Wilwood TCE Performance Big(gest) Brake Kit - 14" WS4 kit
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wilwood TCE Performance Big(gest) Brake Kit - 14" WS4 kit

[size=small]TCE/WILWOOD Big Brake Kit- 14 x 1.25" rotors, WS4 Calipers and TCE custom brackets.

[/size]

[size=small]TCE Performance Products- http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/

[/size]
    [size=small]Car:[/size][size=small] 2009 WRX Hatch- 5x100 w/ Rota Gravel 18x8.5 +44 wheels

[/size][size=small]Box and Appearance -[/size][size=small] Very well packaged combo of parts directly from Wilwood and from TCE. Excellent and clear break-in instructions and a general (non-application specific) installation guide.

[/size][size=small]Install- [/size][size=small] Install was straight forward but requires some standard sized hex keys (american) versus the metric stuff I am used to- mostly for installing Hat on Rotor. Also requires RED loctite (not included) and Anti-seize (not included). Here is a brief step-by step after securely jacking up vehicle, removing wheels. Pre-assemble rotor to hat using a tiny dab of red loctite on each bolt. This is best to do in front of TV as it will take an hour or so. I also had to buy different bolts as the thread pitch of the TCE bracket did not match the stock pitch. [/size]
    [size=small]Some Install tips: [/size]
    [size=small]1. Remove calipers from vehicle but keep brake lines attached and let hang. You will need a breaker bar to free the 17mm backing bolts and space is limited. I found starting on the driver's side and turning the wheel to the right allowed the best access. [/size]
    [size=small]2. Remove rotors- you can do this a number of ways with force, or simply use 2 bolts on the face of the hat to "push the rotor off" of the hub. Using a Makita cordless driver, 2 bolts with 10mm heads and a socket, this took 15 seconds. Using a sand mallet took 5 minutes and a lot of patience and energy. [/size]
    [size=small]3. Using Tin Snips (the quick and dirty method), cut away the dust shield as close to the steering knuckle as possible. You can remove it completely, but that is a much larger project. This is super important for rotor clearance and will allow more air to flow into the backside of the rotor. [/size]
    [size=small]4. Install bracket onto the INSIDE of the stock tabs (towards the engine), the Stock was mounted on the outside, towards the fender opening- THIS IS CRITICAL AND NOT MENTIONED IN THE INSTRUCTIONS (but will likely be added)! [/size]
    [size=small]5. The rest is straight forward if you've done this before and/or covered in the instructions. [/size]

[size=small]Effectiveness[/size][size=small]
    The main goal for me was creating a braking system with fantastic feel, immense braking power for DOT-R or similar tires and the best heat management I could afford. After the bedding-in procedure, I re-bled the system (5 minutes per side) and the result is an amazing pedal feel! I had considered a Master Cylinder brace before, but the pedal is now rock solid and doesn't seem to require a full leg-press worth of effort to stop on a dime! 5-stars!!

[/size][size=small]Final Thoughts[/size]
    [size=small]I've heard mixed things over the years about Wilwood. The WS4 caliper is huge and is the WS6 body (6-piston) with only 4 pistons bored into it. I have always drooled over Brembo's, but the price on this kit was just over $2k for the fronts... and the experience is AMAZING. I even got a set of race pads for the track. I upgraded my rear brakes at the same time with pads and lines, and used RBF600, but will likely use Castrol LMK on the next go-round. [/size]

[size=small]TCE service was awesome, the kit was at my door within 2 weeks, and having done a little R&D with the thread pitch, test-fit, etc, the ones you order will be perfect. This kit came with shims for caliper alignment but the machining from TCE was so precise I didn't have to use ANY and the alignment is perfect. [/size]

[size=small]On the track and in the twisties my braking points are comically late and the pedal feel is linear and perfect. The main drawback to this particular kit is the need to run 18" wheels and making sure they clear the spokes. I have 18x8.5 Rota Gravel in +44 and they fit with plenty of room. 18" track tires are considerably more than 17's, and since I DO take my car to the mountains, I will have to ditch the snows and pick up some all-season options. [/size]

[size=small]Even with the gigantic slotted rotors, the calipers and rotors come in slightly under stock WRX weight for what is twice the brake... F'in Awesome!
    [/size][size=small]Pictures -[/size]
    Attached Images Attached Images                                          
    -2009 WRX Wagon-
    TCE/Wilwood WS4/14" BBK
    SoCal Porting Manifolds, Grimm Cross and Up-Pipes
    Perrin- TMIC, DP, AP, CAI
    Torqued Performance "Stage 3" tune.
    Rota 18x8.5 wheels, Hankook RS-3 Tires 245-40-18
    Koni Inserts, Epic Springs, Eibach Front and rear sways, Lot's of Whiteline, Kart Boy End Links, D-werks Fuel Pump... ETC

Re: Wilwood TCE Performance Big(gest) Brake Kit - 14" WS4 kit

Very nice...355mm FTW! Do get some better pictures up when you have the chance.
    2009 WRX Sedan | Forman Custom Rotated GTX3076R Kit | Gruppe-S EL Header | TiAL 44mm EWG | Reversed STI Manifold | Invidia CBE | Perrin FMIC | Aquamist HFS-3 | Tarmac2 Coils | Stoptech 328x28mm BBK | Rota Grids 18x8.5 | 255/35/18 Star Specs | Whiteline 24/22 | Carputer | N-1 CS Lip |

MMR

looks tight. get some wheel center caps :O
    Slow and Steady
    2010 WRB WRX (gone and missed
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    )
    2012 SWP STI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

I have center caps, but I heard running them without adds like 10whp. :P

I'll take some better pics this week when I have the car on the lift. It's hard to get a good shot because the silver is so bright and the wheels are so dark. Maybe I'll break out the camera instead of the phone...

-2009 WRX Wagon-
    TCE/Wilwood WS4/14" BBK
    Koni Inserts, Epic Springs, Eibach Front and rear sways, Lot's of Whiteline, Kart Boy End Links, D-werks Fuel Pump... ETC

Should have something of a matching rear kit in the not too distant future also.....

Nice, those are some beefy rotors, no half measures there!

I am so curious as to where the pistons are bored in that caliper, since it looks for all the world like a 6 piston from the outside.

There are 2 on either side (the outside humps), and none in the middle. I don't know the diameter, but the 6-piston has smaller pistons. Wilwood probably saves money by just making a ton of the one caliper, but it can be configured in 2 ways. The end result is a poser-6-piston at a good price that works perfectly with the stock WRX Master and looks amazing.

EDIT- See Todd's response below... I just bolt the parts on!
    -2009 WRX Wagon-
    TCE/Wilwood WS4/14" BBK

Clearly for production reasons; there are actually multiple configurations of the same body shell in both 4 and 6 piston. Being the same price however this one is used by design for its appropriate area requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd TCE View Post
    Clearly for production reasons; there are actually multiple configurations of the same body shell in both 4 and 6 piston. Being the same price however this one is used by design for its appropriate area requirements.

I gotcha, mostly for the right amount of area here. Do you happen to know the piston sizes in this particular kit?

Hoping to do the test fit for the new rear kit in the coming week finally. Should prove a good compliment to the front kit so long as I can make it all fit as hoped! Tight fit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links