Subaru WRX Forums banner

41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
i think theres a hardtop like the s2k that you can find. personlly thats what i would go with.
Yup there is. I will be looking for one in the future but they are like 500-1000 range and that's more than I can drop right now haha

·
Registered
408 Posts
hahaha congrats on the miata! i bought one as a daily to drive for work (and get mileage!) then that went out the window and its my toy car now! my gf has had one a while and its super easy to work on so i figured what the hell. hands down the miata is 1000x better car than the wrx. dont get me wrong, the subaru is great, but the miata is better on fuel, better handling, easier to work on, cheaper to maintain, (with a hardtop) better looking, and waaaaay more fun on the track. ** all of that is if you can get over the fact that it is definitely associated w/ chicks, creepy mild aged dudes that cant afford a "real" mid life crisis car, and gays (not saying that in a derogatory way, its just the stereotype).

08subiewrx -- re: the stuttering when cold, do yourself a favor and change out your plug wires for some good ones. seems to be a very common miata issue both mine and the gf's has got a bit stuttery/choppy and plug wires fixed it right up! even if thats not your issue, its a 2 minute cheap maintenance project.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
hahaha congrats on the miata! i bought one as a daily to drive for work (and get mileage!) then that went out the window and its my toy car now! my gf has had one a while and its super easy to work on so i figured what the hell. hands down the miata is 1000x better car than the wrx. dont get me wrong, the subaru is great, but the miata is better on fuel, better handling, easier to work on, cheaper to maintain, (with a hardtop) better looking, and waaaaay more fun on the track. ** all of that is if you can get over the fact that it is definitely associated w/ chicks, creepy mild aged dudes that cant afford a "real" mid life crisis car, and gays (not saying that in a derogatory way, its just the stereotype).

08subiewrx -- re: the stuttering when cold, do yourself a favor and change out your plug wires for some good ones. seems to be a very common miata issue both mine and the gf's has got a bit stuttery/choppy and plug wires fixed it right up! even if thats not your issue, its a 2 minute cheap maintenance project.
That's awesome man!!! Get up some pics when you get a chance! I know exactly what you mean about the Miata being a better car. The old NA just has such a raw feeling to it. I love the fact that mine is so simple... manual everything. Only thing power is the steering hahaha. It's definitely a blast to drive! I did plugs/wires the first day I had it in the shop. Put new valve cover gasket on also cause that was leaking. So far I have mostly been doing a lot of cleaning. I'm trying to make it smell like a new car again. You wouldn't believe how much gunk got packed into every crack and crevice of this car! I removed the driver seat yesterday to get everything from under and behind there. Shampooed the carpet. Will probably get to the passenger side next weekend.

I need to throw a new clutch/bearings in it. TOB has a pretty bad chirp.

Also it has been randomly stalling a few times while driving. I kept my eye on the tach this morning all the way to work... I noticed that when braking hard coming to a red light, the RPM's drop to like 200 and then come back up. I have a feeling it's a vacuum leak and the idle is dropping when the brake booster is taking up all the vacuum lol. Either that or it's the fuel pump and maybe it's a wire cutting fuel when the car is stopping hard... Who knows but i'm putting a walbro pump in it either way just to ease my mind!

·
Registered
408 Posts
man sounds like in another week or two it will be in showroom condition! I've got a 99, and my gf has a 91. the 99 is a better "car" the 91 is a better "miata" haha. sounds stupid, but its true! i love both of them, but the torsen diff in the 99 is great!

fuel pump is stupid easy, hopefully that helps. clutch isn't too hard. i did mine on my back in my driveway... not pleasant! grab a flyin' miata flywheel while your in there. 10.3lbs for like 300$ish. revs like crazy and feels like it pulls harder although I'm sure thats all in my head!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
man sounds like in another week or two it will be in showroom condition! I've got a 99, and my gf has a 91. the 99 is a better "car" the 91 is a better "miata" haha. sounds stupid, but its true! i love both of them, but the torsen diff in the 99 is great!

fuel pump is stupid easy, hopefully that helps. clutch isn't too hard. i did mine on my back in my driveway... not pleasant! grab a flyin' miata flywheel while your in there. 10.3lbs for like 300$ish. revs like crazy and feels like it pulls harder although I'm sure thats all in my head!
The LSD is a lot of fun in the rain but I'm going to need new tires before I know it hahaha

Doubt I'll drop $300 on the Flywheel right now. Have too much other stuff I want to do first. I really want to do the Flyin Miata turbo kit in the future so i'll probably do a bigger clutch/ upgraded flywheel at that time!

