Subaru WRX Forums banner

Fenders flares on my GH WRX

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this thread on iwsti talking about fender flares.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-exterior/187465-anyone-looking-pocket-style-fender-flares.html

Another nice picture

Though they were awesome, because I'm also a huge Datsun 240Z fan and love the VG flares.

A horrible install for sure, but you get they idea....

Would anybody rock a set of these?
Would anyone by interested in having some made?'
Has anyone tried adapting a set to their 3rd Gen WRX?

It would be pretty damn sweet to run a set of 265+ or bigger tires.

HT Auto's started a thread over on NASIOC asking the Subaru community what they would like to have made. I recommended making fender flares for the GH chassis. If interested hit the thread and light them up. If I am the only cat in this world that wants a set, I'm outta luck. But, if 30+ folks wanted a set...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2253025

·
Registered
217 Posts
this could be just what the 08-10 wrx needs to get the mean appearance on par with the mean performance. i'd love to see this come out

·
Registered
490 Posts
i think our 08-10's would look cleaner with pulled fenders versus these... its hard to make fender flares look good without lots n lots of time/money but i would also love to see this done cleanly.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
um, yeah.

i started a fender flare thread on here a bit ago with minimal interest. i have an excellent subaru body shop that is willing to do the work and we looked at adaptation of the s13/s14 flares to this car and it was rough, especially in the rear.

i also talked to a few manufacturers and they weren't interested in seeing how limited 5x100 wide wheel fitment is available especially in a size that would put these to use. this thereby further limits the small interest that was out there.

so, i resorted to custom fabrication as the means of getting it done in the future which is fine with me. one-off, custom, and/or rare has always been more fun and of interest to me, anyways. just unfortunate it can cost most people a lot more.

definitely keep us in the loop if ht-autos picks it up. thanks for posting!

·
Registered
490 Posts
yup i got tired of waiting for a nice rear diffuser for the hatches so i made my own out of a voltex replica lol

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I'd have to see how it looks before signing up for some. That being said, the second car down is Forman's track car that should be done some day :D

·
Registered
900 Posts
Personally, I don't think the particular style in the OP would work well with the narrow body. I think they'd seem totally out of place.
The car is just so 'slab sided' I think it would be difficult to find a flare design that would look good. But if there is one out there, that'd be pretty neat :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
i could see this working if lets say someone wanted to do the 11 front end conversion on the 08-10 sedans and using these flares in the rear to make it fit a lil bit better but somehow mold em in so they dont look so off..... just a thought though

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
um, yeah.

i started a fender flare thread on here a bit ago with minimal interest. i have an excellent subaru body shop that is willing to do the work and we looked at adaptation of the s13/s14 flares to this car and it was rough, especially in the rear.

i also talked to a few manufacturers and they weren't interested in seeing how limited 5x100 wide wheel fitment is available especially in a size that would put these to use. this thereby further limits the small interest that was out there.

so, i resorted to custom fabrication as the means of getting it done in the future which is fine with me. one-off, custom, and/or rare has always been more fun and of interest to me, anyways. just unfortunate it can cost most people a lot more.

definitely keep us in the loop if ht-autos picks it up. thanks for posting!
Yeah there is a few problems with doing this.
First is finding a company to invest in making them. Creating the molds, prototyping, what to charge per set (especially for limited production pieces)
Second is the installation on the car itself. You have to cut the cars fender wells. Rework the liner, add bracing...etc. Not for the faint of heart. Probably kill the resale value of the vehicle as well.
Personally, I don't think the particular style in the OP would work well with the narrow body. I think they'd seem totally out of place.
The car is just so 'slab sided' I think it would be difficult to find a flare design that would look good. But if there is one out there, that'd be pretty neat :)
I agree, just slapping a flare on the side would look a bit odd. What I'd like to see is an extension of the existing fender, pushed and flared outward 2 inches. It would have the same unique lines as the GH, just pushed and flared. I'll try a crappy shoop later if I have time.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts