Best Oil Filter ? - Page 3
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Best Oil Filter ?

So I'm not sure either to get the rx-8 filter or the OEM blue ones that I have been using all along. I feel if it has the same bypass valve pressure and if we find out it does have a backflow preventer I think it would be a better filter since its made by the same company as the old black Subaru filters and I think thats better than Fram which is known for bad quality. No?
    2009 WRX Sedan, TP Stage 2, Indvida Catted DP, GM EBCS

150bhp 3G Impreza fatality122887's Avatar

the only reason why you would need a bigger oil filter is if you are running an extended oil change and going past the recommended oil change intervals. more capacity isn't going to make your oil filter filter any better. If you want better filtering pick this up. http://www.shopfiltermag.com/ it is a magnet that locks it self onto the oil filter and they have one that has 90lbs of magnetic pull and one that has 300lbs of magnetic pull. I have the 300 one have never had any problems with it falling off and i have been using it since my first oil change. It pulls all the metallic particles that are small enough to make it past the filter media out of the oil and locks it against the side of the oil filter.

Proof that it works a good friend of mine has a 600 cubic inch motor in his race car and we rebuild it ever season. on the first 2 rebuilds the bearings where really fucked up looking, then he bought one of these and every rebuild the bearings looked a lot better. They still looked used but a lot less irregular wear. keep in mind he runs a 275 shot of nitrous and changed the oil and filter after every track day with synthetic oil. Never noticed any wired noises or performance decrease from the engine pre mag but it will defiantly extend the life of your motor.

just don't remove it until you take the filter off and replace it because as soon as you take it off the metal is free to move about your motor.

^^ Those magnets are cool, but damn expensive. Subscribed for later.
    09 WRX,TP Stage 3,Tsudo CBE,CNT DP,Cobb AP,Perrin TMIC,Whiteline,Kartboy,Agency power,CS style lip,Forge,GS 3port,Group N,XXR 527 Flat black 18x8.75
    [url=
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    src="http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a48/eminehart/TorquedPerformanceTuned.gif" border="0" alt="" class="tcattdimgresizersigs" onload="NcodeImageResizer.createOnSigs(this);" />

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

2500bhp Monster zulukingcrowned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fatality122887 View Post
    the only reason why you would need a bigger oil filter is if you are running an extended oil change and going past the recommended oil change intervals. more capacity isn't going to make your oil filter filter any better. If you want better filtering pick this up. http://www.shopfiltermag.com/ it is a magnet that locks it self onto the oil filter and they have one that has 90lbs of magnetic pull and one that has 300lbs of magnetic pull. I have the 300 one have never had any problems with it falling off and i have been using it since my first oil change. It pulls all the metallic particles that are small enough to make it past the filter media out of the oil and locks it against the side of the oil filter.

Proof that it works a good friend of mine has a 600 cubic inch motor in his race car and we rebuild it ever season. on the first 2 rebuilds the bearings where really fucked up looking, then he bought one of these and every rebuild the bearings looked a lot better. They still looked used but a lot less irregular wear. keep in mind he runs a 275 shot of nitrous and changed the oil and filter after every track day with synthetic oil. Never noticed any wired noises or performance decrease from the engine pre mag but it will defiantly extend the life of your motor.

just don't remove it until you take the filter off and replace it because as soon as you take it off the metal is free to move about your motor.
    That's pretty cool, may get one down the line. But, the black having bigger capacity is not the reason we're considering it better, it has higher quality innards.

150bhp 3G Impreza fatality122887's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulukingcrowned View Post
    That's pretty cool, may get one down the line. But, the black having bigger capacity is not the reason we're considering it better, it has higher quality innards.
    I don't know what kind of innards you think your getting in the filter but i will tell you this that the filter isn't going to filter any better or worse. you can only go so small on the pores of your filter and its about 20 micron for any filter. the only thing "higher quality innards" is going to do is be able to hold more contaminants inside the media before it doesn't filter anymore. So once again the only reason to use a "better" filter is if you are going to run a longer than recommended oil change cycle with the oils that say they can run 10,000 miles and what not. But honestly i wouldn't recommend that with a turbo car. just use a quality oil and the oem filter every 3000 miles and live your life worry free your looking way to far into this.

if you want to do something to improve your oil system look into an oil cooler or a larger capacity oil pan or baffles for your stock pan. but also if you get the oil cooler make sure you get one with a thermostat so that your oil warms up as quick as it would normally and also it will prevent your oil from not getting hot enough to boil the blow by fuel out of the oil. so you will want to also get a temp gauge to make sure A your thermostat is working and B ensure that your oil is hot enough. Don't quote me but i do believe it needs to be between 200 and 220 to boil off the fuel but not burn up the oil.

