Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jus gotten my 08 STI less than a week. I have tried twice recently using the S# mode (ONLY ON SPORTS SHARP MODE) from stationary. Everytime when I move off frm 1st gear on this mode. The RPM will suddenly shot up to 5000 to 6000 and which I will have a 'holdback' feel and I can't move much at all. This will follow by a VERY strong burning smell from the engine area (I dunno where it actually came from)

Has anyone got this car with a smilar prob I'm facing?

Could it be me, hardware or the software probs?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I jus gotten my 08 STI less than a week. I have tried twice recently using the S# mode (ONLY ON SPORTS SHARP MODE) from stationary. Everytime when I move off frm 1st gear on this mode. The RPM will suddenly shot up to 5000 to 6000 and which I will have a 'holdback' feel and I can't move much at all. This will follow by a VERY strong burning smell from the engine area (I dunno where it actually came from)

Has anyone got this car with a smilar prob I'm facing?

Could it be me, hardware or the software probs?
If your car is stock bring it back. Duplicate the problem and have it diagnosed.
S# only adjusts throttle response unless for some reason it is adjusting throttle position as an error. The burning smell is probably due to the fact that your engine has not been broken in and you could be damaging it.
However, your problem is also similar to a clutch engagement problem and could be the burning smell you are experiencing. The clutch slipping will cause the rpms to rise rapidly like that, and if the clutch is burned enough, will not engage effectively hence the bog feeling.
Clutch slippage could be due to you leaving it slightly disenged at the initial take-off from first, getting used to the S# setting over rev and the clutch not fully engaged, or because you still have not broken in the clutch as well.
Might also be a clutch defect.

Hope this helps you. Don't use S# until you have it figured out
Good Luck

·
Registered
519 Posts
I agree that it sounds more like a clutch problem than anything else. With sharp rise in RPM with little to no movement and a burning smell.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I suspect this might have got to do with the hill assist.

You might have let the clutch slip for abit before the hill assist is fully disengaged.

And once it fully disengages the engine faces no resistance and hence the rapid climb in RPM.

Try letting your hill assist fully disengage before you start applying more throttle.

A few hundred km and you will get used to the feature.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts