newb..subaru techs advise against sti
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: newb..subaru techs advise against sti

newb..subaru techs advise against sti

I am seriously in the market for a new or slightly used wrx when my truck sells. Yesterday I went to my trusted subaru dealer and asked about the wrx vs sti. The salesman and subaru techs are active engine builders and know their stuff. They said for my sake the sti wouldnt be worth it because of maintaince maily pointing out That the brembo brakes are expensive and expensive to work on..and afterall I'm not racing the car so why would I need them anyway? Plus as of right now I can't even hardly drive a manual vehicle...need to learn. I am very set on a wrx of some variation at the moment...they say the ownership of these cars isn't as cheap as I thought?
    Need to run 93 octane and $100+ oil changes...replacing clutches and fast wearing tires...I'll be honest..not sure I'm prepared for all this...can you guys chime in?

2500bhp Monster zulukingcrowned's Avatar
    Buy a WRX, close your account on here, forget about the aftermarket and enjoy the car. See you in a few years.
    99pgpgt likes this.

You want to run the best gas at your disposal, whats an extra .10 a gallon.... $1.50? If youre paying $100 for an oil change, you could go elsewhere or do it yourself, there is only one clutch and its awd...its what they do. Call your insurance and get a quote for both cars and see what you can afford.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

- Save yourself almost $8K by going with a WRX vs. the STI. You should save even more after factoring in the insurance savings.
    - Use that $8K for mods that'll allow your WRX to embarrass a stock STI.
    - Peruse the forums here to get educated on how to: a) drive the car without frying the clutch, b) do the routine maintenance yourself, c) choose mods that offer the best bang-for-the-buck.
    - Hook up with some local Subie guys for help when you need it.
    - Get used to paying about $4 more per tankful of gas - it's definitely worth it!
    - Tires should last about 25K miles unless you autocross or drive like a maniac.

These cars are inexpensive to own & maintain given their impressive performance. Just do a bit of research - the car's only weak points are relatively minor nuisances.
    Last edited by kingsalami; 05-17-2013 at 10:22 AM.
    2009 WRX 5-door - Cobb catted DP/SPT CBE/Andy's OS tune/Process West TMIC/GT Spec EL header/Devil's Own DVC-30 Meth Injection/AEM CAI/STI Short Shifter/Group N tranny & motor mounts/2011 STI springs & Konis/22 & 22 sways/Rallitek end links/Whiteline chassis & suspension bushings

What Zulu said. The Sti is awesome but yes, the WRX is a fantastic rig and you can save the 8k then spend much less than that to get an incredible car.

I was in your same boat, went with a used 2010 WRX and now have a personalized vehicle that I enjoy the crap out of driving everyday. I've spent WAY less than 8k on mods, did all the work myself as a green mechanic with the support of the community info here, and not only is my car faster than a stocker STi.....I know my car very intimately now and that's something you just don't get if you straight up buy a car and be done with it. Now that's not a bad thing to do but, in my opinion, I've had a much more valuable and engauged experience by going WRX and modding vs. buying an Sti that I can't mod because of budget. Plus, if you blow your whole nut on an Sti and have no funds left to upgrade......your car still looks like every other Sti that year!

Either way, you'll love your car I'm sure. They are both great right out of the box but, the WRX can go from great to astounding for a very reasonable amount of work and $$.

OK, enough of me on my tripple espresso rant! Good luck with it all, hope to see you around here soon!

Giddyup!
    My list:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

If u want a car that performs like a beast be prepared to pay a little more for gas and oil changes. for me that doesnt bother me one bit. I dont know where these outrageous $100 plus oil changes are maybe synthetic oil cost much more where u are??? anyways even if I had to pay $100 for a oil change my wrx would still be worth it and if I was able to do it all over again Id still take my wrx over a sti. just for the fact I prefer straight line acceleration

I pay... $26 + $6 filter. Rotella T6 and OEM filter.
    :: 08 OBP sedan | TP 3.52 | VF52 | TurboXS FMIC | EBCS | CNT Downpipe | Invidia Q300 | Walbro | KStech 73mm MAF | Group-N Mounts | Whiteline Bushings all around ::

If you know how to work on your car or have the the tools and want to learn, maintenance is very easy and cheap if you do it yourself.

Like ppl said, call your insurance and get a quote on both. Then factor what you'll be paying monthly and see which of the two is within your means. If they both are, take the sti hands down. The douchebag salesmen look like they were seriously exaggerating.

And I lol every time someone uses the regular vs premium fuel argument. Is 20 cents more on average and the tank fills with about 12-13 gallons. What's another $2 and change for performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Onsit View Post
    I pay... $26 + $6 filter. Rotella T6 and OEM filter.
    ^ +1 what he said.
    I use Castrol Edge (synthetic) & OEM filter. Takes about 20 min from start to finish due to the under-engine tray having to come off first.
    2009 WRX 5-door - Cobb catted DP/SPT CBE/Andy's OS tune/Process West TMIC/GT Spec EL header/Devil's Own DVC-30 Meth Injection/AEM CAI/STI Short Shifter/Group N tranny & motor mounts/2011 STI springs & Konis/22 & 22 sways/Rallitek end links/Whiteline chassis & suspension bushings

2500bhp Monster zulukingcrowned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onsit View Post
    OEM filter.
    Still using that piece of shit huh? Oil change costs me ~$60 doing it myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links