrx. Obviously my results won't be as good due to single avcs, stock header and stock cat back. But it would interesting to see how much power it makes pushing stock components.

I dont expect the motor to go blow as I don't drive the car hard on a daily basis. But if it does then I guess I'll just have to get some forged pistons.

subscrible dizzled
    2010 wrx GH

Quote Originally Posted by kenny_ View Post
    I had a think about it. Im going to end up with the 2.4" inlet to save doing tgv del. I forgot all about fuel pump. Gotta add a walbro 255 to the list.
    I'll be definitely going into e85 since im changing injectors. I'm already running about 90% duty with the stock injectors and aquamist meth kit at 23-24psi.
    I already have grimspeed 3 port, k&n intank and txs down pipe

To be honest I'm not sure how much power to expect but hopefully more than my vf52 without sacrificing too much of the fat power band it currently has. Seems like a few people getting really good results with STIs but I havent seen one on the wrx. Obviously my results won't be as good due to single avcs, stock header and stock cat back. But it would interesting to see how much power it makes pushing stock components.

I dont expect the motor to go blow as I don't drive the car hard on a daily basis. But if it does then I guess I'll just have to get some forged pistons.

Nice well when you get it all figured out post a dyno! I'm curious
    2011 dgm wrx. invidia catless dp, spt exhaust, grimmspeed ebcs, fms fmic, one step colder plugs, dw 65c fuelpump, k&n typhoon intake. rce tarmac 2s coilover. gfb bov. whiteline rear toe arms. whiteline front roll center. whiteline rear adjustable control arms. im sure theres more..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

A few things, you don't need to pull the manifold to install injectors but if you are pulling the manifold, why not delete the tgvs and run a bigger inlet? Why would you want to keep the tgvs in place? With a 3" inlet, the turbo is going to spool quicker which is what you want. If you plan on running E85, your meth kit is pointless so I'd sell that and recoup some money. You might max the maf on the K&N intake with the new turbo so you might need to run a bigger intake like a 73mm from KS Tech.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 06f250sd View Post
    You might max the maf on the K&N intake with the new turbo so you might need to run a bigger intake like a 73mm from KS Tech.
    you're right - he likely will. man, now if there was only someone selling a used kstech megamaf intake at a great price.

g'luck with the build, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by 06f250sd View Post
    A few things, you don't need to pull the manifold to install injectors but if you are pulling the manifold, why not delete the tgvs and run a bigger inlet? Why would you want to keep the tgvs in place? With a 3" inlet, the turbo is going to spool quicker which is what you want. If you plan on running E85, your meth kit is pointless so I'd sell that and recoup some money. You might max the maf on the K&N intake with the new turbo so you might need to run a bigger intake like a 73mm from KS Tech.
    First off thanks for your advice.

I was kinda questioning whether 3" was going to increase spool. But now thinking again I'll be kicking myself if it did so 3" inlet it is. Yea that was the plan to sell the meth kit to get money for injectors.
    Your right about maxing the intake as I'm already siting at 4.5v with my current setup.

Monkiboy, you'll be receiving a pm shortly

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links