Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beautiful '06 is at 190k miles and overheating.
It started with the gauge being sporadic and going up quickly and then back down within two minutes. This happened twice while driving long distances.
Next, I drove my car 30 minutes, parked it for an hour, and then got back in and drove it 20 minutes before the engine all of a sudden read super super hot.
When I took it into my mechanic, he bled the system (since I recently had my coolant flushed with them) and they ran it for an hour without recreating the problem. On the ride home, it overheated again.
I took it in AGAIN. They ran it for four hours (at least they replace the fuel) and again couldn't recreate the problem. It's important to note that at this time there is no physical signs or smells emanating from the car to indicate it overheating. Just the gauge.
The next morning, on a particularly cool morning, my engine read hot within 10 minutes of leaving my place. In fears of blowing my head gasket, I pulled over immediately. I turned off my engine. Within five minutes, I noticed steam coming out from under my hood. There was no steam or vapor when I turned off my car minutes earlier.
After towing it to the shop, they replaced the thermostat, water pump and timing belt (since they were in there).
Driving it home, it had no issues. The next day, nothing. For two weeks I drove it for no problems. She ran like the brilliantly built machine that she is.
Then. The gauge went up again. To about half way between normal and hot, and briefly, then right back down. Just like that first couple of times.
The next morning, I decided to get bagels for my office. Ya know, those fresh, delicious, just baked, soft, wait-outside-'til-they-turn-the-OPEN-sign-on kind-of-bagel. So that's exactly what I did. I drove 10 minutes, waited in my car for 5, was inside the store for 5 (they had a lot of variety) and got back into my car. I was smelling those aromatic garlic ones on top of the bag when I looked down and realized that my gauge was reading hotter than I've ever seen it run before.
I immediately pulled over. I opened my hood. I didn't look different other than a little bit of coolant splashed around.
I waited 20 minutes, put water in my reservoir and drove to work. The entire time my gauge would go up... then down. UP..... then down. It did this for 30 minutes., never reading hot long enough to prompt me to pull over. As soon as I saw it go up, it would go right back down.
The way home, it ran beautifully, just like she should.
The next morning, she did it again, only 25 minutes into my commute.
Took it to the shop for the day, and she came back, again, with a clean bill of health.
BUT drove it home, and the gauges started acted all crazy again. So, I parked her. She's a sad Subi.

So, in summary..... they replaced the thermostat, the water pump and the timing belt. They bled the system, checked compression, gaskets, fuses, fans, hoses (replaced three). I don't know what is left to replace. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Any.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Someone in here has to have some experience with this

·
Registered
250 Posts
Where did you get the coolant bled? There may be a specific procedure for your year as there is for mine and you may still have air in the system. Especially with the gage being sporadic that says there's a sign of air trapped. Also double check and make sure there are no holes in any coolant lines. Even the smallest will let air through. Did they do a leakdown test too to see if coolant leaks out or in anywhrre?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had the same problem. I have exactly the same model. It happens because of improper bleeding.
Shortly, fill every tank in the cooling tank up to their limit, and bleed the system from the radiator top exit (on the left upper corner of the radiator when you look at the vehicle from front) by slowly loosening the hose from its plug until you hear some air begin to escape. Wait (patiently) until it totally diminishes and only water comes out. Then make a guess about how much water did come out during thee process and add about the same volume to the COOLANT EXPANSION tank. I'm 99% sure there was nothing wrong with your pump, belt, etc. These engines are very sensitive to air gaps. If you can find a helper who will rev the engine up a bit a few times every few seconds, whole process will be much shorter. Hope this helps. Cheers from Turkey.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts