08 WRX w/ Forman F3 2.3L, Built Heads, Poncams, Stock Catback - 465whp/395wtq - Page 2
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by dScooby View Post
    Oh my, i am in love
    Thanks dScooby!

I'll definitely post more vids once I get a chance to record them. The car feels incredibly smooth and quick! sighhh, finally!

moar vtak!

Quote Originally Posted by Boost Addict View Post
    This is likely very true. But the amount of power left on the table is sort of unknown at this point. We can guesstimate, but I think the EWG alone does a great job of scavenging out a good amount of exhaust. When Shawn was dyno-ing my car, I never heard him open the cutout once. After they were pulling the car off the dyno, he said, 'Oh wow, we haven't even opened the cutout yet either!'. Since the motor is so new, he encouraged me to bring it back after some miles and we'll retest it and see what it is capable of with the cutout open. But, honestly, the cutout was more annoying than anything else. I mean, let's be real here, this is an abundance of power with how light the car is and how short it's geared. So I cannot imagine wanting more. I am VERY content with the power band and it's urgency.

In fact, I was so satisfied with the numbers and curve that I put my car on the lift that evening, disconnected the cutout assembly and sealed it shut with a supplied plate to avoid temptation. That, and the cutout was rattly and leaky upon cold start up. Little things like that bother me. But I cannot tell you how satisfying it is to just hear massive turbo spool and induction noises when driving with no boomy, annoying exhaust noise that just grabs unwanted attention.

I speculate that with the cutout open, spool would improve a bit, and maybe some top end power too... Just how much is hard to say. Maybe we'll open it up someday on the dyno and test for it

Haha, yeah, I'm very much enjoying driving it around. This is an in-house build using fresh cores, so I am very confident in this motor.
    I know Xluben did a test with the stock catback vs. Greddy Racing Ti-C and he picked up like 25+ whp/ wtrq from 4500 rpms on. Now, I know your setups are different, but the gains would likely be greater for you (I thought the sedan catbacks were more restrictive than the stock catback???).

Either way, like you said, you get to drive around and be silent PLUS you're already geared so short and you're making gobs of power as it is. I am on your side and agree with you on all of your points, I'm just being devils advocate.

I know I'm nowhere near modded as you but I too have kept/ will be keeping the stock catback as well. I must be getting old. Haha

Awesome built and congrats. Hopefully you get to enjoy this for a while.
    2010 Lightning Red Wrx Hatch| K&N Intake | GT Spec Equal Length Header and Up Pipe | Perrin Catted Downpipe | ERZ Catback Exhaust | Perrin TMIC | Perrin BPV | Grimmspeed EBCS | PTP Lava Turbo Blanket | Eibach Rear Sway Bar w/ Kartboy Endlinks | Bronze Rota SVN's 18x8.5 | SMY Cluster - Prosport Boost Guage + AEM UEGO

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mtarr07 View Post
    I know Xluben did a test with the stock catback vs. Greddy Racing Ti-C and he picked up like 25+ whp/ wtrq from 4500 rpms on. Now, I know your setups are different, but the gains would likely be greater for you (I thought the sedan catbacks were more restrictive than the stock catback???).

Either way, like you said, you get to drive around and be silent PLUS you're already geared so short and you're making gobs of power as it is. I am on your side and agree with you on all of your points, I'm just being devils advocate.

I know I'm nowhere near modded as you but I too have kept/ will be keeping the stock catback as well. I must be getting old. Haha

Awesome built and congrats. Hopefully you get to enjoy this for a while.
    Yeah, I often think the same thing. That I'm just getting old and losing my taste in having a modded sounding car. I think the part of it that keeps me happy is that when I'm 'hooning' around, the EWG opens up and gets blantantly loud anyway. So it's a very Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde kinda thing... and it somehow keeps me satisfied.

It would definitely be interesting to see what the exact restriction is, but we'll see if I get around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boost Addict View Post
    Yeah, I often think the same thing. That I'm just getting old and losing my taste in having a modded sounding car. I think the part of it that keeps me happy is that when I'm 'hooning' around, the EWG opens up and gets blantantly loud anyway. So it's a very Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde kinda thing... and it somehow keeps me satisfied.
    Exactly! Stock catback with an open dump EWG is a great combo! Quiet around town, but loud when you get on it.

Do you think the 2.3L motor hurts spool? I would have expected a rotated 30R (with rotated IM) to hit 20psi a bit earlier than 4550rpm's. It does look fun though! Great top end power. I bet it's fun all the way up to the top!
    | 2011 WRX | 5 Door | Black | Built Motor | Rotated PTE 6266 Turbo | STI 6 Speed |

Quote Originally Posted by xluben View Post
    Exactly! Stock catback with an open dump EWG is a great combo! Quiet around town, but loud when you get on it.

Do you think the 2.3L motor hurts spool? I would have expected a rotated 30R (with rotated IM) to hit 20psi a bit earlier than 4550rpm's. It does look fun though! Great top end power. I bet it's fun all the way up to the top!
    Thank you, sir.

Yes, I definitely think the 2.3L hurts initial spool a bit. But I'd guesstimate it's half the difference of a 2.0L and a 2.5L in terms of spool loss. Given the gearing changes, the light, underdriven pulleys and all other reductions in rotational mass the car does not feel laggy at all. It's a blast through the entire rev band, I've gotta do an acceleration video when I get a chance from a rolling start. It's pretty fun how quickly the needle sweeps up to 7700rpm.

We've got a D4D meet coming up shortly, I'm looking forward to taking a ride in Larrys car that we built... Haven't felt that beast since it's full tune. His number we're amazing and it appears to hit really hard and continue pulling up top. I'll be giving him a ride in my car too, whether he wants it or not. I'll be prepared with handcuffs(pink fuzzy ones) and duct tape. :P

Oh btw, I'm in love with your scoopless look.

I'd love to see a speedo video of a ~30-105+ mph run if you have time. I like to use rolling 50-100mph time as a benchmark.
    | 2011 WRX | 5 Door | Black | Built Motor | Rotated PTE 6266 Turbo | STI 6 Speed |

Quote Originally Posted by xluben View Post
    I'd love to see a speedo video of a ~30-105+ mph run if you have time. I like to use rolling 50-100mph time as a benchmark.
    I'll have to wait until we get out to Balcony, Willow Springs. We'll be taking the Drift car out to shake down the LS2 swap. There's plenty of space there to do it safely.

Rolling in starting at 50? or already WOT by 30mph and passing 50?

Rolling starting at 50mph is how it's done!
    TP - FMS TMIC - GS EBCS/MBC - Forge BPV - Invidia Cattless DP - Invidia Q300 CB - AEM CAI - DW65c Fuel Pump - Eibach Sways - SPT SS W/ Kartboy bushings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links