settle the "can the dealer tell if i flashed?" debate once and for all
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

settle the "can the dealer tell if i flashed?" debate once and for all

I've searched and browsed and searched more and browsed more on this subject.

what i have found is as many people saying yes they can as there are people that say no they can't.

i know this is silly since there is a price to play, but all i want to run is stage 1. i just got my car back from the dealer after a center diff replacement and they told me they took a snapshot of my ecu. i was wondering whether this is to compare it to the next time i bring it in.
    from here i'm going the suspension route atleast for the time being but i just wanted to be sure about all of these myths.
    2009 silver WRX sedan ~ ultimate racing catback ~ K&N drop in filter ~ kartboy short shifter and bushings ~ blox 470 gunmetal knob ~ torque solutions pitchstop ~ RallyArmor basics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Re: settle the "can the dealer tell if i flashed?" debate once and for all

From what i know, the old ap v1, you could tell if the ecu was flashed. the v2 is a different story from what i know, something called the checksum value which tells you how many times the ecu has been flashed is the difference. When you save your stock data on your AP this takes a "picture" of the data before you flash your car, when you uninstall your ap it flashes that same data that was saved back onto your ecu like your ap was never there. I researched this a lot to and found out that info, others may chime in on that with their experiences and opinions.
    When i was asking Cobb about this issue they said there is always a small chance that this could be uncovered but from the naked eye you could not tell, the tech or whoever would have to know exactiy what they were looking for to determine your AP was ever there
    TP stage1 - AEM CAI - Cobb CBE - Whiteline sways - Kartboy Endlinks - SS - GS MCB - GS HS - Whiteline Bushing Catalog - Group N Pitch Stop - Group N Trans mount - Rally Armour UR - Tint

this should be interesting...

i feel like we'll never get a legit answer unless from someone that worked at a dealership that constantly deals with potentially modded cars (subaru, mitsubishi, audis bimmers...etc) that comes in.

then again, i think it all depends on the dealership, im sure they have the ability to look it up, it just depends on if they do or not.
    Now TP stage 2...K&N typhoon intake, CNT catted DP, Q300 Dual CBE, BC racing coilovers, KB SS, momo shift knob, DDM HIDs, 18x9.5 +38 w/ 225/40s

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jonnylin View Post
    this should be interesting...

i feel like we'll never get a legit answer unless from someone that worked at a dealership that constantly deals with potentially modded cars (subaru, mitsubishi, audis bimmers...etc) that comes in.

then again, i think it all depends on the dealership, im sure they have the ability to look it up, it just depends on if they do or not.
    I would pay to hear the truth about this, it is one of those debates that will never go away
    TP stage1 - AEM CAI - Cobb CBE - Whiteline sways - Kartboy Endlinks - SS - GS MCB - GS HS - Whiteline Bushing Catalog - Group N Pitch Stop - Group N Trans mount - Rally Armour UR - Tint

i've read about that whole checksum thing, and it sounds like it'd make sense.
    in my head though, the values would be on the stock rom that would be returned when flashed back.

also, this'd be pertaining to opensource with tactrix, at least for me it would be. that's one part i've never discovered. all the threads i've found on various forums have been for APv1 and v2.
    2009 silver WRX sedan ~ ultimate racing catback ~ K&N drop in filter ~ kartboy short shifter and bushings ~ blox 470 gunmetal knob ~ torque solutions pitchstop ~ RallyArmor basics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I don't know about you guys, but I have already told my dealer that I will be flashing a stage 1 tune on my LEASED 09 WRX, and they didn't seem to be to concerned. If something breaks because of your tune then you should pay the price, but if it turns out that the problem created has nothing to do with the tune then at least they know you have been honest and upfront. Rather than them searching and finding that you have reflashed. I would just be upfront with your dealer, and either you have to pay the price, or they find out that the part failed due to a defect or other ailment.

Quote Originally Posted by kamil99 View Post
    i've read about that whole checksum thing, and it sounds like it'd make sense.
    in my head though, the values would be on the stock rom that would be returned when flashed back.

also, this'd be pertaining to opensource with tactrix, at least for me it would be. that's one part i've never discovered. all the threads i've found on various forums have been for APv1 and v2.

[/quote

Yup, i have no idea about opensource if you can supposedly cover your tracks with this. I read to many forum thread pertaining to this and they were all from the previous verision op the AP so if anyone has any other new info that would fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by Mogul View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I have already told my dealer that I will be flashing a stage 1 tune on my LEASED 09 WRX, and they didn't seem to be to concerned. If something breaks because of your tune then you should pay the price, but if it turns out that the problem created has nothing to do with the tune then at least they know you have been honest and upfront. Rather than them searching and finding that you have reflashed. I would just be upfront with your dealer, and either you have to pay the price, or they find out that the part failed due to a defect or other ailment.
    Thats all fine and good but let's say that something breaks and they decide to be douches to you and you told them about your AP what foot do you have to stand on then? they can always take back what they say unless its in writing and at the end of the day an AP won't get your stuff fixed...just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by Turbospeed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogul View Post
    Thats all fine and good but let's say that something breaks and they decide to be douches to you and you told them about your AP what foot do you have to stand on then? they can always take back what they say unless its in writing and at the end of the day an AP won't get your stuff fixed...just sayin
    Sure they could do this, but I would like to see my dealer as honest. I just have to hope that nothing expensive breaks, and that if it does that my dealership will be understanding. If our cars can't handle 20-30 extra horsepower then what does that say about the cars we drive. They already put a 08 WRX silver rim on my 09 WRX with gunmetal rims when they changed out my defective rim. So I have some leverage :

seeee the same thing is happening to this thread as has happened to every other thread i've seen about this.
    people going back and forth about tell the dealer or don't tell, leverage this and getting fucked over that.

the topic is the technical aspect of "can it be confirmed?"

PS it took less than an hour for the subject to change.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links