shifting tecnique
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: shifting tecnique

shifting tecnique

I know dumping the clutch in our cars is a good way to say bye to your gears so my question is how fast should I release the clutch when spirited driving without having to worry about damaging my gears. 1st to 2nd is my main worry. I dont launch my car. thanks in advance. 2012 wrx

shifting tecnique

Well if your a avid shooter (guns),as i am, i use these words for alot of things even shifting.
    Smooth is fast.
    Fast is smooth.
    Last edited by 3GAWDJNKY; 08-26-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    Pro tuned (TXS)

i usually just get slightly moving then floor it. ive only launched a few times with mixed results. to drop down a gear, i blip the throttle and slide it right in. the tp mapping makes rev matching alot better to do. im still on the stock clutch on vf52 stage 3 and 48k miles. i guess my technique is holding up well. also swapping the subaru extra-s diff oil made a big difference in smoothness.
    vf-52 turbo, ptp turbo blanket, tp stage 3.52 tune, grimmspeed ebcs and aos, forge motorsports bpv, perrin catted downpipe, borla catback, tomei el headers and uppipe, perrin cai, perrin tmic, rallitek swaybars, avo endlinks, racecomp/bilstein cup kit with black springs, jna front lip, kartboy ss, 22b shift knob, rota tarmac3 wheels and re11 tires. best time, [email protected] 108, 1/4mile
    2014 legacy daily driver
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

I just think im releasing the clutch too slow when shifting to 2nd to avoid dropping it due to the stories ive heard about chipping gear teeth. 424wrx how much power are you putting down with that set up?

shifting tecnique

Quote Originally Posted by jt subie View Post
    I just think im releasing the clutch too slow when shifting to 2nd to avoid dropping it due to the stories ive heard about chipping gear teeth.
    Working on your shifting technic. You do not need to fully depress the clutch to shift gears. If you decide to lunch your car from the hole, you must first work on proper engagement.
    Start your car, put it in gear and slowly raise the pedal noting when the clutch starts to grab. This Is the sweet spot for clutch engagement/disengagement.

The more you work on your shifting without fully depressing the clutch the faster you will be at shifting. Your drive line and tranny will also be alot happier since you won't be shocking it.
    jt subie likes this.
    Pro tuned (TXS)

yeah the engagement point is really high I think that kind of throws me off a lil

I just think im releasing the clutch too slow when shifting to 2nd to avoid dropping it due to the stories ive heard about chipping gear teeth. 424wrx how much power are you putting down with that set up?
    never dynoed. id say from others numbers, about 300whp, 320wtq, give or take. the closest awd dyno is 3 hours from me. its a fun car though. ive had it since new and its a whole different beast now! lol
    vf-52 turbo, ptp turbo blanket, tp stage 3.52 tune, grimmspeed ebcs and aos, forge motorsports bpv, perrin catted downpipe, borla catback, tomei el headers and uppipe, perrin cai, perrin tmic, rallitek swaybars, avo endlinks, racecomp/bilstein cup kit with black springs, jna front lip, kartboy ss, 22b shift knob, rota tarmac3 wheels and re11 tires. best time, [email protected] 108, 1/4mile
    2014 legacy daily driver
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

In the test rides I've had with the WRX and STI I found the engagement point high but I'm guessing that as you drive it more you'll figure out how to adjust your foot movement for the sake of the clutch. Felt the Mazdaspeed and Evo had a bit more natural of an engagement point. I've asked the Subaru salesman if the engagement point can be adjusted lower, he said yes but believe he was just telling me what I wanted to hear to like the car better. I didn't have time to discuss this item with a dealer tech.

yeah the engagement point is really high I think that kind of throws me off a lil

Quote Originally Posted by 3GAWDJNKY View Post
    Well if your a avid shooter (guns),as i am, i use these words for alot of things even shifting.
    Smooth is fast.
    Fast is smooth.
    I've heard a slightly different variation to that saying, but hopefully it helps the OP. "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast"
    2012 wrx swp hatch: cobb DP, cobb ss, spt front tower strut bar, whiteline 20mm rsb, rallitek rear endlinks, bilsteins, RCE blacks, AEM intake, GFB bov

lol this thread is from a while back. when I first got my ride I started hearing all these horror stories about this and that and it had me trippin for a bit. I've learned a lot since then and know now that the 3g's dont have "glass transmissions" and are definitely a good bit stronger than the previous generations. still dont launch my ride though

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links