Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Warning lots of noob info right here...now that I own the Miata and have been building a kit, I now know that I was mis-informed about a lot of things I thought initially)

Ok well as many of you may already know.. I sold the Wrx :'( . While this is obviously upsetting, at the same time it's very exciting because it helped me flip the page and start a new chapter in this little thing called life. I was able to purchase a brand new house with my fiancee, which we will be closing on it in late Sept, or early October. I plan to pick up a lease which I will get me back and forth to work from now on. I want to start tucking $$ away to pick something up in the >$3000 range in probably around 2 years, and I have been doing a lot of research on what the best bang for the buck would be.. I think what I would like to do for my "toy" car is buy a 1st gen Miata. Not only are they fun in stock form, but they have tons of potential. These cars respond amazing to boost, which would be my ultimate goal in the long run . Turbo kits are fairly cheap for these cars (Garrett turbo kit is >$2000) **Edit ---> Lol I wish I could piece a turbo set-up together for under 2K... I now realize I am on my way to dumping 8K into the miata between the turbo, diff, etc...it is what it is haha*** , and the stock block can run forever on 6-9lbs of boost. I know what your thinking.... only 6-9lbs?!?!?! My Wrx makes 12 stock! Well yes they do but remember... power to weight! A 150hp boosted Miata will run right next to a 08 wrx possibly even an 09 (Errrr at least that's what I've gathered from my research). But if I decide I want even more power... I could build the block and up the boost even more, which I will probably end up doing. So basically what i'm getting at is... What do you all think about the Miata idea? I have also been tossing around the idea of an older impreza and doing a wrx swap, but something is driving me towards a RWD car. And not only that, a wrx swap is going to be a lot more money. I love AWD but I really want a change.

And I want to be able to do this...

And possibly make it look something like this.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
that sounds like a fun project.
i think they also make big v8 kits for miatas.
get a junk motor and rebuild that for power.
on the speed channel, tv show gearz, he took an old miata and put a v8 kit in it.
it was something else and he just finished it not that long ago.

http://staceydavid.com/projects/banshee

go to that site and it has a bunch of the videos that he did while working on that miata.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that sounds like a fun project.
i think they also make big v8 kits for miatas.
get a junk motor and rebuild that for power.
on the speed channel, tv show gearz, he took an old miata and put a v8 kit in it.
it was something else and he just finished it not that long ago.

http://staceydavid.com/projects/banshee

go to that site and it has a bunch of the videos that he did while working on that miata.
Yeah I thought about the V8 project too but I really wanna stick with the boosted 4banger... Keep it light and nimble and it should still sip gas when i'm out of boost haha

so this means no more gauge pods?
Still might make one more batch but after that.. probably not

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dude, you should totally make it an autox beast. and walk all over STIs with that go-kart!
Yeah I would definitely autoX it! I really wish I could afford to pick one up now and start toying with it but unfortunately It wont be for another year+ :-\

Looking back now I wish I would have just got a loan for like 5K from a bank and bought a used miata... it could have been 300hp beast with all the money I dumped into payments on the wrx and not owed me a dime! Live and you learn though eh? Lol

·
Registered
957 Posts
yeah, for like 8-10k you can have a very nimble and quick miata rofl. the car goes for like a bag of skittles and a half, add turbo kit tires rims and coilovers / sways and youre set!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Don't do the V8...I've seen a few on course and they are way front heavy. It did not do very well other than having straightline power.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get like a late 80s rx7 and put a v8 in that

Sent from my spaceship from the far side of the universe
Haha I don't think I'm going the v8 route no matter what I get. I love the Turbo 4bangers!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm gonna feel like an old dude going through a mid-life crisis if I drive it stock.. hahaha It will be worth it when i'm done with the project though!

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I'm gonna feel like an old dude going through a mid-life crisis if I drive it stock.. hahaha It will be worth it when i'm done with the project though!
I'm pretty sure if you DO drive it stock, you lose all your hair and you turn into a 60 year old accountant.

·
Registered
418 Posts
u broke ur car?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok I think im changing my mind and I might go with an E30 Bmw....

Found a few 5spd's in my area anywhere from $1000 - $2500.... friggin cheap and so much potential to be sexy!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Get a Datsun 510!

1 - 20 of 109 Posts