Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
man these people are idiots who put this together lets put a supercar against a wrx doesn't make sense why the would even do this other than just shits n giggles

·
Registered
537 Posts
man these people are idiots who put this together lets put a supercar against a wrx doesn't make sense why the would even do this other than just shits n giggles
I agree but the first thing said in the video was "Too give you an idea on how insanely fast some of these cars are" and then later on it says that the WRX is no slouch.
So I guess it your supposed to be like: Well here is a WRX pretty fast car and then here is a supper car Ford GT1000. As fast as the WRX is the Ford GT1000 is that much faster.

I think the video would have made more sense if there was a third car say a Yaris. Then at the finish line you would get the GT, then the WRX then the yaris. So the conclusion would be that the sporty WRX is X seconds faster the a regular car (the yaris) and the GT1000 is is just that much faster then the WRX. Kind of like saying its on another level.
Either way I didn't need a video to know that much.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I agree w/ Zombie.... Top Gear did something similar in the 90's where they pitted a "really fast car", a R33 GT-R against a McLaren F1.

·
Registered
345 Posts
someone needs to do it yaris vs wrx i would be very interested in seeing that.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they were saying the WRX is a fast car... yet the GT makes it look like it's slower than a slug.

they should have matched the GT against the STi and maybe a corvette

interestingly: there was a ford GT (replica with a twin-turbo'd cobra engine) at the autox this weekend. one of the guys who is in charge has a 2001 2.5 RS and was keeping up with him no problem ;)

so it isn't ALL about sheer power.

·
Registered
706 Posts
WHY would anyone do that? Make it interesting atleast throw some turns in the mix

·
Registered
577 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
again, the point is to show that even against a decent car like the WRX, the GT makes it look slow... it was going over 200mph

·
Registered
282 Posts
Another point is that it took the GT a mile to get over 200 mph. There are MANY "Super Cars" (which the GT is classd as) that can get 200 faster than that. I wonder what the difference was in the 1/4 mile.

Still, their matching up 700 HP against 230, who'd expect it to be a close race?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Another point is that it took the GT a mile to get over 200 mph. There are MANY "Super Cars" (which the GT is classd as) that can get 200 faster than that. I wonder what the difference was in the 1/4 mile.

Still, their matching up 700 HP against 230, who'd expect it to be a close race?
I was still rooting for the WRX.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
l0l I like the video WOW think of it on the bright side, we are only 14.sec slower on the 1 mile drag race but we cost like 300 000$ less ;D

·
Registered
16 Posts
My wife has a Yaris and I drive it on and off, when my tank is empty on the WRX, its not too fun or stimulating to drive...You have to wring it out to 5000 rpm to get anything out of it, i think it does the quarter mile in 20+ seconds, and I dont like taking it above 100mph...the noises and vibrations aren't fun, but then again it gets 40+ mpg, and goes over 400 miles on a full tank.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
well I guess not all cars are made to be awsomely fast, depends on budgets and needs, I'd guess that when toyota built the yaris they weren't trying to make a drag car out of it, I do remember seeing a superhcarged echo hatchback a few years ago it made quite a run on the 1/4 millle, can't remember the time but it was dang fast for a shoe box ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not sure if that is a fair statement. I wouldn't bet that there are very few "Super Cars" which are faster. Road and Track did a 0-200mph shootout of some very well known super cars. Here is the artice: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=34&article_id=5675

In the article, each car was challenged to get to 200 mph and they had 2 miles to get there. The car which took the minimum distance to achieve this, won. If they couldn't get there in 2 miles, they were disqualified. In the table of results, they show the speeds of the cars at the 1 mile mark. Here are the results:

1.) Bugatti Veyron - 25.9s @ 204.4mph
2.) Hennessey Viper- 26.0s @ 220.9mph
3.) Lingenfelter Corvette - 27.8s @ 203.0mph
4.) Porsche RufRt12 - 28.1s @ 187.5 mph
5.) Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren- 28.4s @ 181.2mph
6.) Lamborghini Murcielago - 30.3s @ 171.6 mph

The Viper ended up winning the race to 200 (the competition was the minimum distance required to 200) although the 1 mile times were different. It turned in a 100-200mph time of around 13 seconds while the Veyron took 18 seconds. The Lambo and the McLaren couldn't hit 200 mph in 2 miles. They were both disqualified.

As you can see, the GT put in a 218mph 1 mile speed. It's right in there with the Hennessey Viper.

I do agree that the comparison is ridiculous and that there should be another car in there to show how quick the WRX really is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts