Subaru WRX Forums banner

2008 Impreza Sport noises

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  saturn 
#1 ·
Has anyone experience a "buzzing" vibration noise on de-acceleration in the 3000 - 4000 RPM range? It sound like an exhaust shield but the dealer cannot find the cause. Only happens on decell.

Also looking for a cure for the wind noise from the factory roof rack cross bars. I have'nt put on the ski holder yet so do not know if that will change the noise. I also found that the channels in the rack bars will whistle. Fixed with tape while dealer is looking for a filler strip.

Thanks

David
I hate noises.

#2 ·
try to see if the noise is still there on deceleration if you have TCS disabled... it might just be NVH from the transmission... which though annoying, is completely normal. also make sure you don't have things like loose change or something in the cup holders.

for the wind noise, get one of those fairings that goes in front to deflect wind:

you could probably make one yourself out of some plastic. unfortunately, roof racks make noise. there's no way around it. the car isn't designed with that in mind, it's designed to be aerodynamic... so all of that wind is going to hit the roof rack.

#3 ·
I hear the same exact noise on deceleration i think only in 2nd gear from 3-2000 rpm just like you said. I have not mentioned it to dealer yet but probably should before i go and void my warranty on purpose. Its definitely not loose change my friend. I almost think it has something to do with the turbo, because i used to have a turbo diesel F250 that made a similar sound on deceleration. But i am no car buff.

#5 ·
I have the same noise. I brought it into the dealer to get it checked out (that's why you have the warranty right?) He went on a test drive and heard the noise as well. While he said its uncommon on the later model 5MT's it was common on the 02/03 WRX's. He said it's the pressure plate and clutch chattering against each other. He said the dual mass flywheel just exaggerates the problem. He said there is no real fix for the problem just changing driving habits.

It's odd, mine seams louder when its warm out. Since it's been cooling off it hasn't happened as much.

Best,

method.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.