Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
16" wheels... will they fit?

Before you call me nuts (I'll explain in a moment)... does anybody know if 16" wheels will fit the stock brakes on the 3rd gens?

If so, I want to find a set of 16x9 wheels (I'd settle for 16x8 or 8.5 if I had to) to run the Kumho V710 265/45-16 autocross tires. This would be an even better setup than running 17x9's with 275/40-17 tires. For autox, more sidewall is a GOOD thing because you have better grip at the lower speeds and tighter corners.

Rob

·
Registered
128 Posts
Re: 16" wheels... will they fit?

The '08 WRX brakes are the same up front as the '02-05. Yeah, I'm running OEM '02-'04 WRX wheels right now (winter tires). Some 15s will even fit.

·
Registered
180 Posts

back from the dead post,

hey Rob, how are those wheels working out? I have a set of 255/40/17s that I want to put on a set of wheels (rcomps from my audi) for the track, but was too chicken to pull the trigger. Any fitment issues? can you turn corners with tires that wide?

I am actually considering 16's myself, as the ssr is only 12lbs. vs 16 for the 17"

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I never found a set of 16's that were affordable, so I went with 17x8's instead. I got a set of Drag DR-31s. But right now I'm in the process of exchanging them for a set of MB Weapons in 17x8 (just like the ones I have in 17x7 for my street tires) because the Drags are setup for both 5x100 and 5x114 bolt patterns, and because of that, you have to use those special skinny lug nuts with the 5x100, and they're a pain in the butt to put on because of it. There's just no clearance to get the lugnut started. So America's Tire, being the great company it is with great customer service, is swapping the wheels out for me.

However... it's worth mentioning that I do get some rubbing up front. The offset is 45mm, and frankly for best results you should probably be at 40 or even 35mm (if I have my figures right -- or is it the OTHER direction, e.g. 50 or 55mm -- to push the wheel outward more?). I think I will end up going with longer studs and 1/4" (5mm?) spacers. The rubbing isn't bad (I'm going to run another event this weekend with them this way) but I would like to correct the problem.

Rob

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

I'm using Forester XT wheels (16") on my 08 WRX for winter. they were $100 for the set on Craigslist.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yeah those are good deals on wheels for the winter. I put winter tires on my stock 17's (Dunlop Winter Sport 3D, 205/55-17) on my stockers. That's why I picked up a set of MB Weapon 17x7's for my Kumho ASX street tires, so I don't have to run the winter tires unless I'm likely to be in winter weather.

But to get good 16's for racing, you're looking at $$$$. I'd love a set of CCW 16x8.5 or 16x9 with the right offset, but that'd cost me about $2400 for the set. No thanks. :)

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts