Subaru WRX Forums banner

2013 Subaru WRX or wait for 2014 Subaru WRX?

32K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  MarcRX 
#1 ·
I really want a 2013 WRX, and my wife and I are nearly ready to buy. However, I'm afraid I might miss out on the 2014, if it's anything to talk about. I need to act somewhat soon, because in most cases new car years/models start production on July 1.

So should I go with the proven 2013 or hold out until more information on the 2014 is available and risk missing the 2013 model?

Thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach

#3 ·
Hard to say, articles are all over the place. I was gunna hold off on my 13 for a 14 after I read an article about a uear ago about them separating the WRX from the impreza and making it more aggressive. But then I read a newer article about 3 months before I got my 13 about them going back to a 2.0L. Which isnt such a bad thing... but would probly mean my 2009 WRX mods (TBE, intake etc) wont fit. so I said fcuk it and got a 13. if you buy now or wait it's a win/win situation... Either way you come out with a WRX!! 😝

#5 ·
The boxer sound is more the design and the headers. Going to Equal Length Headers will soften the boxer sound. Going from 2.0-2.5 won't kill the boxer... ie all the older models

#8 ·
Yeah, I saw that. That car looks a little too Chryslerish to me. I would think if it were going to be produced in July, we would have seen some real life prototypes. At this point, it's still on the drawing board. Think of how long it took the BRZ to go from paper to it's final redesign.

#11 ·
but then again u never know whats going to happen the year after u can wait till 15 and then it get upgraded in 16 and so on and so forth. when I got my 12 I knew thats exactly what I wanted. so if u like the 2013 enough get it if ur not sure wait. who knows when the next model is going to come out and if it will even look anything like this at all. I want to see how this new turbo theyre talking about holds up though

#13 ·
If you find color options etc grab it for sure. If u wait long enough there may be clear out incentives

#15 ·
No one has thrown this out there so I will offer my $.02. If you are going to get into heavy modification to make power, get an STI. New STI old STI, makes no difference. You get to a certain point with a regular WRX where its fun, but you want more. And more means 1- transmission failure, 2- engine build (STI would share the same issue) plus you have the brembos and the better resale. If you dont plan to modify the car I would say buy a '13 WRX. You'll get a better deal, ideal financing, and they are still hard to find (in demand).

Its an awesome car in any weather on any ground (very reliable) with a lot of potential, it all depends on what you are looking for. WRX's are hot right now, there are no two ways about it. I would argue its actually harder to find a new WRX vs an evo.

I wouldn't get the first year of a redesign in any car, not just Subaru. There are always kinks and critics and suby will learn how to satisfy consumers the following year. Just make sure if you get a '13 you buy a loaded limited model so you don't feel technologically outdated.

#27 ·
If you dont plan to modify the car I would say buy a '13 WRX. You'll get a better deal, ideal financing, and they are still hard to find (in demand).
I sort of agree, but I'd say if you don't plan on modding, but want the best stuff you can get an extended warranty on- get the STI. Depends on your budget, but you couldn't make a WRX into and STI for the $6k difference. I got the WRX, sort of wish I got the STI... would have modded either.

#16 ·
I would say the opposite. if he wants to mod heavily might as well get a wrx save the extra money to mod. a 3g wrx has just as much potential as a sti. the main thing a sti has over a wrx is the transmission is way stronger nothing a set of par or ppg gears cant fix then again a 5 speed and 6 speed both have their places. personally I'd rather wait till the second year of a new model because like u said there may be some things they need to fix.

#17 ·
It's been proven that par or ppg gears can be broken case in point (xluben), also the transmission case has some to do with this, sti s have LSD front and rear as opposed to our open diffs, don't forget oem brembos. Other than that yes I agree with you. If you spend as much on a wrx or more than why wouldn't you get an sti.

#19 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys. I pretty much want a fun to drive car with the comfort of being a daily driver. I plan to do some basic modifications, but nothing serious. My finished product would basically be stage 2 with new wheels, tires, and suspension.

I have a couple potential buyers on my 350z. Hopefully I can get out of it within a couple weeks and I'll probably just order a 13 White Sedan.

#22 ·
Where are you located? There is a dealer 40min north if me sitting heavy with satin white pearls in all trims

#25 ·
My dealer in Besenville IL has a '13 limited orange if that tickles your fancy

#26 ·
Orange tickles my stomach in a bad way. haha

I ordered a premium white sedan 4 door that should be here in two weeks. The dealership said they were going to confirm the purchase with the other dealer they were trading with today and get back with me. Now I can't get a hold of the son of a bitch. Why is buying a car always such a pain in the ass?

#28 ·
I'm considering a new WRX and like the next gen WRX but it appears that it will be 2015 model that may be released late in 2014. However like others haven't seen any definitive data on release and availability date but new models like someone noted do have teething issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.