Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we N/A need some rumble-love too :(

so after some research ive found that consistently the best sound out there for me is Stromung.

the only problem is they clearly dont make a dual exhaust, so here are my questions:

1. How would i go about putting Stromung on my car? should i order the Cat-back from a RS and make it fit? Should i just order the muffler? does anyone know what would fit?

2. How could i get rid of the exhaust hole on the other side of my car (does the dealer sell inserts?) or is there maybe a way to run two Stromung mufflers?? (pricey??)

3. Also would Borla UELs for the 2.5i work on our car? would we need the STi oil can or something like that? (and would it require significant O2 sensor stuff)

4. would new headers require new high-flow cats?

i know thats a lot of lacking info but please people i want some rumble!!

btw im looking at http://boxer4racing.com/ for a lot of this stuff

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump...

ok so after so reading ive found that this should work on an 07 at least... dunno if anything is different for the 08?? (like the oil can...)

-Borla headers (which must be coupled with...)
-Stromung High flow Cat
-Stromung Cat back.
also needed: O2 wire extension and possibly ralliteks O2 sensor spacer

tell me if you guys think this will work on my car! (including hangar situation and fitment etc.)

·
Registered
128 Posts
The catback will not work. The '08s have a completely different rear suspension and the bends that route around the suspension are completely different. I would suggest getting a stock WRX midpipe from someone who's looking to get rid of theirs.. and have a custom axleback slapped together by a local exhaust shop using some universal Magnaflows or Borlas.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
we N/A need some rumble-love too :(

so after some research ive found that consistently the best sound out there for me is Stromung.

the only problem is they clearly dont make a dual exhaust, so here are my questions:

1. How would i go about putting Stromung on my car? should i order the Cat-back from a RS and make it fit? Should i just order the muffler? does anyone know what would fit?

2. How could i get rid of the exhaust hole on the other side of my car (does the dealer sell inserts?) or is there maybe a way to run two Stromung mufflers?? (pricey??)

3. Also would Borla UELs for the 2.5i work on our car? would we need the STi oil can or something like that? (and would it require significant O2 sensor stuff)

4. would new headers require new high-flow cats?

i know thats a lot of lacking info but please people i want some rumble!!

btw im looking at http://boxer4racing.com/ for a lot of this stuff
Battlesnake, i think you should buy a stromung single tip axleback. Then take that axleback to an exhaust shop and have them cut off the tip and create a new rear section on it to fit the stock 08 midpipe (or have them make a custom midpipe.)

The setup on my old RS was a borla UEL, stock cat, and stromung catback...best sound IMHO...hi flow cats are expensive and don't offer that much more performance and don't sound as good as a stock cat).

That's my recommendation...err, it's what i'd do, and i'm very particular about my car.

Also, i think (**but i'm not sure**) the borla UELs will fit on the 08 NA impreza, but i think they changed the location of the oil filter and the header comes very close to it (which could melt it...which would be REALLY bad)...the UEL borla may work though if you wrap the header with fiberglass wrap and then shield the filter in some way....i believe this is the case, but don't quote me or anything.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battlesnake, i think you should buy a stromung single tip axleback. Then take that axleback to an exhaust shop and have them cut off the tip and create a new rear section on it to fit the stock 08 midpipe (or have them make a custom midpipe.)

The setup on my old RS was a borla UEL, stock cat, and stromung catback...best sound IMHO...hi flow cats are expensive and don't offer that much more performance and don't sound as good as a stock cat).

That's my recommendation...err, it's what i'd do, and i'm very particular about my car.

Also, i think (**but i'm not sure**) the borla UELs will fit on the 08 NA impreza, but i think they changed the location of the oil filter and the header comes very close to it (which could melt it...which would be REALLY bad)...the UEL borla may work though if you wrap the header with fiberglass wrap and then shield the filter in some way....i believe this is the case, but don't quote me or anything.
thats what im planning on doing now. however three questions:

1. Does the UEL borla header fit with the stock Cat? ive heard varied things about this...

2. Could it be possible to buy two Stromung Axle-backs and have the exhaust shop rotate the piping/hangars of one of them, run both 2.25" pipes into one 2.5" pipe, and run that midpipe back to the Cat? I dont think backpressure would be too bad because theres a guy on here with the Borla WRX Cat-Back which runs a 3" pipe into two 2.5" and he says its fine so this should be even safer. I really wanna do this cause i think i could be a pioneer in terms of true duel stromung mufflers... and tell me that wouldnt sound fantastic...

