Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just recently purchased a 2002 Subaru impresa wrx sedan and i want to put a short ram air intake. The car is completely stock except for a aftermarket exhaust, new blow off valve, and a new suspension. I want to install a short ram air intake and get ride of the stock one, but i don't know if it will mess anything up, because everything in the engine bay is completely stock except for an aftermarket blow off valve. Just looking for answers from people that know more about wrx engines more than i do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Put the stock bpv back on, leave the stock intake on, and spend your money on better modifications. If you want power, the cheapest and easiest boost is to get a tune. Even with all stock parts, a tune will do way more than an intake

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, I just recently purchased a 2002 Subaru impresa wrx sedan and i want to put a short ram air intake. The car is completely stock except for a aftermarket exhaust, new blow off valve, and a new suspension. I want to install a short ram air intake and get ride of the stock one, but i don't know if it will mess anything up, because everything in the engine bay is completely stock except for an aftermarket blow off valve. Just looking for answers from people that know more about wrx engines more than i do.
I haven't posted in forever, but randomly this showed up in my inbox.

As far as you should be concerned, the BOV is more harmful than your short ram intake. When I say harmful, I mean comparatively. Your WRX is expecting that venting to go back into the intake for re-combustion (an emissions thing). However, during that cycle when you vent to atmosphere the engine will run rich briefly because there is less air than intended. This has been argued since the dawn of time and the overall consensus is that a BOV is not a big deal. I have an adjustable TurboXS Hybrid valve in my '09. I get the whoosh, but I still get some back in the intake. The problem is still there, but less so.

As far as your intake is concerned, it is fine. Simply put, you can't take in too much air. The only question is where are you taking it from? With a short ram you are sucking engine air (mostly hot). However, the air has a shorter distance to travel and thereby can increase acceleration and throttle response (nothing worth timing). A cold air intake grabs air from the wheel well (usually cooler air than the engine bay), but the tubing is longer and can slow acceleration and throttle responsiveness (again, nothing worth timing). However, a short ram will give you that extra noise you probably desire. Cooler air is more favorable in forced induction cars, but for a daily driver it is not a big deal unless you beat on it.

I hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts