shifting tecnique - Page 2
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: shifting tecnique

I've heard stories to about how weak the engine is and tranny is prone to throwing a gear. My guess is that's the exception not the rule otherwise no one would buy one. When you say launch I guess you mean dump the clutch from a stop?

Quote Originally Posted by jt subie View Post
    lol this thread is from a while back. when I first got my ride I started hearing all these horror stories about this and that and it had me trippin for a bit. I've learned a lot since then and know now that the 3g's dont have "glass transmissions" and are definitely a good bit stronger than the previous generations. still dont launch my ride though

Quote Originally Posted by MarcRX View Post
    I've heard stories to about how weak the engine is and tranny is prone to throwing a gear. My guess is that's the exception not the rule otherwise no one would buy one. When you say launch I guess you mean dump the clutch from a stop?
    you"ll read and hear a lot of what I now believe to be non sense or at least blown out of proportion. the transmissions in these cars are definitely not "weak" and if I recall correctly u mentioned only wanting to go stage 2 so if thats the case it should hold up fine. the motors are not weak either. stock tune does show a lean condition that is not the best thing in the world for ur car but ull probably be on a torqued performance map soon anyways lol. as for launching I mean revving up to higher rpms and just getting on it from a complete stop. clutch dumping launches could definately break ur transmission. theres a safer way to do it by slipping the clutch however just because its safer doesnt mean its not bad for ur car. so I stay away from it all together. remember with enough abuse any car can break. take care of ur car. if u mod do it correctly and every thing should be all good
    Last edited by jt subie; 05-10-2013 at 02:15 AM.

Rule of thumb for a happy clutch & tranny:
    Don't dump the clutch from a standstill & try not to launch from a standstill too aggressively. A rolling start is much easier on your drivetrain. I prefer to get into 2nd gear before I really giv'er the beans.
    Also, clutch dragging is a no-no. It should either be fully engaged (smoothly) or fully disengaged.
    2009 WRX 5-door - Cobb catted DP/SPT CBE/Andy's OS tune/Process West TMIC/GT Spec EL header/Devil's Own DVC-30 Meth Injection/AEM CAI/STI Short Shifter/Group N tranny & motor mounts/2011 STI springs & Konis/22 & 22 sways/Rallitek end links/Whiteline chassis & suspension bushings

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

Right, you want to slip your clutch on launches. There is a reason Subaru installed a valve in the clutch master cylinder that slows engagement.

How does it slow clutch engagement work? It releases pressure to prevent or minimize tranny or clutch damage?

Quote Originally Posted by wrxrcr View Post
    Right, you want to slip your clutch on launches. There is a reason Subaru installed a valve in the clutch master cylinder that slows engagement.

Where is everyone away for the summer?

Naw this forum is just lame sauce nowadays
    - Torque Solutions Short Throw- Holy Shift Kit- Group N Trans Mount- GT SPEC Strut Brace- AEM CAI- AVO Inlet- AVO TB Hose- Grimmspeed EBCS- Invidia Catless Downpipe- APM LS Catback- APM FMIC Kit- Forge BPV- DW65c Pump- ID 1000- GS EWG Up Pipe- Tial MVS- Kitsui 6k HID Kit- SMY Cluster- AEM AFR- AEM Boost- Rally Armor Flaps- GS Heatshield- PTP Lava Blanket- 04 STi BBS

You missed it's prime. RIP 3GWRX.com *pours a 40oz*

Yea to be honest all the forums are pretty dead now. even my local Subi forum is rarely used.
    2011 SSM Limited. Stage 3 TP
    2011 Premium TP Stage 2, Cobb SRI, Nameless AxleBack Exhaust.~sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by kcwrxfan View Post
    Yea to be honest all the forums are pretty dead now. even my local Subi forum is rarely used.
    when this was 3gwrx it was pretty happening. ive been here over 5 years now. its nothing like it used to be. alot of members sold their cars. i personally just use nasioc. ive sold stuff much quicker over there and found info being there are like 400k members on there!
    vf-52 turbo, ptp turbo blanket, tp stage 3.52 tune, grimmspeed ebcs and aos, forge motorsports bpv, perrin catted downpipe, borla catback, tomei el headers and uppipe, perrin cai, perrin tmic, rallitek swaybars, avo endlinks, racecomp/bilstein cup kit with black springs, jna front lip, kartboy ss, 22b shift knob, rota tarmac3 wheels and re11 tires. best time, [email protected] 108, 1/4mile
    2014 legacy daily driver
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links