3. I think i heard someone say you could buy the STi's oil filter which is smaller? im not sure... if its even an issue though...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The borla UEL header fits directly to the OEM cat on the 99-01 impreza for sure...because I've done it.
(I do not know if it will fit the 08 design or if the 08 layout is different in terms of cat position).

Btw, if you do borlas, wrap them in exhaust wrap, it will prevent check engine lights and cause your cat to function more efficiently, also do the o2 spacer mod...you shouldn't get any CELs that way, although you might if you don't do those mods. I wrapped and did spacer, never got a CEL.

Anything is possible as far as running dual stromungs, cost and lack of backpressure are my only concerns...you will lose some backpressure with headers.

No idea about oil filter.

·
Registered
128 Posts
thats what im planning on doing now. however three questions:

1. Does the UEL borla header fit with the stock Cat? ive heard varied things about this...

2. Could it be possible to buy two Stromung Axle-backs and have the exhaust shop rotate the piping/hangars of one of them, run both 2.25" pipes into one 2.5" pipe, and run that midpipe back to the Cat? I dont think backpressure would be too bad because theres a guy on here with the Borla WRX Cat-Back which runs a 3" pipe into two 2.5" and he says its fine so this should be even safer. I really wanna do this cause i think i could be a pioneer in terms of true duel stromung mufflers... and tell me that wouldnt sound fantastic...

3. I think i heard someone say you could buy the STi's oil filter which is smaller? im not sure... if its even an issue though...
Why spend $380+ shipping (the cheapest Stromung axle-backs) on each of two Stromung mufflers, only to have a shop charge you another $200 to hack them up and put them on your car? They're going to be the wrong size and degrade your performance.. and they aren't going to sound the same on a dual system as they do on a single system. Most of what you're paying for with a brand name exhaust is the mandrel bent piping.. not the muffler itself.

Seriously, buy some $80-$120 universal canisters from mangaflow or borla... or at the very least, talk to Mr Stromung himself and see if he's planning to build a system... you could land yourself a prototype exhaust.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rallyshark:

ill try wrapping it and also O2 spacer and extension are needed i already knew that (did some research :) ) although still not sure about stock cat fitment...

as for backpressure i might lose a bit but that other guy swears his borla 3" --> 2.5" doesnt hurt him noticably

Beaverboy:

what you say makes a lot of sense but i dont live in California (i live in MA) ... does that mean i cant be a prototype tester?

also in terms of universal canister:

1. would dual of these be better sounding than a single Stromung??

2. and what would you recommend?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Beaverboy:

what you say makes a lot of sense but i dont live in California (i live in MA) ... does that mean i cant be a prototype tester?

also in terms of universal canister:

1. would dual of these be better sounding than a single Stromung??

2. and what would you recommend?
Sometimes prototype testers are needed to test user-end installs, so that's certainly a possibility. I don't have any clue how Mr. Stromung handles that stuff, though.

1. Impossible to say... but not much sounds better than a single Stromung. I can understand your want for that sound.

2. I had a buddy with an 02 WRX with a universal Magnaflow Street Series muffler welded on to the axelback. It sounded excellent. Then again, I've also heard people complain about the sound of some Street Series mufflers.... but I've yet to hear a decent sized straight-through canister exhaust on an NA Subaru with borlas that sounds bad at all (I still own my '99 RS w/ Borla replicas). Pretty much anything in the in the 2.25-2.5" diameter range that's got a large canister and a straight-through perforated design should be good. Don't go for something with an inside diameter of 4" (fart-can style), as those seem to let more of the high frequency noise out. You just want low frequency rumble. In other words, you want as big a canister (with decent quality wadding) that will fit underneath to absorb the exhaust noise.. but you want a straight-through design to maintain the exhaust pulses created by the header.. which makes the rumble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts