Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I couldn't resist and finally had to and add a few more bits n pieces.

Here are some pics of my new STi grille, debadged of course, done at Subaru for roughly US$300. I definatly think it was worth it.

Might have to look closely, but maybe the blue aluminium nut-shaped valve caps are visible here?? That's the other 'mod'.

Sorry if I got your hopes up with the facetious title ;)

On another note, I have decided to hold off on the springs (pinks) for now, until I am ready to go about some real business with the suspension. The reason for that is, (upon consultation with various tuning shops around here), that there is apparantly no real performance to be gained from installing only the springs - in fact, the general consensus was that it would actually hurt handling and ride especially when the springs are put on the car coupled with teh stock shocks etc - the main benifit of instaliing springs being lowering ride-height for cosmetic reasons...

But at least I've got push start ::)

That's got to help aerodynamics or something, right??

On a sadder note, (maybe?) I'll say some philosohpical things so please bear with me.

The wife knew I did something to the car, because I told her I was, ( I said the grille cost 300 bucks, but actually it was 600 cause I had to buy a 300 dollar thing for her in exchange - that's the fucked up rule in my house - I want something I don't really need, that's fine, I just need to let her equal it...)

She sat and stared, not very long mind you because, you know - Cars just "all look the same" to her - but she couldn't pick out what the difference was, and she was being honest.

It reinforced what I already know about, a personal thing like cars... The grille is a huge deal to me, absolutely not for 99.9% of whoever takes enough interest to even look at my car and the .01 of that who actually notice the grille. ..

So that's why sites like this are so important - because I know here, at least, a couple people maybe will look, and know what they are looking at, and maybe even appreciate things about these cars half as much as I do.

We are the .001% lets enjoy it! :)

Here's another gratuitous pic for good measure ;)

·
Registered
764 Posts
DAYUMM a Push Start Button :eek: Very nice and Sweet looking Ride!!! latez...

·
Registered
421 Posts
i must admit i was disappointed to see no answer to getting 55 bhp haahaha

but i love the engine start button!!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Push start??
How did you get that?
DAYUMM a Push Start Button :eek: Very nice and Sweet looking Ride!!! latez...
The Sti grill looks VERY VERY nice on your black car. Blends in nicely. Not to mention the vlips.
i must admit i was disappointed to see no answer to getting 55 bhp haahaha

but i love the engine start button!!!!
Sorry man, yeah maybe I should change that eh?? Might piss a few people off lol

Thanks for the comments guys - as far as the button goes I think "Push Start" comes standard on S-GT/STi over here, maybe Europe too?? I didn't know you couldn't get it over there as an option even...

·
Registered
706 Posts
I love the STi Grill. I'm gonna have to get some STi Parts when I work on mine. I have to admit i have some buyers remorse and kinda wish i would have just spend the extra on the STi to start with

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the STi Grill. I'm gonna have to get some STi Parts when I work on mine. I have to admit i have some buyers remorse and kinda wish i would have just spend the extra on the STi to start with

The sky's the limit when it comes to bigger and better and badder and you know, it's basically endless when you think about it, right?? Why not just concentrate on what you have now and dream about the next great thing you're gonna get next time, so you('ll always) have something to look forward to, if that makes any sense... In my mind it's better to have stuff to look forward to... But yeah, I know what you mean.

But my buddy mentioned the other day - "Think about it, " he said. "What's the fastest car, like a Ferrari whatever or you know, (whatever) car -the fastest prod. car in the world - the fastest a street car is ever going to go 0-60 is in the 3. something second range. Your (S-GT) is in the 5. somehing rsecond ange. That Porsche 911 you were dreaming about in Junior High was in the 6 second range. And that's just the straight acceleration spec. - think about the overall package."

You know what? I agreed with him - it's all relative. I think it might be easy to have an inadequacy complex even while owning car like a (WRX), that is if you start comparing with everything else that's out there... but if you really have to do that, I mean compare your stuff with other things that is, then why not go a few years into the past and compare with what they had then?? You mihgt feel a little better?? I don't know... ???

Anyway, my point being I believe the pursuit of constantly comparing with other things is setting one's self up for a fall...one is bound to be disappointed at some point... Now that's "Kung-Fu" if I've ever heard it lol!!

Look at it this way, there's nothing to feel bad about - your car is your car and it's up to you to like it or not regardless of what other people say or what other things are out there. There still is the STi - you can get that next time :) and so, most likely, will I :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got a dull knife and a toe that I'm not really committed to if someone can figure out how to get push-button to work on a US rex....

·
Registered
178 Posts
I love my Rex. I admit I've modified the bits I was not happy with, and that was enough for me. It's so nice to like your car more and more, than the day that you bought it. I'm still 4 mods away from total satisfaction, and that is a good thing. In some years I might consider the STI, now that is only, and only if I want it. Don't listen to your friends. They can say all they want, but they don't pay for the stuff you buy . You buy, whatever you like best, and/or can afford. There is always someone who will say things in both negative and positive ways.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Here are some pics of my new STi grille, debadged of course, done at Subaru for roughly US0. I definatly think it was worth it.
hey, banion, you're in Japan, right? i think i remember you mentioning it to me once...

it is just that your ride has an ETC console below the Start button...

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I'm the type of person who likes to look at pictures first then read to make sense of the pictures and well. When I first thing I noticed on the car was the debadged STI emblem on the grille.

Anyways I'm thinking the blue stem cap should be pushing an extra 65/66 hp instead of the 55 you propose. Might want to toss her up on the dyno to make sure :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm the type of person who likes to look at pictures first then read to make sense of the pictures and well. When I first thing I noticed on the car was the debadged STI emblem on the grille.

Anyways I'm thinking the blue stem cap should be pushing an extra 65/66 hp instead of the 55 you propose. Might want to toss her up on the dyno to make sure :D
hahahahaha...!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Here are some pics of my new STi grille, debadged of course, done at Subaru for roughly US0. I definatly think it was worth it.
hey, banion, you're in Japan, right? i think i remember you mentioning it to me once...

it is just that your ride has an ETC console below the Start button...

Yeah, here in Japan... It has basically turned into "home sweet home" for me nowadays...

And yes, you are right it's an ETC thing there under the dash. (If anybody's wondering ETC is an automatic sensor gadget to pay highway tolls etc directly through your bank account - I think almost every new car must have one installed these days in Japan - what it also does is take a few meters off braking distance so no need for those Brembo's anymore :-*).

I've got a dull knife and a toe that I'm not really committed to if someone can figure out how to get push-button to work on a US rex....
lol Forget about the car! What I really need is a push start/stop button that works on the wife!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bump for this post!

Can you please PM me how you fitted your Start Switch and where you got it from ?

Looks mint, as if it were standard!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i think he said it come standard on his car
but i also want to know if its possible to install it on a WRX ? even with the transpondeur key ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts