2016 WRX 6 speed manual / clutch engagement from a stop
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin

2016 WRX 6 speed manual / clutch engagement from a stop

So I have been driving manual tranny cars most of my life, including the year + I have had my '16 WRX. I will not say I am an expert with manual transmission cars but I do okay, not horrible with heel toe downshifts, etc. I will swallow my pride however when it comes to getting my WRX going from a stop in everyday driving, as in not racing starts. My issue is not finding the clutch friction point, it's with the hyper sensitive gas pedal. It's either too much and I look like a noob, or not enough and I don't get a smooth start. Any sort of "spirited" starts are easy, just finding giving the right amount of gas for more gentle starts such as in heavy traffic or grandma in the car is hard for me. I test drive a Kia with a manual that my wife was looking at a number of years ago and it was very sensitive as well.

Is this sensitive gas pedal common for this generation of WRX?
    Can anyone share their tips or tricks for getting a nice smooth start from a stop under relaxed driving conditions?

Thank you.
    My wife thanks you

My 2019 WRX manual trans does the same thing it has a very strange and not consistent point of engagement. Also in town trying to shift through the gears quickly when in traffic is not very easy as the RPMs hang for a few seconds during shift change I don’t know if that’s an issue with you either but I have found that is common trait with WRX is specially the newer fourth GEN’s I have 30+ years of Racing manual transmissions both dragracing and road racing cars and motorcycles so it’s not like I don’t know what I’m doing but I have asked around and found that the GEN fours are not the best in less than spirited driving as far is accelerating from a stop in the first couple of gears I know for myself after several thousand miles of driving in town I have found the sweet spot at least most of the time like I said it’s not always consistent at least not in my car

In short, the best way to modulate the gas pedal in the smallest increment is by pressing it at the top of the pedal

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

I tried pressing at the top of the pedal. Seems to work, thanks ! Previously I have tried keeping my heel farther from the gas and pressing on the bottom, but this works better. Are you keeping your heel on the floorboard? I am and just visualize pushing with just my toe. Of course in most any shoe the entire foot moves, but seems to work.
    Someone on a forum -can't remember which and would have to dig it up again- found some higher resistance springs and put them in his pedal assembly. Old school direct linkage throttles did have their pluses !

A stage 1 tune with a Cobb accessport worked for me, like night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    So I have been driving manual tranny cars most of my life, including the year + I have had my '16 WRX. I will not say I am an expert with manual transmission cars but I do okay, not horrible with heel toe downshifts, etc. I will swallow my pride however when it comes to getting my WRX going from a stop in everyday driving, as in not racing starts. My issue is not finding the clutch friction point, it's with the hyper sensitive gas pedal. It's either too much and I look like a noob, or not enough and I don't get a smooth start. Any sort of "spirited" starts are easy, just finding giving the right amount of gas for more gentle starts such as in heavy traffic or grandma in the car is hard for me. I test drive a Kia with a manual that my wife was looking at a number of years ago and it was very sensitive as well.

Is this sensitive gas pedal common for this generation of WRX?
    Can anyone share their tips or tricks for getting a nice smooth start from a stop under relaxed driving conditions?

Thank you.
    My wife thanks you
    It was a wonderful day when I could drive a standard again in mellow driving conditions (like 98 % of the time). It's not the clutch, it's the throttle response controlled by whatever it is , the egu thingy or whatever you call it.

Quote Originally Posted by oneballjay View Post
    It was a wonderful day when I could drive a standard again in mellow driving conditions (like 98 % of the time). It's not the clutch, it's the throttle response controlled by whatever it is , the egu thingy or whatever you call it.

Agree. I find the clutch to be fine, it's the pesky gas pedal. I think the RPM's hanging for a second after you let completely off is some sort of emissions function. Glad I am not the only one noticing this.

COBB Access Port the car is so much more a pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    Agree. I find the clutch to be fine, it's the pesky gas pedal. I think the RPM's hanging for a second after you let completely off is some sort of emissions function. Glad I am not the only one noticing this.
    Get you an COBB Access Port the car is so much more a pleasure to drive.
    Takeoffs are easier the rev hang is 80% gone, it's so much more fluid and smooth.
    Even if you just load up the Stage1 91 tune and never do anything else to the car it is worth it.
    MAPerformance will give you, as an extra, a tune of your choice I run their Stg 1 93 oh and top end 4500+ is improved also.

Links