Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wanting to tell a story about how good the 08 handles. I was driving home after work today going about 60-65mph. I was about a car or two behind a truck in the left lane. The highway was going from 4to2 lanes about half mile ahead so was ready to slow but the truck was not braking so I was just holding around 60, my lane was not merging or being merged into by other lanes. When all of a sudden the truck slams into the back of the car in front of it which was at a dead stop like most of the time here during rush hour. So I some how reach fast enough to swerve left and I do not hit anything the car behind me not so lucky. Looked like about 8-10 cars involved from what I saw but I kept going like the awful person I am and got home and smoked a bowl. It seemed like a few people may question the 08's handling but from what I have experienced it is A-OK. Just wanted to tell people the story.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I had work so no smoke till evening. I am not a worthless pothead just a pothead.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I have no mods yet. I know it seems to handle like a cow at times but it pulled out some F1 shit today. I ordered the cobb stage 1 package yesterday, and I have the STi pink. I am going to install the sways front and rear end links and springs all at the same time. I plan to do a lot to my suspension then brakes and after that engine mods. So no mods yet but handled good today.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I am just wanting to tell a story about how good the 08 handles. I was driving home after work today going about 60-65mph. I was about a car or two behind a truck in the left lane. The highway was going from 4to2 lanes about half mile ahead so was ready to slow but the truck was not braking so I was just holding around 60, my lane was not merging or being merged into by other lanes. When all of a sudden the truck slams into the back of the car in front of it which was at a dead stop like most of the time here during rush hour. So I some how reach fast enough to swerve left and I do not hit anything the car behind me not so lucky. Looked like about 8-10 cars involved from what I saw but I kept going like the awful person I am and got home and smoked a bowl. It seemed like a few people may question the 08's handling but from what I have experienced it is A-OK. Just wanted to tell people the story.
holy crap dude.

was that in OKC?!?!?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Traffic sucks.......way so shift with the quickness sysyphus300021!! Very nice!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it was in okc. Right before 23rd street on the highway going north through downtown.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You know, I've been hearing about "body roll" with this car from all kinds of places - from this board, professional (I take it) drivers on YouTube reviews, etc etc

But so far in my experience, and remember I do not claim to be Joe Pro Driver, I have not really noticed it. Sure, if I jerk the steering wheel in either direction really hard and suddenly, I can feel body roll, but I have found the car as it is - stock - to handle quite well, all things considered. Are people talking about something like that slalom cone test?? I mean, how often do you drive like that??

I concentrate on being as smooth and calm as I can at all times, especially when I am trying to find the limits of the car.

It does "tip" into hard and fast corners, but I've found it to hold quite stable and sticky... Maybe I don't have enough experience in cars that do handle properly. What I mean is I have heard that MR2's handle well - and I found the ones I drove did - but what they were especially good for was abrupt, go cart style driving I thought.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Rex does roll, but it stops at a point while squatting. I have not experienced a single example of lack of control during the roll/squat attitude. I just know the main complaints about this car is: and I quote.. "The suspension too soft compared to its predecessor", and: "It is toooo quiet" which leads to: " I find myself going too fast"

So I got the pinks, and I'm waiting for the sedan's cat-back. I'm really looking forward to see how it handles and sounds after I install everything.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya I agree the suspension is soft. I have not read any other stories telling of the car handling well. I was surprised that the car handled so well from all I have read, so just wanting to let people know you are ok if the car in front of you slams into a car in-front of it.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
The main thing that I have noticed is the pitching, that is the most obnoxious when felt in combination with the roll. The roll is ok, a bit unsettling, but you can drive through it easily enough and the car holds it's grip pretty well (given the tires). My first move is to install some whiteline sways and endlinks. Next step is springs. I expect pretty good results. The car doesn't handle TERRIBLY, but it still doesn't have as much composure as I would like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts