Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got told today that Subaru will void the warranty to any part connected to the exaust system, ie. the turbo and ENGINE!! .. :O ... is this true or do you just put the catback on and not say boo about it and just bring it in as usual? .. cause that a big void

·
Registered
14 Posts
I asked my vendor (owner of the dealer) and he told me that there is no problem with the warranty with an axle-back installation. Anything going further than that to the cat or turbo, it will void part of warranty. Like if you have a turbo-back and you go the the dealer with a dashlight on or a engine trouble ... he might not cover you on that. But if you go for a suspension or whatever not related to the turbo-back, there shouldn't be any problems. But that's my own experience with MY dealer. Other dealers might think differently !

Just to be sure of what part you're talking about, here is a picture of WRX exhaust system. (Axle-back is installed only for louder sound and turbo-back is for sound and performance)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see what i was told at the shop i whent to (exhaust shop) that there were catback's and catback's with downpipes... catbacks were beyond the downpipe... maybe thats changed? .. reguardless he must have meant just the tail workings of the exhaust system. i was also told that a system beyond the catalytic converter would still give a very marginal performance boost, due to less exaust restriction? .. any of this make sence?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thats a very nice picture! If you don't mind i'll use that picture and create another topic titled "exhaust system"

anyway, its better if you confirm it with ur local dealer.

·
Registered
421 Posts
see what i was told at the shop i whent to (exhaust shop) that there were catback's and catback's with downpipes... catbacks were beyond the downpipe... maybe thats changed? .. reguardless he must have meant just the tail workings of the exhaust system. i was also told that a system beyond the catalytic converter would still give a very marginal performance boost, due to less exaust restriction? .. any of this make sence?
Yes, removing the cat converter will allow ur turbo to boost up faster and earlier. That will give u considerable improvements.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so if all im looking for is a the sound.. no performance increas , wont there be mufflers only that are made to fit the subaru... surly i can change my muffler to a magnaflow or somethign when they develope one?

·
Registered
752 Posts
ok so if all im looking for is a the sound.. no performance increas , wont there be mufflers only that are made to fit the subaru... surly i can change my muffler to a magnaflow or somethign when they develope one?
you should be able to put on whatever muffler you want. the exhaust shop can cut the tip off, modify it, and weld it back on to fit right.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
still... id rather one made for it so its easily removable if i have to... you never know.. there already going to be pissy with me having a US WRX in Canada... :p ... saved a ton

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so i talked to the guys down at "unlimited performance and exhaust" and they told me that if i asked the dealership to put it in writing they wouldnt be able to because there not allowed to, they cant void your warranty unless you start to affect the fuel system and sensors.... the catback is beyond the 02 sensor and any pressure change is going to be corrected by the computer witch is smarter than they are.. so it will give a small HP boost simply because the exhaust is leaving the system at a much faster rate ... and it will sound really cool too :p ... so what do you guys think... that sound about right?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I agree with the_crazy_canadian about the warranty issues. Plus, it doesn't cause any problems to the car. When you start messing with the tuning of the car then you start to have some serious problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts