Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and i were having an argument over the weekend whether the 08 WRX Hatch, is actually a hatch or a wagon. The best concession he would give me is that its a 'sports wagon'. Can someone please back me up and explain why it is considered a hatch and not a wagon?!?!

Cheers

·
Registered
382 Posts
The car is 100% a hatchback, there is no question.
Hatchback vehicles are functionally similar to station wagons (which are intended to carry large volumes), but distinguished by a (much) smaller load area. The typical hatchback roof rakes down steeply behind the C-Pillar, resulting in very little car length behind the rear wheels and thus no room for a side window over the load area.
Further, Subaru's documentation says "hatchback" as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
To me this car is definitely a hatch. I did a little search on wikipedia and found this...

Most station wagons are modified sedan-type car bodies, having the main interior area extended to the near-vertical rear window over what would otherwise be the enclosed area of the sedan version. A hatchback car, although meeting a similar description, would not enjoy the full height of the passenger cabin all the way to the back; the rear glass of a hatchback being sloped further from vertical, and the hatch tending not to reach fully to the rear bumper, as it commonly would in a station wagon. Station wagons also have side windows over the cargo area, whereas some hatchbacks have thick "C" pillars and no cargo area windows. Two exceptions to this rule include Rambler station wagons (1952 – 1962) on which the roof line subtly dipped down over the cargo area, and GM's Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser (1964 – 1972) and Buick Sportwagon (1964 – 1970) on which the rear roof section was slightly elevated and combined with four skylights; the "sportwagon" name has been popularised again in recent years by some manufacturers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Station_wagon

·
Registered
752 Posts
i would rather call it a Hatch. But i like telling people "You just got beat by a wagon", lol.

·
Registered
549 Posts
3 door = hatch
5 door = wagon

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
3 door = hatch
5 door = wagon
A GTI 5doors is not a wagon..
same for a toyota yaris 5 doors... etc etc...

this is 3 doors and its not a hatch...

·
Registered
549 Posts
A GTI 5doors is not a wagon..
same for a toyota yaris 5 doors... etc etc...

this is 3 doors and its not a hatch...

[/quote]

oh no!! i got owned!! lol oh wells...

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
if anything it's a hatch ("sport wagon") because it isn't very long -- the rear overhang is like 10 inches

here's a good example:

compare the legacy wagon (huge overhang, long wheelbase) to the wrx "sport wagon" hatchback (short)

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
if anything it's a hatch ("sport wagon") because it isn't very long -- the rear overhang is like 10 inches

here's a good example:

compare the legacy wagon (huge overhang, long wheelbase) to the wrx "sport wagon" hatchback (short)
yuup! Such cars as the old Civic hatch, xA, MAzda3, Volvo C30, Saturn Astra, Versa, Fit, Yaris, all hatch backs..... if anything SUV and cross overs are more like tall wagons.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I was looking to see if the WRC allowed "wagons" to compete. If not...there's your answer! I had an '03 WRX wagon, the '08 is a wagon!

·
Registered
344 Posts
SOA lists the models as "Sedan" and "Hatch" :p

·
Registered
77 Posts
Some cars are clearly one or the other. Some are borderline. Key variables that others have noted: slope of the rear window and length of the rear overhang.

Add them together, and I think that the best way to tell is the length of the top edge of the rearmost side window. If there's much length to that edge, it's a wagon. If there's no length--the window is a triangle--then the car is a hatch.

For what it's worth, on my site I classified the old five-door as a wagon, and the new one as a hatch. (But I had to check to be sure.)

·
Registered
223 Posts
The manufacturer can call the vehicle whatever they want to call it. Subaru just calls it the "WRX 5-Door." Personally, I would call it and classify it as a hatchback because the cargo area is much smaller than a wagon. Hatch = sport, wagon = utility.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
normally wouldn't a wagon be a "extended" sedan version and the hatch a model on it's own. this said if I recall corectely the sedan is only available in America wich means I do not think the developped the hatch version from the sedan mor the other way 'round

1 - 20 of 20 Posts