reoccurring oil control valve failure
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

reoccurring oil control valve failure

I have a 2018 WRX that I have had the oli control valves replaced, one side at 4,500 miles & the other at 7,700 miles and looks like again at 12,000 miles. It's currently in the shop and they won't look at it until Monday. At 4,500 they told me that the oil was low and if I drove it like a WRX that it would lose oil, that's why the valve clogged and i should check the oil at every fill-up. I did start checking the oil after then and it never seemed to lose any oil. So here we are about 1,000 miles after an oil change at the dealership and the dash lights up like a christmas tree again. Needless to say I am furious, so after dropping the car off at the dealership I went and got AmsOil and took it back to the dealership and told them that we'd eliminate at least one of the possible problems with some better oil and that they were not to put the Subaru oil in my car again. Even if the problem doesnt occur again it doesn't give me a good feeling that the car is so flawed that this is an issue to begin with and I'm afraid I have a lemon on my hands. Has anyone experienced this? I also was told by my AmsOil distributer that my dealership's service department, Ferguson in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, has a poor reputation and that some of his customers will drive two hours away to Oklahoma City for service instead of taking their cars to Ferguson. Does anyone have any opinion on Ferguson or the Oklahoma City dealership? ANy advice on the reoccurring problem or the dealership's reputation would greatly be appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmocker
    hey, just made account today so can't respond. i found this: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2677824
    also, i know it's out of the way, but i went to adventuresubaru in fayetteville, they've been way better than trying a dealership in tulsa for multiple reasons, pretty straight forward help. good luck!
    ANd as newbie myself, I can't reply to your PM. Now how does that work?

Thanks for the info RM. I'll check out the link. What Ferguson told me was that they had to contact the manufacturer and Subaru told them what to do, and what they told me was Mechanics 101. They told them to clean the oil passages. HELOOOO!?!? If a car gets gunked up with sludgy oil at 7,000 miles, or anytime, wouldn't cleaning out all the sludge be job #1? Sounds like a bunch of part replacers and not a mechanic one in the bunch of them. And guess what... I still have my amsoil, evidently they did not change the oil this time, or they did and disregarded my wishes.

hmmm, 7k? i was informed to oil change every 6k. it's quite possible the oil they're using is inferior, i.e. 50/50 conventional/synthetic or just poor quality. i've only ever delt with a dealership once and that was what they tried to sell me from my first car. since then i always replaced it myself. it's possible too that they aren't changing oil like they should in attempts to service vehicle soon after warranty (not saying they are, but you can't fully trust someone who's job is on the line based on amount of vehicles serviced)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

Sorry, I left out the Oil change History:
    1st oil change @3000
    @4,500 miles the oil was evidently low enough to get gummy and clog the 1st Oil Control Valve - Oil was changed
    @7,700 miles the oil was evidently low enough to get gummy and clog the 2nd Oil Control Valve
    @12,000 miles the oil was evidently low enough to get gummy and clog the Oil Control Valve that I assume was replaced at 4,500 miles - The dealership did not record this service and I don't thin they changed the oil this time, because......... 6 weeks later
    @14,000 miles the oil was evidently low enough to get gummy and clog the Oil Control Valve that I assumed was replaced at 7,700 miles - the manufacture has gotten involved now.
    @

holy shit, man.that's no good. if you get any results back, please post info

Well, they've had the car for 21 days this time and I'm still waiting. I did a little research over the weekend and this looks like it satisfies the Oklahoma Lemon Law, so I'll be contacting one of the law firms that specialize in that. At this point, I'll always be fearful that this motor is is about to blow up on me, no matter what they tell me. At the very least I need a full lifetime warrantee on the motor, but if it does qualify as a lemon, I could end up with a replacement car or all my money back, including tag & taxes.

Update:
    After the car has been in the shop for the 4th time for the lost oil issue, and they kept it 22 days this time, they called me to tell me that they replaced a cam sprocket and it was ready to pick up. I picked the car up and at the first stoplight I started smelling burning oil. My first thought was that they probably neglected to clean the engine off and it was just burning off the spilled oil. Another couple minutes and I'm in the driveway and notice a cloud coming fro the exhaust. A couple mashes on the accelerator and a couple big clouds of smoke and I'm thinking surely the engine is warmed up enough that this is not just condensation on a cold day. I get out of the car and hear the engine now has a healthy ticking noise, not quite a knock, but an ugly ticking and we go straight back to the dealership. They call this morning and claim the problem is unrelated to anything they've done and that the ticking noise was the fuel pump cam spring and they've ordered a fuel pump assembly and fuel lines. 3-day delivery on the parts, so we're most likely looking at the middle of next week before they are done this time. Another 5-6 days I suspect.

There's nothing anyone can say or do that will convince me that this motor will not prematurely crater on me. I would not be surprised if this all boils down to sabotage by a disgruntled Subaru factory worker.

if you can get out of that car,i would suggest getting a different one soon. definitely an oil issue, short of them replacing the engine, i wouldn't trust it. though i think their warranty is based on moving parts or something like that

So, I picked up the car this past Friday. in addition to the fuel pump, they changed a host of seals, which to me is the ONLY thing they've done that is remotely related to the actual problem. It's raining pretty solid and everything seems fine. Saturday we go do some running around. The rain has stopped, but there's still running water in the gutters. After 30 minutes or so of shopping, we go back to the car and there's a nasty oil sheen in the gutter running all the way to the storm inlet and it's coming from under the car. We get home and there's oil sheen on the still wet driveway. I pop the hood and theres a collection of oil sitting in the belly pan. I'm still hopefull its just from a sloppy mechanic that also doesn't clean up after himself. A few hours later we go to the in-laws and after 20 minutes theres a now football sized oil spot under the car. We do a littl more running around and back to the in-laws for another 20 minutes or so and another slignthly smaller oil spot. It's going back to the dealership Monday morning.
    Last edited by BryanHerron; 01-12-2019 at 09:48 PM.

i suggest a diff dealer man, go to adventure subaru

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links