I have to order filters today because I have to change my oil already I think I'm just going to order the OEM blue ones like everyone says if you change them every 3k miles it shouldn't make a difference and who really knows if Mazda didn't change anything in their filter to make it work better with the rotary engine so it looks like I'm sticking with Rotella T6 and the OEM blue filters .
    2009 WRX Sedan, TP Stage 2, Indvida Catted DP, GM EBCS

Phew lots of discussion here!

I'd address some of the points but there is too much going on, I'll just give my impressions.

The Bypass pressure issue is real. Subaru uses a fairly unique high-flow oil system, which necessitates the higher bypass pressure. If you want the specifics, just go search over on Bob Is the Oil Guy forums, there is an excellent post over there explaining what conditions will cause you to have unfiltered oil when the correct filter will not.

There is a belief that I have never seen confirmed that Purolator filters have the correct bypass, many swear by them. As for the rest, just assume they don't. Subaru is a small player, just the same way a Metra radio harness is made for a Nissan and doesn't have all the wires for a Subaru, the aftermarket oil filters are made for other applications and just happen to fit.

Of course Subaru OEM filters are likely if not guaranteed to have the right specs. If you just want to get the right filter and be done, buy a case of these and move on, you can't go wrong with OEM approved!

OK, that out of the way, some people have a problem with the "blue" OEM filters made by Honeywell (FRAM). The old ones were black and made in japan by "Tokyo Roki". In fact your WRX should have been delivered with a Tokyo Roki filter, they still use them in Japan land for new cars and dealer service.

The old black filters have been cut open many times. What is in there is some nice looking stuff, metal end caps, very stiff bonding of the pleats to the end caps, and more filter area than most aftermarket filters. The blue filters are more similar to Fram aftermarket filters, with cardboard end caps. All the same criticisms that have been leveled at the Fram filters have been said about the Subie blue filter.

Now if you are someone who frets about details, what are you to do? With another make, you just don't use a Fram filter. With the Subie you are pretty much stuck with the OEM because of the bypass valve setting...

Enter the 09+ RX-8 filter, which happens to be made by Tokyo Roki, physically fits, and meets our bypass valve spec. Does it spec out in every other way? Who knows, but bypass pressure and proper fit are the biggest criteria. Being a bigger filter and the reputation of a Tokyo Roki, it should have at least as much if not more filter area than the stock filter. In this case pressure drop is likely at or better than the requirement for a Subaru. This is all more than can be said for ANY aftermarket filter.

Notice I stayed away from saying the Tokyo Roki is better...we don't really know, they just look a whole lot nicer when you open them up, than a Fram or Subie blue. Perhaps the Roki is overbuilt, and the Fram is all that is needed to get the job done. Some of us just feel better if we put something of a known high quality on our rides. Nothing wrong with either way.

I have been running the 09+ RX-8 filter for a couple changes now. I have oil pressure and temp gauges. Haven't noticed any difference, good or bad. The filter fits fine, I have it on my Sandwhich plate with the senders for my STI gauges, so there are no problems with fit. Our cars don't have oil coolers so we have plenty of clearance, and the Legacy guys with the stock oil cooler run them fine too.

damn nice write up power6!! +1 for you. i am still using the black roki filters. i only have 2 left though.
    vf-52 turbo, ptp turbo blanket, tp stage 3.52 tune, grimmspeed ebcs and aos, forge motorsports bpv, perrin catted downpipe, borla catback, tomei el headers and uppipe, perrin cai, perrin tmic, rallitek swaybars, avo endlinks, racecomp/bilstein cup kit with black springs, jna front lip, kartboy ss, 22b shift knob, rota tarmac3 wheels and re11 tires. best time, [email protected] 108, 1/4mile
    2014 legacy daily driver
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

2500bhp Monster zulukingcrowned's Avatar

Oh, Power. .you know just what to say.

Quote Originally Posted by zulukingcrowned View Post
    Oh, Power. .you know just what to say.

Ha I wish I could sum things up in like one sentence, or maybe a paragraph, I don't want to lose people with so much text. But there is always so much to say...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Links