The fuel pump is so easy to get to, it's awesome! Lol

I might grab one of those vacuum line kits while I'm at it and start replacing vacuum lines. It was sitting for so long I wouldn't be surprised if they are all dry rotted!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Getting more and more done on this thing every day!

Swapped rusty metal from water leak with some new metal I bought from a guy on Craigslist

Before:

After:

Have around 20 hours of detailing and cleaning into it so far the last 3 weeks (Also has some Sheabutter lovin'... He helped me out with his orbital buffing skills Lol)

Couple Pics (Taken with my Asus Transformer Prime Tablet, so not the best pics)

Sanded and painted the wiper arms.

Replaced shattered radio surround bezel (I broke it when installing my head unit

More pics later.... I also detailed the hell out of the engine compartment Lol

·
Registered
777 Posts
Since you grabbed a miata check this out: http://exomotive.com/exocet/

I stumbled on this site one day and it made me want a miata even more.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Since you grabbed a miata check this out: http://exomotive.com/exocet/

I stumbled on this site one day and it made me want a miata even more.

Omg... once I dedicate mine to my weekend/track car I will definitely think about doing this. It's so light as it is, I could only imagine it with this kit!!! hahaha Probably feels way quicker with all that weight loss!!!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Project turbo Miata is under way!!! Talked to the future wifey and went over some stuff about cars... The old plan was that she keeps her current 09' Corolla S and I was going to buy a new/slightly used Wrx...She really really really wants a new car, so I told her that if she gives me the Corolla to DD and lets me keep/build the Miata.... she can get her new car now. Welp, she went for it! Matter of fact... she was stoked about it! And shit, so am I!!! I have always wanted to do a turbo project that I build from scratch, so here's my big chance! I am starting my parts buying after the new year. I have so much to read up on, it's not even funny! I decided on a T25 turbo, from an s15 ---> http://www.fredbeansparts.com/s15-spec-r-turbo.html

Getting the turbo manifold/Downpipe from a guy who does fabricating in his spare time... kinda like me with the pods

Of course I also had to make a single gauge pod for my car hahaha... running the other gauges in a ddmworks radio install kit with gauge cut-outs ---> DDMWorks Miata Radio Surrounds

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Parts collecting has started!!!

ISIS T25/T28

Intercooler Piping

Evo Intercooler (Freebie from a friend)

Also grabbed a Voodoo shift knob... Looks and feels nice

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Been busy collecting a few parts and knocking out the last of my maintenance! Manifold/ Downpipe is ordered and should be at my doorstep between mid-April and early May. After that all I need is my exhaust, Megasquirt ECU, and some 725cc injectors from the folks at InjectorDynamics! Also need a few other small things like a bov & gauges but I will be picking that stuff up in between the bigger ticket items ! Enjoy some pictarzzz

Wrinkle coated VC while I was doing my TB/WP

Tial 38mm EWG... because i'm a bauce

IWG Bracket and Hallman MBC

·
Registered
302 Posts
Really excited to see this all put together! MOAR

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I can't buy parts fast enough!!! Have a nice business opportunity with my pods that could happen, which could lead to this being put together faster than expected... I'm getting antsy lol

·
Registered
404 Posts
This...is...filthy...zomg...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Hahaha thanks... I'm getting excited because my manifold and downpipe should be here mid-late April... Possibly longer if he under-estimated the delivery time.

41 - 60 of 109 Posts