08-10 WRX Upgrade to STi Steering Rack
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Powerless

Thread: 08-10 WRX Upgrade to STi Steering Rack

08-10 WRX Upgrade to STi Steering Rack

The power steering rack on my car is leaking and I am considering swapping in an 08+ STi rack. I have the narrow body 2009 WRX so I'm not sure if this is a direct swap or not. I've seen information leaning both directions on this swap. Any info on whether this swap can be accomplished would be much appreciated.
    2009 WRX Sedan (3G GE)

Super Moderator
    Did you check Monkiboy's build journal? He did a lot do STI swaps in his. Go check it out
    08WRX, TP Stage2, "Thou shalt not go stage 2 if thou hasn't installedeth a downpipe, unless thy wantest a checketh engine light. Lo, thou who installedeth a downpipe and has not tunedeth to stage 2 shall face thine engine's wrath, for thy dash shall become illuminated and proclaim "Hark, thou hast slain me", so sayeth the ECU."

Holy crap! 190 pages on that thread! Thanks for the pointer to it. I used the 'Search Thread' tool and searched for the word 'steering' and looked at everything linked in both pages of search results, including a few posts above and below the linked post, and all I saw was the Cusco power brace and cross member, both of which I'm also considering doing, but no STi rack swap as far as I can tell. Lots of great mods to that car though.

I received a response from subarugenuineparts.com this morning to a query I made through their site yesterday and they indicated that the STi rack does fit correctly on my car. I have a message out to Geoff from Cygnus Performance with a ton of questions about some options for making some related upgrades when I do this swap, including whether this swap would work, so I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say. Hopefully this will all come together very shortly, but I'm encouraged by the response from subarugenuineparts.com!
    Hoonigan808 likes this.
    2009 WRX Sedan (3G GE)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

I would like to know how this goes. I've been wondering if the STi rack was interchangeable.

There are a handful of us that have been looking for this information for 08+ cars and no one has replied back on the forums with what they ended up doing, so here I am. Based on an e-mail I received from Jamie at subarugenuineparts.com I ordered PN#34110FE400 today. When you search by part number on subarugenuineparts.com it's listed as a steering gear box assembly. In doing other research this afternoon I came across information indicating that is a rack for a 2004-2007 WRX and the part number for an 08-10 WRX is 34110FG080. I sent an e-mail to Jamie and she responded right away with the correct part # and let me know that the rack is back-ordered but should be in their warehouse in 2 days.

However, the STi rack part # is 34110FG030, which means I don't have an STi rack on order like I thought I did. I sent another e-mail and hopefully I'll have a response soon. Meanwhile, at least you'll have the right part numbers for the 2 racks. Some other research indicates the WRX rack *might* use an M16 thread and the STi rack *might* use an M18 thread. Are there converters to go from one to the other if I need to?
    2009 WRX Sedan (3G GE)

Quote Originally Posted by ksgoh88 View Post
    I would like to know how this goes. I've been wondering if the STi rack was interchangeable.
    Poorly. This has gone very, very poorly. I have been looking since February and I have been unable to find anyone willing to take the time or have the resources to check the thread sizes and part dimensions on the two racks, or to reply with their experiences trying to find any of this information. Never has information on car parts been so obtuse for me. I've contacted everyone I can think of to get this information, including aftermarket vendors, OEM vendors, and Subaru (to be fair, I haven't given them enough time to respond yet). I've searched every WRX-related forum I could find. I've done eBay searching, Google searching, and even more forum searching trying all the keywords I could think of. I've come up empty on all fronts. I've finally given up and just ordered the WRX rack because I don't have $700 to toss around on a part that may or may not fit. I'll pick up steering improvements by solidifying the front end a little better with the Stage II Steering Kit. And I'll silently weep a little every time I take a turn.
    2009 WRX Sedan (3G GE)

I haven't had a chance to really research it as it's not too high on my list of things I want to do to the car. Honestly it sounds like the rack will mount to the car just fine. The real question is if you can use the STi tie-rods to match the WRX hub and if you can screw it in enough to adjust for the narrow track width. The other alternative is just to go wide track and I believe another member documented that on NASIOC and of course is more expensive as you need the LCA, axels, and sway bar. I've seen a few used STi racks on NASIOC, but just don't have the money to mess around with it at the moment.

What exactly did you search for??
    https://www.wrxforums.com/forums/13-s...tml#post329246

Haha. Thanks for clearing most of it up. I haven't really bothered searching myself as it was never something really high on my list, but I can only speak for myself.

Links