Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read this over @ Nasioc.. not sure if it was posted already though

Just thought I would share the procedure with all the people including myself that hate this feature.
Stop your vehicle in a flat area, apply parking brake and turn engine off.
Restart engine.
Press VDC button and hold until disabled.Do not take finger off the button.
The light will go yellow, green and it will turn off.
Within 5 seconds of of VDC light turning off, release the button.
Within 2 seconds of releasing button, press the VDC button again and and a hill assist light will illuminate on the dash.
Turn off engine.
Restart engine.
Presto!
Read it only works for 09s so far...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Did not work with my 09 WRX. Maybe the procedure is slightly different for the non-sti's.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Should have had my 09 WRX yesterday <grrr>. I was hoping for a way to disable this 'feature' as well. Great for my wife. Though the WRX is not her car. Interested to keep an eye on this...

joneSi

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
The manual says this procedure is for the WRX STI. I assume that means it doesn't work in the regular WRX/Imprezas. It also seems to be a new addition in the 09 manual, so it probably doesn't work for the 08 sti's either. I was getting hopeful.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If an accessport would take care of this, or an opensource tune, or ANYTHING, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Though I honestly have no idea how intrusive this is..yet. But in general, new is bad :D We shall see

joneSi

·
Registered
954 Posts
why dont you guys like this? i honestly love it. doesnt have anything to do with stick driving ability, just makes it easier for ya

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Looking at your mod list, I'd guess that you have driven manuals before. I simply don't want anything to spoil my feeling of the car. This (I think) will do that, though I do not know for sure, because I'm about 2 weeks away from my 09 WRX. I just like a regular old manual, or a ratchet clutch system that the old hill holder was, which would let go as you started to move...IIRC that was on the forester.

joneSi

·
Registered
954 Posts
well, give it a shot before you hate it. iv had had tons of stick cars, trucks, jeeps, etc. . .i love drivin stick. and honestly i didnt think id like the hill assist. but when your tired, on your way home from work, sitting in traffic on a hill, it makes life alot more enjoyable ;)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Ok, Ok, I'll try before I hate on it...like I said, I thought you had driven one or two sticks before, judging by the mod list.

Still, it would be REALLY nice to be able to disable if you so desired.

Maybe I have talked myself into the STi....

joneSi

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah I honestly don't mind it and I've driven a stick forever. It's especially handy if you're parked closely between two cars on a hill and only have inches to wiggle your way out: Not having to worry about rolling makes it that much easier. That being said, every once in a while, when I'm on a slight incline, and it doesn't want to engage without a bang, it's a PITA!
Has anyone else noticed that it also works in Reverse when your rear end is at a higher angle than your front end?

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
hmm it dosent bother me.. I know how to drive a stick but it lets go as soon as you are going foward.. I dont even really notice it.. I think we need to pick our battles on the 3g's and this is not one I would be willing to fight IMO lol..

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would like it more if it didn't clamp down on the brakes so damn hard. I've stalled the car several times, because of it. I wish it acted like the old-style "hill holder" they had on the pre-electronics cars, like my '88 XT6 4WD. That one worked perfectly.

I would love to have a way to have VDC disabled automatically at engine start-up, so I didn't have to hit the button every time I start the car.

Rob

·
Registered
954 Posts
i dont understand why people disable the vdc either, its a great system

·
Registered
954 Posts
because it's intrusive during spirited driving or anything more.
i dont think it is. i drive my car really really hard and have never had it interfere, not a single time

·
Registered
339 Posts
I started shutting mine off about two weeks after I got the car, and had enough miles on it to run it to redline. So I did so... grabbed 2nd, and the car fell on its face, as the VDC fought to "regain" control. From that point it's been off ever since.

I will experiment with it this winter once I get a chance to play in the snow, but I expect it will continue to stay off. Twelve years of SCCA Solo II (autocross) experience tends to teach one how to drive.

Rob

·
Registered
954 Posts
im not sayin that you guys are wrong for turning it off, im just saying with my car and my set up and me behind the wheel, it has never bothered me once and i love the way the car handles

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Ya, it's fine left on the majority of the time, but once a wheel loses traction due to harder driving it can be a little distracting and intrusive. For instance, when the car plows (which it does) it will cut throttle and throw the car off balance, kind of annoying.

·
Registered
954 Posts
are you guys runnin stock tires?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts