2011 WRX | NF Performance "Stage 1" | Rotated PTE 6266 | - Page 2
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Other Parts

| 2011 WRX | 5 Door | Black | Built Motor | Rotated PTE 6266 Turbo | STI 6 Speed |

DCCD Install

Quote Originally Posted by xluben View Post
    As an update, I did install mine. Most of the stuff that I feel should have been pre-wired to work, had to be re-wired. Ended up taking a couple hours extra (taking my time and trying to do it all properly). Here are some photos:

This is how it looks from DCCD Pro:

The suggested mounting location for the box is on the beam in the knee area under the driver's side dash (under the steering wheel). With the box in this location the DCCD switches are probably ~6" short from reaching the cutouts in the 08+ center console. I'm guessing they probably do reach on the older models. The bare wires are also a bit too short to reach the ECU and the DCCD solenoid on the tranny.

Here are some of the photos I took while I was modifying things:

The photo below shows how I cut the casing back about 6" on the bare wires. This is because the power/ground go the opposite direction from the e-brake, TPS, and DCCD wires, and splitting them off sooner would give me a little more to work with. I added a piece of heat shrink to seal the casing just like it comes from DCCD Pro. It ended up not really helping enough in all cases, but more on that further down.

Next I added in about a foot of cable inline with the DCCD switches. I unscrewed the terminal blocks and soldered on the extensions there. The wire I added has the blue casing. I reused the terminal blocks even though I'm not a big fan. But if that's how it comes from DCCD Pro then it will hopefully be good enough. I'd love to see socketed connectors coming out of the box itself. Note that I did put a larger heat shrink over these soldered connections. You can see it in subsequent photos.

This photo shows the other ends of the extensions. They are bare wires that have been tinned and heat shrunk around the casing. These are inserted into the terminal blocks.

Here's the wiring prior to attaching the switches:

Here is the full assembly:

I did have to solder one of the existing wires back onto the connector inside the DCCD switch. The solder joint from DCCD Pro broke off during handling. Soldering these is quite difficult, but apparently it is very hard to acquire the other side of the connector, so there isn't much of any other option.

I did not take any other install photos, but I did find that the wire to the ECU was not long enough and had to extend that one by about a foot as well. The wire to the e-brake was fine. The wire to the accel sensor was fine. The wires to the DCCD solenoid on the tranny will not reach all the way to the solenoid, but if you clip the wires for the solenoid a bit further away, then you do have room to connect to the wires from the DCCD Pro.

Overall it was quite an extensive install. I find electrical work takes a long time, and this was no exception. The most frustrating part was that a huge portion of my work could have been avoided if the DCCD Pro simply came with 1 ft longer wires. This would take zero extra time/effort for them to do and would have a very minimal cost impact.

Here are some shots in the cabin:

So far, so good. I haven't pushed it hard, but I have done some parking lot testing of the manual open/lock vs. auto vs. e-brake pulled and all of those functions do seem to be working great. I will have to push the car a bit more to get into playing with the auto setting. I just have it in the middle for now.
    COBB Exhaust:

| 2011 WRX | 5 Door | Black | Built Motor | Rotated PTE 6266 Turbo | STI 6 Speed |

Motor Install

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

Engine Bay

Sweet fuc*ing jesus Ben. Those numbers are incredible. What made you decide to switch setups? 400 wasnt good enough? Lol
    - Torque Solutions Short Throw- Holy Shift Kit- Group N Trans Mount- GT SPEC Strut Brace- AEM CAI- AVO Inlet- AVO TB Hose- Grimmspeed EBCS- Invidia Catless Downpipe- APM LS Catback- APM FMIC Kit- Forge BPV- DW65c Pump- ID 1000- GS EWG Up Pipe- Tial MVS- Kitsui 6k HID Kit- SMY Cluster- AEM AFR- AEM Boost- Rally Armor Flaps- GS Heatshield- PTP Lava Blanket- 04 STi BBS

Wow Ben! Incredible build. When is NF stage 2 going to happen... I'm guessing about 6 months?
    TP stage1 - AEM CAI - Cobb CBE - Whiteline sways - Kartboy Endlinks - SS - GS MCB - GS HS - Whiteline Bushing Catalog - Group N Pitch Stop - Group N Trans mount - Rally Armour UR - Tint

Quote Originally Posted by doubleUareX2011 View Post
    Sweet fuc*ing jesus Ben. Those numbers are incredible. What made you decide to switch setups? 400 wasnt good enough? Lol
    I've always wanted to be rotated. The engine bay is much cleaner now. And more power is always fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbospeed View Post
    Wow Ben! Incredible build. When is NF stage 2 going to happen... I'm guessing about 6 months?
    Haha. I'll stock with this at least a year. The good thing about a rotated V-Band setup is that I can swap turbos in a few minutes. But this one has more than enough output considering the EVO guys do 800+ with it (on high boost).

Mmmm Cobb exhaust. How do you like it compared to the others with the elh? Oh and nice porting!

Quote Originally Posted by xluben View Post
    I've always wanted to be rotated. The engine bay is much cleaner now. And more power is always fun!

Haha. I'll stock with this at least a year. The good thing about a rotated V-Band setup is that I can swap turbos in a few minutes. But this one has more than enough output considering the EVO guys do 800+ with it (on high boost).
    Ya that It quite a bit of potential with that system for sure. Great work the engine bay looks like art. I guess having the "neck down" portion of the cobb catback hasn't hurt you too much haha.
    Again thanks for all the great photos makes the experience very personal
    TP stage1 - AEM CAI - Cobb CBE - Whiteline sways - Kartboy Endlinks - SS - GS MCB - GS HS - Whiteline Bushing Catalog - Group N Pitch Stop - Group N Trans mount - Rally Armour UR - Tint

Quote Originally Posted by RedMed427 View Post
    Mmmm Cobb exhaust. How do you like it compared to the others with the elh? Oh and nice porting!
    I like the sound a lot! Nice and rumbly but not too loud. And pretty quite while cruising.

Fuji does great porting work!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbospeed View Post
    Ya that It quite a bit of potential with that system for sure. Great work the engine bay looks like art. I guess having the "neck down" portion of the cobb catback hasn't hurt you too much haha.
    Again thanks for all the great photos makes the experience very personal
    Fobia did a great job on the pipe routing. I also had him cut off the 2.5" flange on the COBB exhaust and weld on a flat 3" flange.

Here's a quick exhaust video:

It's a COBB catback with the 2.5" flange cut off and a flat 3" flange welded on.

Exterior photos:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links