Will an '08+ STi cluster work in an '08+ WRX ??? - Page 2
Subaru WRX Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53
  1. #11
    Super Moderator
    snwbdr94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,581
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Will an '08+ STi cluster work in an '08+ WRX ???

    Why not just make friends with some one with an STi, borrow their cluster and turn the car on. Just don't drive it with theirs in.


    Quote Originally Posted by kpWRX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ecbmxer View Post
    Separate thought relating to this. If you did a 6sp swap with OEM DCCD, could you somehow plug it into an STI cluster to get the pretty lights?
    This is actually my goal. To make an "08 STi.
    2008 had an STi, why make one when you could just trade for one? Cheaper that way. To each their own I guess. :

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

    Torqued Performance Stg. 2
    Invidia Catless Turbo Back Exhaust

  2. #12
    2000bhp Monster Turbospeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    2,203
    Thanked
    11 times
    Rep Power
    13

    Will an '08+ STi cluster work in an '08+ WRX ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Simple Machines View Post
    Why not just make friends with some one with an STi, borrow their cluster and turn the car on. Just don't drive it with theirs in.


    Quote Originally Posted by kpWRX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ecbmxer View Post
    Separate thought relating to this. If you did a 6sp swap with OEM DCCD, could you somehow plug it into an STI cluster to get the pretty lights?
    This is actually my goal. To make an "08 STi.
    2008 had an STi, why make one when you could just trade for one? Cheaper that way. To each their own I guess. :
    Not a sedan though
    TP stage1 - AEM CAI - Cobb CBE - Whiteline sways - Kartboy Endlinks - SS - GS MCB - GS HS - Whiteline Bushing Catalog - Group N Pitch Stop - Group N Trans mount - Rally Armour UR - Tint

  3. #13
    400bhp 3G STI kpWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    437
    Thanked
    9 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Will an '08+ STi cluster work in an '08+ WRX ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbospeed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simple Machines View Post
    Why not just make friends with some one with an STi, borrow their cluster and turn the car on. Just don't drive it with theirs in.


    Quote Originally Posted by kpWRX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ecbmxer View Post
    Separate thought relating to this. If you did a 6sp swap with OEM DCCD, could you somehow plug it into an STI cluster to get the pretty lights?
    This is actually my goal. To make an "08 STi.
    2008 had an STi, why make one when you could just trade for one? Cheaper that way. To each their own I guess. :
    Not a sedan though
    Exactly. I got my car for cheap. I enjoy making it different. The '08 WRX is the unloved step child and I enjoy making it different. I know I'm putting a lot of money into it, but I'm doing it wisely and I'm always looking for deals.

    My LOVE...



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.



    WARNING: The preceding statements are my opinion only.... Actual mileage may very.... Results not typical....

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WRXForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    150bhp 3G Impreza apexone4697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    oxnard, ca
    Posts
    182
    Thanked
    3 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Will an '08+ STi cluster work in an '08+ WRX ???

    I think i read online somewhere that a sti cluster will work in a wrx. The harness that connects both is the same i beleive. The only issue is that when the new cluster is plugged in, the car wont start because of the immobilizer. The guy that did it had to have the dealership reprogram something to get the new cluster to work with the car and get it to start. I cant remember, but i also think the mileage is stored in the cluster too, which means the mileage might be incorrect also. And the speedo will be slightly off too because the sti has 10 more on the readout. It wouold cost money to do the swap if yuo wanted it done right. It would bother me that my speedo was off, as well as the mileage. You could install a speedo healer to fix the speedometer, and send the cluster to get the mileage changed, but it would be more of a pain to get basically the same thing you have now.

  6. #15
    200bhp 3G WRX lcmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Granbury, TX
    Posts
    224
    Thanked
    1 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Will an '08+ STi cluster work in an '08+ WRX ???

    I'm wondering if you can unplug the mileage display and swap it to the new cluster. I know on my Camaro you could swap the odometers and it would read correct.
    '09 WRB Sedan
    Buy my stuff
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

  7. #16
    400bhp 3G STI kpWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    437
    Thanked
    9 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Will an '08+ STi cluster work in an '08+ WRX ???

    Quote Originally Posted by apexone4697 View Post
    I think i read online somewhere that a sti cluster will work in a wrx. The harness that connects both is the same i beleive. The only issue is that when the new cluster is plugged in, the car wont start because of the immobilizer. The guy that did it had to have the dealership reprogram something to get the new cluster to work with the car and get it to start. I cant remember, but i also think the mileage is stored in the cluster too, which means the mileage might be incorrect also. And the speedo will be slightly off too because the sti has 10 more on the readout. It wouold cost money to do the swap if yuo wanted it done right. It would bother me that my speedo was off, as well as the mileage. You could install a speedo healer to fix the speedometer, and send the cluster to get the mileage changed, but it would be more of a pain to get basically the same thing you have now.
    Thank you very much for that info. I will look into it and ask my dealer about the programing. My friend can program the correct mileage. My car only has a little over 24,000 miles on it. I'm getting an 2011 STi cluster. I also got the STi shifter trim and the STi hazard button and HVAC controls . I'm excited.

    My LOVE...



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.



    WARNING: The preceding statements are my opinion only.... Actual mileage may very.... Results not typical....

  8. #17
    400bhp 3G STI kpWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    437
    Thanked
    9 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Will an '08+ STi cluster work in an '08+ WRX ???

    Quote Originally Posted by lcmax View Post
    I'm wondering if you can unplug the mileage display and swap it to the new cluster. I know on my Camaro you could swap the odometers and it would read correct.
    I don't think so. I looked at the cluster when I install my SPT boost gauge and it seems as if it's all sealed.

    My LOVE...



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.



    WARNING: The preceding statements are my opinion only.... Actual mileage may very.... Results not typical....

  9. #18
    0bhp 3G Impreza ColeBerkenbile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Will an '08+ STi cluster work in an '08+ WRX ???

    Update?

  10. #19
    Super Moderator
    monkiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    washington, dc
    Posts
    5,411
    Thanked
    67 times
    Rep Power
    31

    Re: Will an '08+ STi cluster work in an '08+ WRX ???

    the mileage display is a small pixel board. it is not hot-swappable and does not hold any data. the mileage is not "transferable" by switching clusters.

    edit: as evidenced by the cluster being out and showing mileage, the mileage seems to be stored outside of the ECU/BIU and on the "brain board" as some call it on the cluster. i'll see about getting mine apart again and determining if the display is also a microprocessor of sorts. perhaps, there is more to this. i think most have always thought the mileage count was stored in the ECU.

    the clusters come apart easily:







    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

  11. #20
    Super Moderator
    monkiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    washington, dc
    Posts
    5,411
    Thanked
    67 times
    Rep Power
    31

    Re: Will an '08+ STi cluster work in an '08+ WRX ???

    kpwrx - it's been a while since you posted you were getting the 11MY cluster...did it arrive yet?

    i have one arriving within a week with a bunch of other 08 STI drivetrain parts for my r180/5x100 hybrid axles. i'll be sure to post up but wanted to see if you had any update with your attempt.

    thanks!

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Blank for SMY Cluster
    By ecbmxer in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 03:20 PM
  2. The gauge cluster
    By ScubyWRX in forum 3G WRX Interior
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 08:57 PM
  3. 08+ Sti cluster
    By LRN2WRX in forum Anything Under the Sun!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-18-2010, 07:24 PM
  4. 08 WRX cluster in 09 2.5i sedan
    By eurolatin336 in forum 3G WRX Interior
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-13-2009, 12:23 PM

Search tags for this page

08 sti gauge cluster swap

,

08 wrx swap sti cluster

,
09 impreza gauge cluster swap
,

2008 sti gauge cluster swap

,

2012 sti cluster in wrx

,

2012 sti gauge cluster in wrx

,
gr sti cluster swap into gr wrx
,

how to install 08 up sti gauge cluster on wrx

,

putting 08 sti dash cluster in wrx

,
sti cluster swap in 2011 wrx
,
will sti cluster work in wrx
,
wrx after market cluster build
Click on a term to search for related topics.