Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
15" Winter Wheels on 2008 WRX?

Upgraded my wife's 2000 Impreza to a 2008 WRX this summer. Winter is coming up and I need to figure out if I need to get a new set of winter wheels/tires.

I have a set of P195/60R15 Mich X-Ice's on 15" Subaru Steel wheels that I used on the old Impreza; they still have 75% tread.

Will these wheels fit on the 2008 WRX? Anyone have success mounting old 15"ers on their new G3 WRX's?

My concern is brake caliper clearance, as the brakes are MUCH bigger (rotor diameter & caliper bulk) than the 2000 model. Also, will the slightly smaller diameter of these tires (6.4% smaller than stock) cause issues (other than inaccurate speedo)?

If not 15", any recommendation for winter tires/wheels? ???

sh0rty :p

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Re: 15" Winter Wheels on 2008 WRX?

15 wont cleared
for myself i found out that it was the same price to get 17inchs tire than 16` Steal + tire

·
Registered
220 Posts

i heard 16's dont clear as well...

can you link the size you are going with please.

·
Registered
537 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ended up finding a set of 'cheep' 17" aloy's on Craigs list. They where display models at a store, never mounted on a car, and only one had a tire mounted.

So I'll list my 15" wheels & tires on Craigs list and start looking for some 17" rubber.

Any opinions about the Hankook Icebear W300 for winter performance? Seem to get prety good reviews, are V-Rated, and cost quite a bit less than the more advertised brands.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

Ended up finding a set of 'cheep' 17" aloy's on Craigs list. They where display models at a store, never mounted on a car, and only one had a tire mounted.

So I'll list my 15" wheels & tires on Craigs list and start looking for some 17" rubber.

Any opinions about the Hankook Icebear W300 for winter performance? Seem to get prety good reviews, are V-Rated, and cost quite a bit less than the more advertised brands.

Had the icebears on a civic Si (2002, 3 door hatch model) they were great. Went from UNDRIVEABLE to holding its own in crappy weather. Night and day difference for a FWD. Some people have given them not so good reviews on various models of car, generally saying they don't compare well to blizzaks. I've only had blizzaks (W50s or whatever) on a CRV and that car was unstoppable in snow with those. The icebears were good, but I never did try blizzaks on the civic.

So, I'd say they are fine in the snow. I have 0 experience with them on a WRX, and I am trying out General Tire and their snow tire this year (not the performance winter ones, just the REALLY soft ones). I figure I will take it easy with it this winter...

joneSi

·
Registered
114 Posts

i heard 16's dont clear as well...

can you link the size you are going with please.
16's clear the WRX brake hardware. The brakes are no larger than the 02-07 WRX. Remember the 02-05 WRX came stock with 16's!

I'm running 16" Sport Edition cheapo alloys from TireRack for the winter.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

I'd like to get a set of the 16" wheels from the last gen WRX for my winter setup and powdercoat them gunmetal/grey like the 09 wheels. Still debating it.

·
Registered
81 Posts

i put a set of 16's on mine for the winter. the wheels are from an older model imprezza...2004 maybe, i'd have to check again (got them from a friend for free). painted them black and put some blizzaks on them, and they're working out really well. they're really close to not clearing the brakes...but they do.

-b

1 - 11 of 11 Posts