Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This usually only happens on start up from a cold engine, after going in reverse then forward in 1st. I hear a "thunk", like something is engaging maybe, but it also sounds like something is shifting (besides 1st gear!). I'm a little worried about it, but it doesn't shake the car or anything and I don't feel it, just hear it if I'm paying attention. My friend was thinking it's one of the differentials engaging, but then wouldn't it happen more often?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
how many miles are on your car? how loud is the thunk? what transmission do you have?

In my experience "thunks" when going forward after moving in reverse are pretty normal. Brake pads often shift in the calipers and make this noise. It should hopefully eventually stop as things break in and rust in place. It's rarely been a long-term problem in my experience. That's my best guess anyway, which is all I can say given that I can't actually hear your specific sound first hand.

·
Registered
700 Posts
in cold ass weather everytime i shift the whole car jerked around. could feel the motor jumping around lol. when its cold outside these cars seem to make alot of noise

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Is your car on a slope when you park? Could be the hill assist.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a manual tranny (09). It happens the most when I back out of my driveway (somewhat sloped) then I go forward on my flat, level street. I wouls say it happens within the first 10-20 ft of going forward. Again, I cannot feel it (which makes me feel better), but it is audible. I wish I could post the sound, maybe I'll record and post on youtube then link here. It kinds sounds muffled but def sounds like something is shifting around. The car is acting totally normal otherwise (and i love it!).

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Your vehicle is very new so it might be some break in noises. Oil is also thicker in the morning and when cold. This might explain the noises until your oil gets in motion and lubricates the transmission when you finally get going.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My car does the same exact thing. Every morning when I back up out of my parking spot, put it in 1st gear, within about 10-20ft or after the clutch is fully released, it makes this sound. Almost like a shifter going into gear or something, but I'm pretty sure it is the exact same noise as yours. It does NOT sound like an ABS check, you would have to hear it to agree with me. I will sit my camera in the seat tomorrow morning and record the sound for you and upload it. Check back to ensure your's sounds the same!

·
Registered
574 Posts
okay, but I'm still pretty sure you're hearing the ABS check. If it's not, you should probably have 2 sounds going on: the one you're hearing + the ABS check. Sort of a dull clunk about 10' after rolling forward in first.

Not sure if the 09 has the same owners manual, but for the 08:

(08 owners manual P.7-28)
When driving off immediately after starting the engine, a short lived operation noise may be noticed... ...this noise is generated as a result of a check being performed on the Vehicle Dynamics Control system and is normal

I've seen quite a few posts on other forums about people wondering wtf the noise was, and every time the answer is "ABS brake check, mine does it too..."

Of course the nice thing about a brand new car is you can always take it to the dealer and have them look at it for free :)

SJ

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Noticed it today in mine as well. Thank you for both pointing out the noise in the thread (I'd have noticed that bugger sooner or later), and then proceeding have someone answer what it is. Auto boards like this are amazing.

joneSi

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, luv this forum! Makes a paranoid @$$ like me feel better.

So, specifically, it's the VDC test, huh? Thanks for pointing that out in the manual. I'll take another look in my 09 manual and reply back to confirm it says the same thing (I can't imagine it doesn't).

So, now that we almost have it solved, let me throw another wrench out...today I did my usual reverse then forward, but purposely I did it very very slowly (really to try and hear the sound) and it didn't happen! I am at 750 miles, I wonder if the diagnostics pick up on the fact I'm approaching the end of break-in so the self test isn't running as often. OK, I'm just fishing now, but you never know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do however agree that it could be the VDC doing a check. It isn't the ABS though, I can tell you that.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
VDC check includes ABS ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
How does the ABS check make that sound though? Why would it be coming from the transmission, seems like it would be continuous hum, coming from the ABS unit, instead of a clunk or grind from the transmission. Weird.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts