Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my 2.5i out to the Autocross track.

First of all, I'm not a pro driver or anything.

I'd like to think I'm decently good, but doesn't everyone? ;)

This is my third-ish autocross season. All the cars i've raced have been subarus. Two different 2000 2.5RSs, and a friend's heavily modded SVX. More often than not, I've gotten 1st through 3rd place, usually in a field of 7 or more.

My setup for my 5 runs:

-Perrin 22mm front bar set to full stiff with Perrin front endlinks
-Perrin 19mm rear bar set to medium stiffness with Rallitek Rear endlinks
-Cusco Front Strut Tower Brace
-STI Pinks
-2002 WRX 16x6.5" wheels with Falken Azenis RT-615s, 215/45R16 (Yes, this is LESS than stock tire diameter, which tends to give better acceleration)
-I was running 42 PSI cold on all four tires and I balanced the temps on the tires to 45 PSI once hot, which seemed pretty good.
-VDC was "ON"...(I forgot to try turning it off, although it wasn't blatantly obvious that it was hindering me, and it may have helped)
-Outside Temp was low 90s Fahrenheit and probably about 75-85% humidity and occasional gray clouds. (OMG, it was a hot day, I had a nice Burger King Oreo Shake after it was all over!)
-completely stock engine, intake, and exhaust (not even an axleback or hi-flow filter)

Observations:

First of all, the car handled very predictably. Didn't hit any cones, no-spin-outs.

Occasionally the car would lose the rear end for about half a second and then regain control.

When pushing the car too hard, I'd tend to understeer (as one would think with my sway setup) Oversteering is fun and all, but it does tend to slow you down if you have too much of it.

The stock brakes on the 2.5i premium are REALLY good, they seemed to brake better than the Subaru 4 pot fronts and 2 pot rears I had on a previous impreza.

Stock struts did okay as well. While I agree that the stock struts are under-damped for the STI pinks, I really didn't notice as much on the autocross course as I do while on the street.

Tires started to get a little too hot and started handling "greasy" by the 5th run. (I'm sure the lawn & garden water sprayer that everyone seems to have would help a bit with that. I guess this is a known problem with the RT-615s when they get too hot)

Conclusions:

Very happy with the 2.5i performance. Acceleration seemed very good for a non-turbo. Handling was very good as well.

I'm probably going to adjust the rear bar to go slightly stiffer for the next time as it was a little too plow-happy at times, although not too much.

I also noticed that I wasn't braking as aggressively as I should have been. I tended to brake earlier and lighter than I should have. Hopefully I can correct this next time :)

Oh yeah, and I'll definitely try it without the VDC on.

I ran STS in a field of 7, got 3rd place and a trophy. Lost to two modded-out focus ZX3s :-[ Ah well, they know their cars alot better on an autocross track than I do for sure....for now ;D

--------------------

I hope this was helpful for some of the NA guys who want to have just as much fun with their cars as WRX owners do

·
Registered
382 Posts
Great right up, thanks.

PS: Fear the Foci! ;)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Congrats :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
good work. those civics and focuses running sts can be quite tough. turn that vdc off! you'll be able to get on the gas a lot earlier, at least if you drive pretty aggressive like me ;) i just got a sprayer myself because the tires were getting super hot. the other issue that i notice is that the brakes seem to have pretty poor cooling for real aggressive driving, so mine were blazing hot on a day where i was getting a lot of consecutive runs.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

The spread between 1st and 3rd in STS was 1 second....first place ran 43.1, 2nd was 43.6, I ran 44.1...really close, was fun though.

hopefully I can post up some pictures with the car in action. They usually take pictures at the event, although I didn't have a friend taking pictures specifically for me or anything.

It was really funny when some high-school kid running a new civic SI hatch in STS ran DNFs on all his runs because he wouldn't run a cone slalom, he just drove straight past it...even with an instructor in the car :p

Piperdriver (from 3Gwrx) was there as well, he did pretty good as well, but with a bone stock wrx suspension

·
Registered
519 Posts
LOL yep I was there. They put me in the wrong class STX when I should have been in STU. My best time was 47.180 with stock suspension and tires, and the other mods listed in my sig, and an over driving fool like me behind the wheel LOL! If I would have stayed for the trophies I would have gotten one although by default as there was just me and another guy who spanked me with a Mini Cooper LOL. His times where in the low to mid 43 sec.

I found that the car pushed bad (my over driving) off the gas, but coming out of the corners and on the gas the rear would come out with some good wheel spin. I ran 42 psi front and around 48 in the rear. I am not a serious racer so I was just out for fun so I didn't mess with air pressures at all. Just ran it. I think that if I had been lighter on the go pedal I could have improved my times, but it sure was fun getting the wheels to spin out of the corners and hear that turbo work.

As it was I was about 3 sec. off the pace of a good driver in another 08 WRX that had the strut bar, STi pinks, sways, and some good tires on. I am sure with some more racing under my belt, some suspension mods, and the desire to be competitive not just go beat the track up I might do a little better. But it sure was a good time.

·
Registered
519 Posts
And fun it is. I had a blast! I will be out again next season for a few of them. Hopefully I will save some money while in Iraq so I can mod the suspension some.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts