Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
18" wheels on WRX?

anyone install 18" wheels on their WRX? I'm curious how it looks... my factory potenza tires are going dead and I want fatter tires but it'd be hard to fit anything above 215 or 225 on a 17x7.5" wheel...

so if you've got fat tires on either 17" or 18" -- post some pictures please!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Re: 18" wheels on WRX?

Not to hijack your thread (topic related question though)... But do you guys know what the largest/widest wheel/tire combo is? I want the widest I can get considering I'm rolling on STI Pink Springs. If you guys know, thanks. I'll post pics once I get the wheel/tires picked out, pt on. I got some good ideas for now though. I just need to verify fitment and them I'm getting them babies!!!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

that's really what I'm trying to figure out

I've seen 245/35 clear everything with spacers -- I believe it was on an 18" rim with a 51mm offset and 3mm spacer -- but this was on the 2007 WRX wagon model...

you can basically clear anything with spacers and fender rolling...

but I WOULD like to see what people have done, maybe NASIOC is a better place for this type of question.

EDIT: here's an EVO running 265/35 on 18x9.5 -- 45mm offset... Bridgestone Potenza RE750 tires

but there comes a point where your wheel bearings and handling suffer...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Here's something from the Perrin 08 WRX build

The beauty with the 2008 is there’s tons of room use some nice wide tires. On the PERRIN Performance car we used 245 wide tires which are perfect for zero rubbing issues. Its very similar to putting 225s on the GD body. I can’t wait until the 2008 STI comes out! Dare I say 265 or 275 with no issues???
Their car is slammed too so figure 17x8 with 245's is no problem with STi pinks. When all else fails you can always measure too. Check this site out if you haven't seen it before. You could also call subydude for advice since they've sold pretty much every wheel and tire combo.

http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/info_specs.jsp

·
Registered
1,843 Posts

PIAA Sport Mesh 18 x 7.5 +48 Offset - Hyper Black Finish
RAYS Engineering Lug Nuts - Anodized Black
Falken Azenis RT-615 - 225/40ZR18

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

Yeah, check Nasioc, although the 08 specific info might be lacking there.

The people on nasioc tend to have deeper pockets though...not saying we're poor at 3g, but let's be honest, most of us wouldn't drop 20 grand on an engine build :p

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

yeah, must be nice when your parents pay all the bills ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts

18X8" +48 P45F's with 235/40/18 RT-615's, or they might be 235/45/18. With 7 sets of wheels it gets hard to remember which one has which tire now.

These are from the day I bought the car so it wasn't lowered yet.

This is with STI Pinks- didn't have any rubbing issues at all

·
Registered
64 Posts

These are 17x8" +48 G-Force with 235/40/17 ST-115's

And just for the heck of it. The current setup 17x7.5 04 BBS with 225/45/17 Fierce HP

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

too many wheels!

I like it best on wide 18s with a big offset so they stick out a little

·
Registered
24 Posts

When I owned my EVO :'( I ran 18 x 9 with 29 mm offset with 255/35/18 and they rubbed like crazy. I don't know about this car... That's the main thing I want to avoid. I have seen so many sites saying so many different size/width/offset that I don't even know who to believe. I have seen as large as 19 x 8.5... I don't know if it is true but the site claims they will fit. I want the widest wheel/tire that will fit with no issue. It makes such a big difference especially during cornering. Keep me posted if you hear anything else.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

stick with 18x8 and you should be good

the offset should be in the 40s (I think?)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts

The people on nasioc tend to have deeper pockets though...not saying we're poor at 3g, but let's be honest, most of us wouldn't drop 20 grand on an engine build :p
there is a difference on owning a brand new WRX than a 5 year old WRX... when the car is paid than you have more money to put on it

·
Registered
138 Posts

there is a difference on owning a brand new WRX than a 5 year old WRX... when the car is paid than you have more money to put on it
Good point Courteau - and this is just my personal feeling but I don't feel comfortable getting in and messing with the engine, exhaust etc etc until it's not quite such a "new" car... (the ECU/electronics in teh car kinda freak me out)

That's why my performance mods will most likely be on the cosmetic/suspension/braking side for a while yet. The next thing I'm looking into is the rims/tires set-up. By the way, mind me askiing what you paid for yours? Unfortunately I'm looking at around minimum 3 and a half grand for 17/225/50 (the size I plan to go with)...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts

i Cleared out my Wheels/Tires/Nut packages for 2000$

·
Registered
217 Posts

18 x 8 OZ Superleggera with 225/40/18 RE750

1 - 20 of 20 Posts