Lights and Bulb Guide - Page 7
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lights and Bulb Guide

Lights and Bulb Guide

Has anyone replaced their reverse lights with LEDs? If so did they use a load equalizer?
    '10 WRX OBP

2500bhp Monster zulukingcrowned's Avatar

Re: Lights and Bulb Guide

Quote Originally Posted by cadfax View Post
    Has anyone replaced their reverse lights with LEDs? If so did they use a load equalizer?
    Yes, and no.

Has anyone done the H11 to H9 mod and ended up with the low beams staying on when the highs are activated? My '09 now does this. I used the basic $15 Sylvania H9's from AutoZone, carefully trimmed the small plastic tab and filed
    enough of the large key to allow the bulbs to fully lock in the housing.

Voila! Both sets of lights now stay on when I select the high beams. The highs go out when I click back to the lows.

I'm not upset about the change, mostly curious as to why it's happening...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

The lows are designed to stay on with the highs. You're good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullit62 View Post
    Has anyone done the H11 to H9 mod and ended up with the low beams staying on when the highs are activated? My '09 now does this. I used the basic Sylvania H9's from AutoZone, carefully trimmed the small plastic tab and filed

Voila! Both sets of lights now stay on when I select the high beams. The highs go out when I click back to the lows.

2009 IMPREZA Sedan 2.5i /Auto Trans/ Premium /Satin White Pearl/ HID Kit/ HD Radio

Has anyone done the H11 to H9 mod and ended up with the low beams staying on when the highs are activated? My '09 now does this. I used the basic Sylvania H9's from AutoZone, carefully trimmed the small plastic tab and filed

Hey so what was your impressions of that mod? A lot brighter? I'm considering HID retrofit but maybe this would be enough impovement for now?
    AEM Meth Injection, Fast Motorsport FMIC, Grimmspeed EBCS, AEM Cold Air Intake, Invidia Catless Downpipe, Invidia Q300 exhaust, NGK 1 step colder Iridiums, DeatschWerks DW65c fuel pump, BC Racing BR Coilovers, Crawford Performance CF Wing, Gold Rota G-Force 18 x 8 1/2, AEM Gauges

Quote Originally Posted by 2010 WRX Limited View Post

Hey so what was your impressions of that mod? A lot brighter? I'm considering HID retrofit but maybe this would be enough impovement for now?
    I'm a happy camper! I live in a semi-rural mountainous area that has almost no public lighting and decent lighting is critical for me to keep the local fauna out of my grill/windshield/front seats. The OE headlights were better than my last car but the H9's are a huge improvement. The only change I'm going to make it to bend the "squirrel finder" tabs down as the seems to help the lights fill in the lower area a little better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Is it bad to put a 194 bulb in place of a 168? I put 194 LEDs in my license plate lights and they seem to work fine

Awesome Sticky, thanks for this!

Rota T2R 18x9.5 +38 :: King Springs Super Lows :: Road tune by ThrottleHappy

I know Im reviving it but its some useful info. 09 wrx

Your low beams take a 1350-lumen H11 bulb. You can easily, safely, and effectively replace this with a 2100-lumen H9 bulb, which you ought to be able to find locally by seeking the high beam bulb for a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. Use a good brand (GE, Philips, Osram-Sylvania) and stick to colorless clear bulbs, not any kind of "whiter light" bulb such as the Sylvania Silver Star scam. Can also get online, H9 bulb .You may need to shave a small ridge of plastic off the H9 bulb's connector so that the H11 socket will snap on. Other than that, it's a direct swap. The only disadvantage is shorter low beam bulb life — the H11 is optimised for very long life with relatively modest light output, while the H9 is optimised for very high output with relatively short life. Note that the H9 swap is not universal; it works well in projector-type low beams but is not safe in most reflector-type low beams or in fog lamps of any type.

If you want to upgrade the high beams, go to your local Chevrolet dealer (or GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts for a better price)and pick up two part number 15094219. Can also get them online, Philips HIR1 9011 Standard Headlight Bulb, Pack of 1 : Amazon.com : Automotive . That is a Philips 9011 bulb. They are not some tinted or overwattage version of 9005, but share the identical filament geometry and base architecture as well as the same power consumption.

Here's the comparison:

stock: 9005, 12.8V, 65W, 1700 lumens, 320 hours
    new: 9011, 12.8V, 65W, 2530 lumens, 320 hours

The 9011 bulbs have a double-wide top ear on the plastic bulb base, this is
    to comply with the law requiring different bulbs to have different bases.
    The extra-wide plastic top ear is easily trimmed or filed to make the bulb
    fit your headlamp's bulb receptacle. Once that's done, they go directly
    into the headlamp, and the existing sockets snap on. Please see
    HIR bulb base modification for details.

The best fog bulb is Philips 9006 X-treme Power Headlight Bulbs (Low-Beam), Pack of 2 : Amazon.com : Automotive but Even good fog lamps, which are relatively rare, are of very limited use to most drivers. Fog lamps should be turned OFF most of the time. They are meant to be used in foggy (or rainy/snowy) weather to help the driver see the edges of the road close to the car so s/he can safely make progress through foul weather at very low speeds. That is _all_ these lamps are designed, intended, and able to do -- and most of the ones available as factory or optional equipment or in the aftermarket aren't even capable of doing that. Leaving the fog lamps on at all times does not improve lighting safety performance, though many people do so in the mistaken belief that they can see better this way at normal road speeds in dry weather. See Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply for more information, and while I tend to stay off the internet forums myself, there's a good thread (with a link to good, valid data in post #4) at How many of you actually NEED your fog lights? .
    kingsalami likes this.

Good stuff!
    Thanks for the info, WRX09MD!
    2009 WRX 5-door - Cobb catted DP/SPT CBE/Andy's OS tune/Process West TMIC/GT Spec EL header/Devil's Own DVC-30 Meth Injection/AEM CAI/STI Short Shifter/Group N tranny & motor mounts/2011 STI springs & Konis/22 & 22 sways/Rallitek end links/Whiteline chassis & suspension bushings

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Links