Subaru WRX Forums banner

Blackstone Labs used oil analysis (UOA) report share thread

28K views 89 replies 33 participants last post by  Breezio 
#1 ·
This thread is for people who might be interested in comparing notes on UOA reports, specifically from Blackstone Labs (www.blackstone-labs.com). They offer free kits that they mail to you, and detailed instructions and packaging for taking samples and sending them back to the lab (USPS return shipping is only $1.90). It not expensive ($25 for the basic analysis and $10 more for additive analysis used in determining the practicality of extended usage of your oil) and gives a nice picture of engine health at a nice regular interval. I know there are a few of us that use the service and thought it might be nice to compare notes.

For starters, here is my report from my 12k mi oil change in early December 2010. It was a 3k mi usage interval and the oil was Castrol Syntec 5w30 full synthetic. Note that the "Universal Averages" are from Subaru 2.5L turbo (EJ25X) engines in my geographic region. Enjoy!

See less See more
#7 ·
Steve, do you know if blabbering ships to Canada to do those tests?
I read somewhere that Blackstone does receive samples from Canda, but the postal regs in Canada are obviously different so mailing might be an issue. If you're interested, I'd definitely recommend giving them a ring, as I have heard they have EXCELLENT customer service.

---

Thanks, for posting, Nate! Looks like we got pretty similar results. Nice to have some (at least isolated) validation. I wasn't sure if anyone else would post a report! ;D

-----

BTW, check out the FAQ page if you have a minute and could use a laugh. At least a giggle. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/faq.php

#5 ·
like i said, very interesting and thanks for posting your results. it'll be nice to have this be the comparo thread and hopefully get enough people involved to see how long some of these oils can perform to and under what conditions and geographic locations. i got 3500 miles on the oil in her now, ordered my kit yesterday and will post up when the results get here in about two weeks. thanks for starting us off!

#9 ·
I read somewhere that Blackstone does receive samples from Canda, but the postal regs in Canada are obviously different so mailing might be an issue. If you're interested, I'd definitely recommend giving them a ring, as I have heard they have EXCELLENT customer service.

---

Thanks a lot i will try that out

-----

#15 ·
Found this site to be very informative for anyone to check out: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

Another component is emergency lubricants. This is typically zinc, phosphorous, and molybdenum. These chemicals are present in case your oil film completely breaks down, due to extreme temperatures or pressures. These chemicals are supposed to be a last resort defense against metal to metal contact in your engine. Oil companies are cutting back on zinc and phosphorous, as these metals are hard on your catalytic converters. They're substituting molybdenum disulfide, which lowers friction and improves gas mileage. It also causes problems for people with wet clutches, that is most motorcycles.

#13 ·
I tried a thread like this a while ago but nobody contributed :(

Nice to see more people doing this now with our cars. The higher moly count can be due to comparing different oild (it's an anti-wear additive so some use more in their blend).

#17 ·
just ordered my kit, due for an oil change in a about 1000 miles, so wont be for a little bit...see how good Amsoil XL 5W-30 is...says its good to 7500 miles but i change at the normal 3750..

#22 ·
my results came for my motul 5w-30 oil at ~4500 miles...

this is the first bit of oil since i installed my killerb baffle, pickup, and pan and am thinking that the aluminum and metal substrates they found are related to that and not the suggested piston/ring wear they mention. i'm going to clean up my air filter, and check my fmic uncharged pipe for any particles of dirt/debris to clear up their other note and then do an "oil flush" and change and see how things look at 4k again per their suggestions.

this is exactly why you do this kind of thing, no way in heck i would have known on my own. it will be a nice peace of mind once i get everything cleared.

i was happy to see that i had a ton of TBN (additive) left even at this mileage which if i can get my other levels to normal will really make me happy to have an oil i can run for longer durations as long as the viscosity is in line in the next sample.

keep posting your individual results for comparos!

#23 ·
Amsoil all the way. I send my analysis through the local Caterpillar dealer. Its 13 bucks and they go through everything. I will post when I get my sheet.

#27 ·
Nice reports. I just ordered a kit so hopefully it arrives soon. I'm hitting the track in about a week and wanted to change my oil soon after that. I'll be sure to post up whenever I get a report.

#28 ·
I just ordered up a kit. I have generally used quaker state full synthetic 5w-30. I am interested to see how this fairs against most brands, plus i am also a little rough on my motors when I drive.
I just changed my oil so it will probably be a little while till I can do my analysis.

#29 ·
got my two reports ive done. havnt done one in about 15k.

to answer the question someone asked about molybdenum heres what i found-
Another component is emergency lubricants. This is typically zinc, phosphorous, and molybdenum. These chemicals are present in case your oil film completely breaks down, due to extreme temperatures or pressures. These chemicals are supposed to be a last resort defense against metal to metal contact in your engine. Oil companies are cutting back on zinc and phosphorous, as these metals are hard on your catalytic converters. They're substituting molybdenum disulfide, which lowers friction and improves gas mileage. It also causes problems for people with wet clutches, that is most motorcycles....molybdenum to lower internal engine friction and improve gas mileage.

the reason mine is so high now is because at 9300 miles i switched from Mobil 1 to Redline. looks like Redline wants my motor more protected!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.