Oil change and preventative maintenance.
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oil change and preventative maintenance.

I have a 08 sti hatchback. I will be doing a oil change soon. What is the best oil and filter to use? Also what all should really be done and check to keep it top of the line and running great? I have just got this and need some tips and helpful facts.
    Thanks.

i use rotella t6 5w40 and black oem filters. for anything else, check your owners manual. its all listed in there by time frame and mileage. how long have you owned the sti?
    vf-52 turbo, ptp turbo blanket, tp stage 3.52 tune, grimmspeed ebcs and aos, forge motorsports bpv, perrin catted downpipe, borla catback, tomei el headers and uppipe, perrin cai, perrin tmic, rallitek swaybars, avo endlinks, racecomp/bilstein cup kit with black springs, jna front lip, kartboy ss, 22b shift knob, rota tarmac3 wheels and re11 tires. best time, [email protected] 108, 1/4mile
    2014 legacy daily driver
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I just got it the 31 of last month but the oil is soon do and just getting a head start on what all should be done

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

I use rotella 5w40 with wix filter, I change it every 3000 miles so far no problems

No problems in the winter with it being a thicker oil. Iv seen the same respond to other topics like mine. Think thats what im going to go with when its due.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy08 View Post
    No problems in the winter with it being a thicker oil. Iv seen the same respond to other topics like mine. Think thats what im going to go with when its due.
    i run the rotella 5w40 year round. these motors are always hard to turn over in cold weather anyway. we had some real cold almost 0 degree days last winter and she still started. whats the mileage on your sti? tranny and diff fluid makes a nice difference by swapping to a better fluid as well. i ran subaru extra-s on my 30 k service. this past month,i changed to motul gear oil for my almost 60k service. you rear if i recall is different than the wrx though. it takes special gear oil.
    vf-52 turbo, ptp turbo blanket, tp stage 3.52 tune, grimmspeed ebcs and aos, forge motorsports bpv, perrin catted downpipe, borla catback, tomei el headers and uppipe, perrin cai, perrin tmic, rallitek swaybars, avo endlinks, racecomp/bilstein cup kit with black springs, jna front lip, kartboy ss, 22b shift knob, rota tarmac3 wheels and re11 tires. best time, [email protected] 108, 1/4mile
    2014 legacy daily driver
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Heard Amsoil and Motul are good as well and most suggest OEM blue filter or Mazda black filter.

dmk
    Do a Google search for "energy conserving" wrx or "energy conserving" turbo.

Interesting information. A little scary.
    Last edited by dmk; 12-10-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    More Gs with Torqued Performance Stage 1 tune

Super Moderator
    Ive been using the same brand on my 08 only because there are no winters here, but I did use the redline series of lubricants for everything else.
    08WRX, TP Stage2, "Thou shalt not go stage 2 if thou hasn't installedeth a downpipe, unless thy wantest a checketh engine light. Lo, thou who installedeth a downpipe and has not tunedeth to stage 2 shall face thine engine's wrath, for thy dash shall become illuminated and proclaim "Hark, thou hast slain me", so sayeth the ECU."

I tried T6 because everyone online recommended it but it made too much valve train noise on cold start for me to be comfortable. I switched to Amsoil OE 5w30 at about 36k miles and have no issues. My used oil analysis comes back fine. I recently switched over to the Mazda RX8 filter; still waiting for the UOA to come back to compare it to the Subaru blue I was using. My 11 STI currently has about 56k miles on it.

If you have a torsen rear diff (your 08 came with it stock) you don't need special gear oil for it. You only have to worry about LSD additives if you have a clutch type (not what the torsen is). I use the same fluid in my transmission and rear diff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links