what brake fluid to you use?
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

what brake fluid to you use?

how often do you guys bleed your brakes and how and what kind of fluid to you guys recommend thanks

Re: what brake fluid to you use?

30k is the service interval. I would replace it soon though, it will help out a lot with your braking. Might as well throw on some stainless lines if you are going to change fluids. I recommend Motul brake fluid.
    "As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride."
    09 WRX Sedan: Custom Stg 1 tune, custom intake, straight pipe axle back, TiC Super Shifter Kit, Pitch Stop, DIY Solid Trans Mount, Rear Diff/Subframe Inserts

Quote Originally Posted by jaa1197 View Post
    how often do you guys bleed your brakes and how and what kind of fluid to you guys recommend thanks
    I always seem to be swapping stuff, pads calipers rotors etc. so I end up bleeding them often.

The fluid to use depends on your use. For a street car just buy some brand name DOT4 it is all you need. If you run on the track, step up to a racing fluid.

I have always run Motul RBF600, though I am thinking about changing to Typ200(aka SuperBlue but not blue) as that fluid is made to run longer periods of time. The RBF600 needs to be kept fresh as it is not designed as a long lasting street fluid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

Castrol SRF and the Amsoil stuff is good as well.

I bought some speedbleeders so my brake bleed is a one man job: open up screw and pump the brakes on each corner and you're done.
    2009 WRX Sedan | Forman Custom Rotated GTX3076R Kit | Gruppe-S EL Header | TiAL 44mm EWG | Reversed STI Manifold | Invidia CBE | Perrin FMIC | Aquamist HFS-3 | Tarmac2 Coils | Stoptech 328x28mm BBK | Rota Grids 18x8.5 | 255/35/18 Star Specs | Whiteline 24/22 | Carputer | N-1 CS Lip |

You only need like one bottle of the brake fluid stuff correct? Lol. Also, for stainless steel lines are they supposed to give better flow for the brake fluid to go into the brakes??
    Follow me on instagram: Koreaa30

Quote Originally Posted by krntehk View Post
    You only need like one bottle of the brake fluid stuff correct? Lol. Also, for stainless steel lines are they supposed to give better flow for the brake fluid to go into the brakes??
    Depends on the size of the bottle. I'd get some extra to have if you get all excited and run the reservoir down low when bleeding, you'll have some more to fill it up.

Stainless lines just eliminate some flex in the system. Flexible parts contribute to a "spongy" pedal feel as some of the force you put on the pedal goes to expanding the lines rather than squeezing the calipers. It is a sublte upgrade and a good set of lines aren't cheap, so think about if you really need that.

I did forget to mention, get a set of speed bleeders, makes your life so much easier, you can bleed the brakes by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by krntehk View Post
    Depends on the size of the bottle. I'd get some extra to have if you get all excited and run the reservoir down low when bleeding, you'll have some more to fill it up.

Stainless lines just eliminate some flex in the system. Flexible parts contribute to a "spongy" pedal feel as some of the force you put on the pedal goes to expanding the lines rather than squeezing the calipers. It is a sublte upgrade and a good set of lines aren't cheap, so think about if you really need that.

I did forget to mention, get a set of speed bleeders, makes your life so much easier, you can bleed the brakes by yourself.
    Yeah, I've seen a video on youtube and this guy was bleeding his brakes in a pretty ghetto manner with his friend. Lol

Wait, so there is a "spongy" feeling when its all stock lines or when there are ss lines? I saw some Goodrich SS lines on FredBeans, but still don't understand if I would need SS lines or not. I was thinking about doing the change soon since I have over 30k miles and I should probably flush out my brake fluids as well. Also, when is the recommended time to get new brake pads? I'm still learning these things and would like to know.

I don't track or anything of that sort. I just want something a little better then OEM and something that bites a little better. Haha, hell maybe I should do some reads on NASIOC about brakes.

You get spongy feel from the OEM lines. Think of how easily rubber stretches and flexes versus stainless steel.
    "As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride."
    09 WRX Sedan: Custom Stg 1 tune, custom intake, straight pipe axle back, TiC Super Shifter Kit, Pitch Stop, DIY Solid Trans Mount, Rear Diff/Subframe Inserts

Quote Originally Posted by boostedf4 View Post
    You get spongy feel from the OEM lines. Think of how easily rubber stretches and flexes versus stainless steel.
    Ah makes sense. Will it make a bigger difference with stainless steel and better fluid? When are new brake pads necessary?

Fluid won't really make a difference driving on the street (unless it's absorbed a lot of moisture). Getting better pads will probably be the best for the application you're describing
    2009 WRX Sedan | Forman Custom Rotated GTX3076R Kit | Gruppe-S EL Header | TiAL 44mm EWG | Reversed STI Manifold | Invidia CBE | Perrin FMIC | Aquamist HFS-3 | Tarmac2 Coils | Stoptech 328x28mm BBK | Rota Grids 18x8.5 | 255/35/18 Star Specs | Whiteline 24/22 | Carputer | N-1 CS Lip |

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links