2016 WRX / 6 spped. Rattles when cold. Clutch or something else
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin

2016 WRX / 6 spped. Rattles when cold. Clutch or something else

Hi all. I did see a very recent thread re: clutch failure but I am not sure this is my issue so starting a new thread.
    2016 WRX 6 speed. 35k - I bought used with 23K. I have not been rough at all with this car. Unknown what it's life was before, but there were some sticker residue on the windows that make me think the prior owner had a tune on it. Bought from Carmax so I believe the dealer or the owner flashed it back to stock. Feels stock to me.

Symptoms which started a few days ago:
    On cold starts ( car, not outside, NC summer!) there is a rattling noise that occurs when I release the clutch while in gear, both for takeoffs from a stop and when changing gears. It is not constant and will subside briefly until the next change.
    Example- back out of driveway upon cold start- no noise. Do a gentle take away (in 1st of course) to get rolling down the street, rattles b. Shift to second, same thing. As it it dying down if I give a little gas it comes back. If while cold I push in the clutch and give some gas no rattle at all. Only when in gear.
    As the car warms up this rattling becomes less and less. While idling when doing a cold start, clutch out and in neutral it never ever rattles. Giving a bit of gas, no rattle.
    To me the rattle is kind of like a heat shield - metallic sounding. My wife was in the passenger seat the day after I started to hear it and on a cold take off in 1st she said she felt a brief vibration thru the floorboard. I have not but I am working pedals so maybe that is why?
    I did a quick inspection of the exhaust, as much as I could without ramps or having it up on a lift, and didn't find anything obvious, but I didn't have the best clearance either. But to me if it was exhaust it would not be speed or gear/ clutch specific.
    Also I have that whistling noise when I push the clutch in while cold. Had that since I bought it but not the rattle. I have spoke with my local service dept. about it and they say no known service issues, so I have been waiting for a time I could leave it overnight so they could check it out. Related?
    I still have power-train warranty so will be making an appointment with dealer in hopes that if it is a clutch type issue it can be covered. But I do want to get some opinions so I am not going into something blindly. Any thoughts are totally appreciated!
    Thank you.

So my noise problem was from a broken exhaust hanger just behind the catalytic converter. The mechanic at the service center had to drop some of the exhaust to replace it but now quiet ( except for what I want to hear) Even when it wasn't making that really metallic rattle it must have been making some noise because when I drove it home it seemed super quiet, and it was already warm. Not 100% sure how it broke, I don't go off road, but I am guessing it could have started about a month ago when I couldn't avoid a flat piece of car tire on the Interstate. There was a lot of traffic and the SUV in front of me ran it over and sent it sliding back towards me. With cars on both sides of me I didn't have a lot of room to try and miss it and it ended up making a loud thud under my car. I am guessing it must have partially broke it and over time the vibrations, etc made it worse. Hope this helps someone at some point.

Links