Will an '08+ STi cluster work in an '08+ WRX ??? - Page 2
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Re: Will an '08+ STi cluster work in an '08+ WRX ???

Why not just make friends with some one with an STi, borrow their cluster and turn the car on. Just don't drive it with theirs in.

Quote Originally Posted by kpWRX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ecbmxer View Post
    Separate thought relating to this. If you did a 6sp swap with OEM DCCD, could you somehow plug it into an STI cluster to get the pretty lights?
    This is actually my goal. To make an "08 STi.
    2008 had an STi, why make one when you could just trade for one? Cheaper that way. To each their own I guess. :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Torqued Performance Stg. 2
    Invidia Catless Turbo Back Exhaust

Will an '08+ STi cluster work in an '08+ WRX ???

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Machines View Post
    Why not just make friends with some one with an STi, borrow their cluster and turn the car on. Just don't drive it with theirs in.

Separate thought relating to this. If you did a 6sp swap with OEM DCCD, could you somehow plug it into an STI cluster to get the pretty lights?
    2008 had an STi, why make one when you could just trade for one? Cheaper that way. To each their own I guess. :
    Not a sedan though
    TP stage1 - AEM CAI - Cobb CBE - Whiteline sways - Kartboy Endlinks - SS - GS MCB - GS HS - Whiteline Bushing Catalog - Group N Pitch Stop - Group N Trans mount - Rally Armour UR - Tint

Quote Originally Posted by Turbospeed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simple Machines View Post

Not a sedan though
    Exactly. I got my car for cheap. I enjoy making it different. The '08 WRX is the unloved step child and I enjoy making it different. I know I'm putting a lot of money into it, but I'm doing it wisely and I'm always looking for deals.

My LOVE...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

WARNING: The preceding statements are my opinion only.... Actual mileage may very.... Results not typical....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements

I think i read online somewhere that a sti cluster will work in a wrx. The harness that connects both is the same i beleive. The only issue is that when the new cluster is plugged in, the car wont start because of the immobilizer. The guy that did it had to have the dealership reprogram something to get the new cluster to work with the car and get it to start. I cant remember, but i also think the mileage is stored in the cluster too, which means the mileage might be incorrect also. And the speedo will be slightly off too because the sti has 10 more on the readout. It wouold cost money to do the swap if yuo wanted it done right. It would bother me that my speedo was off, as well as the mileage. You could install a speedo healer to fix the speedometer, and send the cluster to get the mileage changed, but it would be more of a pain to get basically the same thing you have now.

I'm wondering if you can unplug the mileage display and swap it to the new cluster. I know on my Camaro you could swap the odometers and it would read correct.
    '09 WRB Sedan
    Buy my stuff

Quote Originally Posted by apexone4697 View Post
    I think i read online somewhere that a sti cluster will work in a wrx. The harness that connects both is the same i beleive. The only issue is that when the new cluster is plugged in, the car wont start because of the immobilizer. The guy that did it had to have the dealership reprogram something to get the new cluster to work with the car and get it to start. I cant remember, but i also think the mileage is stored in the cluster too, which means the mileage might be incorrect also. And the speedo will be slightly off too because the sti has 10 more on the readout. It wouold cost money to do the swap if yuo wanted it done right. It would bother me that my speedo was off, as well as the mileage. You could install a speedo healer to fix the speedometer, and send the cluster to get the mileage changed, but it would be more of a pain to get basically the same thing you have now.
    Thank you very much for that info. I will look into it and ask my dealer about the programing. My friend can program the correct mileage. My car only has a little over 24,000 miles on it. I'm getting an 2011 STi cluster. I also got the STi shifter trim and the STi hazard button and HVAC controls . I'm excited.

My LOVE...

WARNING: The preceding statements are my opinion only.... Actual mileage may very.... Results not typical....

Quote Originally Posted by lcmax View Post
    I'm wondering if you can unplug the mileage display and swap it to the new cluster. I know on my Camaro you could swap the odometers and it would read correct.
    I don't think so. I looked at the cluster when I install my SPT boost gauge and it seems as if it's all sealed.

My LOVE...

Update?

Super Moderator

the mileage display is a small pixel board. it is not hot-swappable and does not hold any data. the mileage is not "transferable" by switching clusters.

edit: as evidenced by the cluster being out and showing mileage, the mileage seems to be stored outside of the ECU/BIU and on the "brain board" as some call it on the cluster. i'll see about getting mine apart again and determining if the display is also a microprocessor of sorts. perhaps, there is more to this. i think most have always thought the mileage count was stored in the ECU.

the clusters come apart easily:

Super Moderator

kpwrx - it's been a while since you posted you were getting the 11MY cluster...did it arrive yet?

i have one arriving within a week with a bunch of other 08 STI drivetrain parts for my r180/5x100 hybrid axles. i'll be sure to post up but wanted to see if you had any update with your attempt.

thanks!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Links